Sponsored by:

First Production Spy Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by beaudawg
Yeah, that drone part was an odd addition to a concept vehicle reveal. I've never been a fan of contrasting cladding to create a rugged appearance, particularly for vehicles that will see virtually no off-road use.
I live in Moab.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I like it. The body cladding looks slap on and not very well integrated, but hopefully that would be part of the bodywork on the production model. I'd take either this or the new iPace over a Model X any day.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:26 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
At this point I really wonder how the Macan clamshell bonnet ever made it into production.
One of the first things I thought upon seeing the original Mission-E concept, "well, that bonnet will never make it to production." Then I had a Macan loaner for a weekend and had second thoughts. Sadly, it looks like my initial impression was correct.

Originally Posted by Motor Trend Article
The Cross Turismo will be the first Mission E, but it certainly won’t be the last. After all, this is Porsche. There will be derivatives.
Anyone else concerned by this assertion by Motor Trend? Really hoping they misunderstood the reveal or other press release details, because I'd much rather, and expected to, see the sedan released first.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:40 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone else concerned by this assertion by Motor Trend? Really hoping they misunderstood the reveal or other press release details, because I'd much rather, and expected to, see the sedan released first.
Yep.....same here..............this A.M. I popped off a mail to the writer of that piece since that statement conflicts with a sentence earlier in the same piece. No reply.
I reached out to another person who would probably know and they said....no, the regular 'E' definitely first.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

One of the first things I thought upon seeing the original Mission-E concept, "well, that bonnet will never make it to production." Then I had a Macan loaner for a weekend and had second thoughts. Sadly, it looks like my initial impression was correct.
Even if Porsche at some point intended to put the Mission E concept hood into production, the difficulties getting the Macan clamshell aligned properly probably taught them better. Not very practical on a mass-produced car (mine actually was ok UNTIIL they tried to adjust it - then the passenger door starting catching on the clamshell on hot days, with a horrible noise and scraped off paint).
Old 03-07-2018, 02:09 AM
beaudawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cloudplay
Even if Porsche at some point intended to put the Mission E concept hood into production, the difficulties getting the Macan clamshell aligned properly probably taught them better. Not very practical on a mass-produced car (mine actually was ok UNTIIL they tried to adjust it - then the passenger door starting catching on the clamshell on hot days, with a horrible noise and scraped off paint).
Looking at all that is involved under the Macan clamshell to align it, you're probably right. And realistically, all that effort to only move a few cut lines on the body.

The mules that we've seen for months were proof the clamshell was gone. This latest concept is further confirmation.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:16 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

This article from Wards appears to have more detailed information on how to interpret the Cross Turismo reveal - http://wardsauto.com/engines/porsche...rveball-geneva

Unofficially it is a rolling blueprint for Porsche’s second EV, which is set to follow the production version of next year’s Mission E 4-door sedan to showrooms in 2021
Reassuring to read that the Mission E sedan is still planned first for 2019. I expect we might see the production version at the Paris show this fall.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you haven’t seen it yet, Porsche’s 2017 Annual report contains a section on production of the Mission E and has some photos of the pre-production cars being built.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:24 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cluster_fsck
If you haven’t seen it yet, Porsche’s 2017 Annual report contains a section on production of the Mission E and has some photos of the pre-production cars being built.

Tanks.....well, pretty hard to make out much there however, to me it appears that the test mules and this are one in the same.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The annual report pictures only give clues but at least one thing is clear, no suicide doors.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:25 AM
Adriaan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New picture of the mission E on the ring

Mission E sideways on the Nurburgring
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't help but notice how odd the roof looks.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:21 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Can't help but notice how odd the roof looks.
That big blob (transponder?) speed taped to the top doesn't help.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

That big blob (transponder?) speed taped to the top doesn't help.
Just in general, compared to the concept or a RS that double-bubble roof looks oddly large and out of proportion. But that too.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:17 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Just in general, compared to the concept or a RS that double-bubble roof looks oddly large and out of proportion. But that too.
The production car's roof probably is oddly large by comparison to the concept (and RS) Also not helped by what looks like a small increase in rear height compared to the concept.

I still like what I'm seeing though. Considering Bentley and Audi Sport are both rumored to be using the J1 architecture for their forthcoming electrics, I have a feeling the platform is going to be very capable.

Quick Reply: First Production Spy Photos