Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 Wheels and Tires

For Sale

Wheels and Tires/Axles

02-10-2019, 01:16 PM | Replies: 5 | Views: 1755
  • Wheels and Tires/Axles - Porsche 911 Wheels and Tires - Used - 1984 to 1998 Porsche 911 - Tampa, FL 33611, United States
    Expired
Advanced

• Price
    $1,575
  • Location Tampa, FL, 33611, USA
  • Condition Used
  • Compatibility
Make Model Year
Porsche 911 1984 - 1998
Description:

Porsche 911 Wheels and Tires:
Two 17"X7" w/ Michelin Sport Plus 205/50 ZR17
Two 17"X9" w/Michelin Sport Plus 255/40 ZR17
These fit the 964 and 993 editions and I'm told also fit the 3.2 Carreras from '84 to '89.
I have recently upsized to 18" and am ready to sell these 17"s. The wheels are almost perfect with one very tiny nick on one wheel. The clear coat is near perfect on all. The tires are like new, having come off a collector car maintained in storage and still have the rubber hairs from molding on the sidewalls.
The first $1575.00 takes them. Or I'll trade for 1965 Type 356 in perfect condition. Ha.
Pick them up in Tampa, or I might be able to meet you nearby.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:10 AM
MaxGarweg
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you please share the manufacturers date stamp on the tires?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM
gregorytate
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure. Glad to. Pics attached. I'm not entirely sure, but looks like "4810" and "2110". I bought the car in June last year with 23,000 miles. It's a 1996 and had been part of a collection, obviously stored for the most part. I put about 900 miles on it and then 18inch wheels became available so I jumped on those. Anticipating your concern, I see

these tires are old, but they show almost no wear and while I did not track the car or really push, the ride and grip seemed fine to me as a rookie Porsche owner.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 PM
MaxGarweg
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Tires expire after 6 years. It’s not super dangerous if your tires are 7 years old and have great tread but they become progressively more dangerous as they harden and begin to dry rot. That’s what killed Paul Walker. Original low mileage old tires with great tread.

Really not trying to bash your sale as the wheels look really clean but just FYI people are probably not going to value the tires much even if they look new. Then again you might find someone who wants to Autocross then to death! GLWS
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 PM
gregorytate
Advanced

No offense taken. Based on comparable Ebay and Hemmings listings, I think these are priced fairly even at their age. Approx half the price of a recent similar listing. But to your point, I found this article in Road and Track "How to Make Your Tires Last 10 Years, It turns out we're replacing our tires a lot sooner than we should be." Here is the link: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...last-10-years/

The author says allowances should be made for environmental conditions. ["When properly stored in a climate controlled warehouse, tires have an almost unlimited shelf life, and once they're on the road, proper care can add many years to a tire's life. Also: "As long as your tires are out of sunlight, away from ozone, and in an environment with a stable temperature, you're good to go."]. These tires have spent the vast majority of their life in conditioned air. The seller thought it likely that the car had never been driven in the rain.

Just for the heck of it here is some math. Maybe we can laugh about this. Assume: the tires are 10 years old, the car had driven approximately 4,000 miles on these tires (the car only has 24,000 miles total), and the average driving speed was 40 mph. That would calculate to 100 hours of drive time over 10 years or 87600 hours, or 0.1% of the tire life in non conditioned air. I don't know what conclusion can be drawn from this, but it's still interesting.

All this aside, the wheels are near perfect and I think fairly priced.

all the best
Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 PM
gregorytate
Advanced

SOLD