Sponsored by:

Taycan official reveal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Taycan official reveal

24hrs before the official reveal, and still no big leaks? Wow, Porsche has bested even Apple for secrecy. Please post official news and images here, leaked or otherwise.

Theory: Porsche kept final details from leaking by inviting most auto journalists inside the tent early in exchange for signing iron clad NDAs that not only restricted their ability to report whatever they learned from such access that Porsche said they couldn’t but also bound them not to report or pass along any leaks they received from any other source.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

No big leaks? You're kidding, right?

Official interior pictures have been released.
Repeated 0-200 Kmh launches have been done by journo.
Car has been driven by about a dozen journos.
Camo is reduced to all but nothing. If it was a stripper, it's be wearing dental floss and pasties at this point.
Drivetribe article published full stats that were "informed guesses" that even included a statement along the lines of "I was told not to quote any figures, so these are 'informed guesses', but I was there and spoke to the engineers. So you can use your imagination whether to trust them or not".

About the only thing we don't know at this point is the official range and pricing.
The following users liked this post:
whiz944 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Those aren’t leaks. That’s all info Porsche allowed to be released on purpose, such as the interior dash pics, the journalist drives of cars with camo, etc.

By no leaks, I mean that less than 24 hours before the official reveal, we still haven’t seen any pictures of the car without camouflage other than renderings, no leaks of any official pics or videos of non-camo’d cars, which have obviously been in the can now for weeks if not longer. Officially released pics and videos that tease closeups of certain parts of the body without camo aren’t leaks, those are carefully crafted official press releases.

No spy pics of any cars in final form without camo.

No confirmed official specs except for the ones Porsche wanted us to know. For example, we still don’t know official 0-60mph times (just “substantially below 3.5 secs repeatable” which Porsche told us, and educated guesses from journalists). We still don’t know any official range figures. We still don’t know official HP figures, just ranges. Charging details. Etc.

All I’m saying is, Porsche has kept this all remarkably under wraps. Apple, which is renowned for secrecy, hasn’t managed to prevent the same from happening for many of its biggest launches in the last several years.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Those aren’t leaks. That’s all info Porsche allowed to be released on purpose, such as the interior dash pics, the journalist drives of cars with camo, etc.

By no leaks, I mean that less than 24 hours before the official reveal, we still haven’t seen any pictures of the car without camouflage other than renderings, no leaks of any official pics or videos of non-camo’d cars, which have obviously been in the can now for weeks if not longer. Officially released pics and videos that tease closeups of certain parts of the body without camo aren’t leaks, those are carefully crafted official press releases.

No spy pics of any cars in final form without camo.

No confirmed official specs except for the ones Porsche wanted us to know. For example, we still don’t know official 0-60mph times (just “substantially below 3.5 secs repeatable” which Porsche told us, and educated guesses from journalists). We still don’t know any official range figures. We still don’t know official HP figures, just ranges. Charging details. Etc.

All I’m saying is, Porsche has kept this all remarkably under wraps. Apple, which is renowned for secrecy, hasn’t managed to prevent the same from happening for many of its biggest launches in the last several years.
Apple's products aren't made in Apple's factories and have about 1000x the userbase.

...but I agree Porsche has done a good job.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

Yeah, I get your point. You're probably right, in that they likely struck a deal with all the journos to publish all of these tests, etc. in exchange for not leaking any final pics. Still, we have 24 hours to go and usually SOMEONE breaks the embargo by a few hours. Case in point the C8 reveal was picked up by Motor Authority about 4 hours before the presentation.

Originally Posted by destaccado
Apple's products aren't made in Apple's factories and have about 1000x the userbase.

...but I agree Porsche has done a good job.
Yeah, they have done a good job.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:57 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Porsche had never acknowledged it has a second gear yet everyone knows that already. That does not count as a leak?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM
JayGT4
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

There's this video captured by a member at Taycan Forum previewing the video we're going to see tonight probably.

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/...d-blurred.509/

Porsche pulled the video apparently. Perhaps too revealing or posted by accident?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:52 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JayGT4
There's this video captured by a member at Taycan Forum previewing the video we're going to see tonight probably.

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/...d-blurred.509/

Porsche pulled the video apparently. Perhaps too revealing or posted by accident?
Blurred, it looks like a baby Panamera with new headlights.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 56 Posts

you think this will be up on the configurator tomorrow afternoon?
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-03-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 01:37 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
you think this will be up on the configurator tomorrow afternoon?
Usually they wait a day... but this is a huge deal for Porsche and I can see them launching it right away.

Quick Reply: Taycan official reveal