Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Production Spy Photos

Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Definitely not a Panny body and also definitely not how it's gonna look when uncamflouged with property equipment, stance, wheels. Generally, I think it's about what I expected in terms of a production version of the car and I expected the trim and wheels will make it look a lot sleeker than the Panny. I think the rear view especially looks great. Nice haunches.

Anyone who expects a dirty, black, camo'd, mismatched wheel, test car will ever look great is expecting too much. That car, in white, properly trimmed and wheeled could look positively epic.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Not many 4 door cars have gone to production with full size suicide doors. Maybe the 1960 Lincoln Continental, and a Rolls (Phantom?)

I was hoping that it's the chassis with a Panamera body covering it for a mule, but then why bother to go through the motion of disguising a Panny?

I am amused by the fake tail exhaust pipes.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
The facility is still being built.. how is this a pre-prod vehicle.. lol comon!
It's obviously not a Panamera body. You are saying they would build at least four identical cars with a fully detailed new design/body style (new sheet metal, doors, headlights, taillights, mirrors, bumpers, door handles, glass etc) that is not essentially the final design? Comon, indeed.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Yep. I'm much less excited about the mission E if it looks like that.
Totally agree with you... a little underwhelming
Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudplay
It's obviously not a Panamera body. You are saying they would build at least four identical cars with a fully detailed new design/body style (new sheet metal, doors, headlights, taillights, mirrors, bumpers, door handles, glass etc) that is not essentially the final design? Comon, indeed.
You still haven't explained how this is a pre-prod vehicle.. You have no clue what it is, yet you are certain... COMON!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

You still haven't explained how this is a pre-prod vehicle.. You have no clue what it is, yet you are certain... COMON!
Instead of insulting me, why don't educate us about your interpretation of the state of Mission E development and how the final product will be different from is seen here (other than camo, wheels and maybe stance)? What are we looking at, if not a car with essentially the final design under the camouflage? Or do you agree with that, and just take exception at my use of "pre-production"? Look at the pictures, take your time, may take a bit longer than throwing around random emojis.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Instead of insulting me, why don't educate us about your interpretation of the state of Mission E development and how the final product will be different from is seen here (other than camo, wheels and maybe stance)? What are we looking at, if not a car with essentially the final design under the camouflage? Or do you agree with that, and just take exception at my use of "pre-production"? Look at the pictures, take your time, may take a bit longer than throwing around random emojis.
Now you're asking questions? You said this was pre-prod.. You haven't answered how you know this is a pre-production Mission E... I don't jump to conclusions.. But you obviously know what porsche is doing so please enlighten us all..

FYI, new facility being built.. tooling etc..
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Now you're asking questions? You said this was pre-prod.. You haven't answered how you know this is a pre-production Mission E... I don't jump to conclusions.. But you obviously know what porsche is doing so please enlighten us all..

FYI, new facility being built.. tooling etc..
Why do I think this is a "pre-production" Mission E?

- It's electric (fake exhaust, being benchmarked against Tesla S, X)
- It's not a hacked Panamera test mule (different doors, different roofline, completely different and apparently production-ready details)
- It's not a one-off prototype (there are four of them in one of the pictures)
- Mission E base price is supposed to be similar to Panamera, changes compared to the concept are consistent with that (no suicide doors, reshaped front spoiler, side skirts, regular rearview mirrors)
- Mission E is supposed to appear in 2019, state of prototype cars is consistent with that (light to medium camo + tape, similar to 992 prototypes from a few month ago; consistent with the expected on-sale date)

I can't imagine that Porsche would be testing a four-door electric prototype that is in the right size and (probably) price bracket stated for the Mission E production version, has an overall shape that is close to the Mission E concept (toned down for the real world) and is in the right stage of development for a 2019 on-sale date, but somehow is unrelated to the Mission E.

All the facts are out there, feel free to explain which ones you interpret differently.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Why do I think this is a "pre-production" Mission E?

- It's electric (fake exhaust, being benchmarked against Tesla S, X)
- It's not a hacked Panamera test mule (different doors, different roofline, completely different and apparently production-ready details)
- It's not a one-off prototype (there are four of them in one of the pictures)
- Mission E base price is supposed to be similar to Panamera, changes compared to the concept are consistent with that (no suicide doors, reshaped front spoiler, side skirts, regular rearview mirrors)
- Mission E is supposed to appear in 2019, state of prototype cars is consistent with that (light to medium camo + tape, similar to 992 prototypes from a few month ago; consistent with the expected on-sale date)

I can't imagine that Porsche would be testing a four-door electric prototype that is in the right size and (probably) price bracket stated for the Mission E production version, has an overall shape that is close to the Mission E concept (toned down for the real world) and is in the right stage of development for a 2019 on-sale date, but somehow is unrelated to the Mission E.

All the facts are out there, feel free to explain which ones you interpret differently.
Fact: none of this legitimately points to the ME production vehicle.. The new GT3 had various iterations before they settled on the 4l engine.. none of the TEST MULES were actually a pre-prod vehicle.. FACT

How can you be so sure that they aren't simply using this to test the drivetrain or other components?
Maybe this was a test-mule, panny model that they simply retrofitted?

I can draw conclusions as well.. but I would rather wait for Porsche to tell me what the end product design will be.. Why? because I am on a waiting list for one ...
Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh God NO!!!!!!!
NOT THAT!!!!!
PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 04:27 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I am so with you on this....I was going to buy one but not if it looks so similar to the fouyr door today. Really disappointing. The concept was spectacular and I was willing to pay $200K for that thing. Now with the spy shots, 85K is far too much.
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Mini-panny, soooo boooooring. I just lost all interest in it.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:51 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 780 Likes on 380 Posts

I think everybody is putting too much stock in these spy shots. When was the last time you saw a spy photo of a camouflaged new production model and said to yourself,"Yeah, I'd buy that"? There is a lot they can do to camouflage beyond they obvious things you can see. Almost every panel can be changed. Creating protoytpe/mule/camo tooling is not a big deal, even for 4 cars. It's pennies on the dollar compared to production tooling. I'm going to reserve my judgement for when they start showing up on the lot and I can see one up close in real light.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Am I missing something? This looks nothing like the concept Mission E. I am very disappointed. If this is it I'm glad to keep my 991.2. Porsche needs to eliminate any evidence of a concept car if this is the production Mission E.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:30 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=GT6ixer;14522569]I think everybody is putting too much stock in these spy shots. When was the last time you saw a spy photo of a camouflaged new production model and said to yourself,"Yeah, I'd buy that"? There is a lot they can do to camouflage beyond they obvious things you can see. Almost every panel can be changed. Creating protoytpe/mule/camo tooling is not a big deal, even for 4 cars. It's pennies on the dollar compared to production tooling. I'm going to reserve my judgement for when they start showing up on the lot and I can see one up close in real light.

I hope you are right.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

ditto

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Production Spy Photos