Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Mercedes-Benz Steyr-Puch 280GE G Wagon, $25K, NYC

For Sale

1987 Mercedes-Benz LPS1525

01-29-2023, 05:28 PM | Replies: 0 | Views: 8203
  • 1987 Mercedes-Benz LPS1525 - 1987 Mercedes-Benz Steyr-Puch 280GE G Wagon, $25K, NYC - Used - VIN VAG46023317903833 - 115,191 Miles - New York City, NY 11217, United States
  • 1987 Mercedes-Benz LPS1525 - 1987 Mercedes-Benz Steyr-Puch 280GE G Wagon, $25K, NYC - Used - VIN VAG46023317903833 - 115,191 Miles - New York City, NY 11217, United States
Rennlist Member

• Price
    $25,000
  • Location New York City, NY, 11217, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN VAG46023317903833
  • Mileage 115,191
Description:

Hi all – after going back and forth for a while, I’ve decided to sell my 1987 Puch G Wagon. The car originally sold through Bring a Trailer to a good friend, who then purchased a newly restored car and sold me this one. It’s been great fun as a city runabout, but now it’s time for me to pass the torch.

Present mileage: 115,191 Miles (185,382 KM)
Price: $25k
Title: Clean NY title in my name

Best contact: jeffrey [dot] einhorn [at] gmail [dot] com

Below is the text from the original BAT listing:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...yr-puch-280ge/

This 1987 Mercedes-Benz Steyr-Puch 280GE is a long-wheelbase 4-door wagon finished in Mittelblau Metallic over a grey plaid cloth interior, and powered by a 2.8L inline-six paired with a 5-speed manual transmission and dual-range transfer case. The truck was purchased new in Switzerland, reportedly remained with its original owner until 2012, and was imported to the US by the seller in April 2017. Approximately 3k kilometers have been driven under the seller’s ownership, and cosmetic repairs have been carried out as detailed below. A service in April 2018 consisted of an inspection, driveline fluid replacement, brake and idle adjustments, chassis lubrication, and more. This W460 is offered with partial service records, owner’s books, import documents, and a clean Virginia title.

The first generation G-Wagen was manufactured for Mercedes-Benz by subsidiary Steyr-Puch in Graz, Austria, and badged as the Puch G for Austrian, Swiss, and Eastern European markets. This example is finished in Mittelblau Metallic. The roof was repaired to correct hail damage, and new left rear quarter was sourced to replace the rusted original. New paint and clear coat were blended in as needed. Remaining flaws include chips on the front end, a bubble on the underside of the right rear door. A clear coat crack on the left rear is noted by the seller.

Five-spoke 16″ wheels were refinished during the seller’s ownership, and wear 225/75 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A tires that date from 2011 and reportedly show 80% remaining tread depth. A full-size spare with a Michelin tire is mounted on the tailgate with a branded Puch G cover and chrome ring. Optilux halogen fog lights adorn the front bumper. The seller mentions that the sideview mirror glass is deteriorating and could be replaced, but is useable as-is.

The interior is finished in a dark blue-grey plaid seat covers and door inserts. Power locks were standard equipment by 1987. The front door seals and rubber sill moldings were recently replaced, though water is said to enter through faulty wiper shafts during hard rain. New wiper shaft parts will be installed prior to delivery.

A Blaupunkt Berlin cassette-radio and air conditioning are equipped. The air conditioning system was converted to R134a refrigerant with a new York compressor in 2015 and is said to work along with other accessories aside from the radio. Stock VDO instruments include a standard tachometer and an odometer that has rolled once, currently showing 72k kilometers (~107k total miles). Approximately 5k kilometers have been added by the seller and his father over a year of ownership. Total mileage is unknown.

The rear cargo area is pictured above. Carpets line the floors throughout the cabin and exhibit small spots of wear. A partial set of Mercedes rubber mats are included.

The 2.8L M110 DOHC gasoline inline-six used in the G-Class was a low-compression variant with Bosck K-Jetronic fuel injection that produced 150 horsepower and 166 lb-ft of torque when new. This example is paired with a 5-speed manual transmission and 2-speed transfer case with part-time 4-wheel drive and locking differentials. The idle controller was cleaned and the idle speed adjusted during a recent service, which also included an oil change.

A service in April 2018 consisted of driveline fluid changes, lubrication of the driveshaft, and inspection of the transfer box and differentials. Exhaust clamps were replaced as needed, and the brake fluid was flushed and replaced. A 4-wheel alignment was performed and Bilstein shocks replace the factory components. The brake pads and rotors were replaced within the last six months, and the calipers are currently being rebuilt at White Post Restorations in Virginia. The seller notes that the chassis received a factory undercoating, with the process repeated under previous ownership a few years ago.

Owner’s literature includes a manual for the Blaupunkt Berlin and a Puch 280GE owner’s manual in German, along with the original build sheet. Partial service receipts, four keys, and two remotes are also included. Videos showing a walk-around, cold start, driving footage, and turn signal function can be viewed below.

- - - - -

I also have records for the following items which occurred after the BAT sale:

September 2018 Repair short in brake light, new battery, NYS inspection $381.06
October 2018 New Kuhmo tires and four wheel alignment $1,143.17

November 2018 Replace alternator and replace battery $615.14

September 2019 New battery, tire repair, front brake pads, add brake fluid $950.78

January 2021 Exhaust work: new flex and center pipe, tightened drive belts, remove and lubricate rear drums and brake components, oil, coolant, brake fluid change, new wipers $2,485.29

January 2021 R&R fuel pump, clean fuel tank, check fuel system, new plugs, clean fuel lines $2,087.21

May 2022 Continental bluetooth radio $162
June 2022 Blaupunkt speakers $100

- - - - -

In addition, about 500KM ago, the oil cooler line failed. We had the line looped as the car doesn’t see any off road duty (or any heavy duty use), and in the meantime, I sourced a replacement oil cooler and lines from Guido in Germany, and it all comes with the car.

The good: Nice interior with minimal wear. Awesome rodeo cloth with no rips or tears. Working bluetooth radio with period look. Starts up very easily warm or cold, idles great. Shifts are very smooth. Brakes work nicely. Tracks straight and drives well.

The bad: While the listing from BAT shows a new AC compressor from 2015, it never worked for me, but I never even tried to recharge it. The rear wiper doesn’t work (the sprayer is fine). The fuel pump relay cuts off at 4,100 RPM (you can hear it click) and creates a rev limiter – I’ve never found it to be an issue because I don’t need to rev past 4,000 in normal driving. The F/L wheel has one bolt hole that is stripped – I have the bolt, just needs to be tapped.

The ugly: Some body rust, please see photos and video using this link (hot and cold start video and driving in there as well): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u4aumatzw...6eqBCGmLa?dl=0