Looking for dealership to do transmission work

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 03:18 PM
neckthrough
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for dealership to do transmission work

Hi all,

I have a 2010 997.2 C2S 6spd that is currently under CPO. About 1 in 4 times the transmission refuses to go into 1st gear. Re-clutching or shifting into 2nd and then 1st usually does the trick. Since the car is under warranty, I decided to get it looked into by a dealership, who I shall not name publicly at this point.

The dealership reproduced the problem, and found metal traces in the transmission fluid, reasoning that it could be a faulty synchro. However, they found range 1 and 2 overrevs during the DME test and at first ruled that they wouldn't cover the repair. I pushed back because the car already had range 2 overrevs at the time it was being CPO'd. The matter was escalated to the service manager, who then sent all the information to PCNA for warranty approval.

This was on July 18, 2018. Since then, I've had 10+ conversations with the service manager over email, phone and around 4 in-person visits. He has been extremely courteous, but has been constantly stalling one way or the other. At first he was out on training. Then he said there was a specific representative who acts as his go-between with PCNA, and he was unable to get in touch with him. At some point he also mentioned that he does not have the capability to take apart and repair the transmission, though perhaps it could be replaced. During another conversation he mentioned that even if PCNA authorized the repair, he would have to figure out exactly who would do the work (or something to that effect). Each conversation has ended along the lines of "I'll have an answer for you by Friday" or "by next week". His courtesy and my own life activities kept me going back to him---I've dreaded re-starting the entire process with another dealership, having to re-argue about the DME, etc.

But the CPO is ticking away, and after 3 months of stalling I have no choice but to look at another dealership. I think I made a mistake with my first choice of dealership - they do not appear to be technically inclined to do such work. That's what I'm reaching out to you all for. Could you recommend a dealership in the NE region? I'm considering Norwell because they seem to be PCA-friendly, though they are a little far from me (Worcester area). Any other recommendations? Is there anything else I could do?

Thank you all very much for your time.

Last edited by neckthrough; 10-18-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-19-2018, 01:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by neckthrough
The matter was escalated to the service manager, who then sent all the information to PCNA for warranty approval.

.... At some point he also mentioned that he does not have the capability to take apart and repair the transmission, though perhaps it could be replaced. During another conversation he mentioned that even if PCNA authorized the repair, he would have to figure out exactly who would do the work (or something to that effect).
There’s a lot to unpack there.

As far as I know, having been told the following by several factory techs, Yes, skills to take apart the transaxle (pedantically, not a transmission) or the engine are increasingly scarce since it has been more than a decade since Porsche allowed technicians to wallow-around in the guts. Only replacement with rebuilt units is allowed. The fact that this wasn’t explained is fishy.

The current dealer: did they do the CPO? Or was it another dealer? If the former then you must go to another dealer.

I would call PCNA directly and attempt to determine if indeed your case has been presented by the dealer or not.

Given your location, I suspect I know the dealer with which you are dealing. You’ll probably need to look closer to Boston or Hartford.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looking for dealership to do transmission work