Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 928 S4 engine

For Sale

Engine - Complete

01-15-2019, 05:00 PM | Replies: 3 | Views: 1195
  • Engine - Complete - 1987 928 S4 engine - Used - All Years Porsche 928 - Hermitage, TN 37076, United States
    Sold
  • Engine - Complete - 1987 928 S4 engine - Used - All Years Porsche 928 - Hermitage, TN 37076, United States
    Sold
    Sold
    Sold
Drifting

• Price
    $600
  • Location Hermitage, TN, 37076, USA
  • Condition Used
  • Compatibility
Make Model Year
Porsche 928 Any Year
Description:

Engine was rebuilt 10+ years/40k miles ago. It was pulled from a Euro 928 that was totaled and has been in a crate for a while. Engine was then partially disassembled to check the condition of the heads/pistons/valves/etc. Everything looks great!

40k miles ago, the following work was done:
Heads pulled and x-rayed and pressure tested.
.005 was skimmed to clean up the surfaces of the heads.
New valve guids and stem seals installed.
New lifters.
Hones bores lightly for 10 seconds at low speed.
Leakdown and compression test with great results and all within 5% of each other.

The intake, oil filler neck, water bridge and heads were removed this past weekend for inspection. Everything looks great!

Included with the engine are new cam chain tensioner pads, new pins to replace the troublesome cam/head caps (referred to as hockey pucks), new valve cover gasket and seals, original but complete and good condition engine wiring harness, spark plug wires.

To complete the engine reassembly, you'll need head gaskets, intake refresh items like gaskets, hoses, vacuum lines, etc, fuel lines, dampners, and pressure regulator, clean injectors and use new o-rings. Some cam caps were damaged during disassembly and replacements will be included, but will need to be machined to match the head. I'd suggest a new water pump and tensioner rebuild. You will also need new cam gears and rollers.

Engine is in a crate in my garage. You'll need a pallet jack and a truck with a lift pick it up and transport it.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:37 PM
6ta1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is tempting... I have an 1984 928S with the 16V engine - any idea of what the swap would take other than putting back the engine together?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a good question, one I don't think I can answer much about. The 85 I currently have has an S4 engine with S3 heads and they used the 85 computers instead of using the S4 computers. It's a supercharged stroker engine with a vortech fuel management, so they had to PIC program the chips they used with those computers, so I'm not sure I can compare this setup with what might be needed to just drop an S4 engine into an earlier model. I am sure some people have done this already, so it should be easy to find enough information in the group to help you on your way.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Engine is sold.