Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Cayman R + trailer, Forgeline Wheels, & every Reasonable Performance upgrade

For Sale

2012 Porsche Cayman

11-13-2018, 01:34 AM | Replies: 4 | Views: 3623
  • 2012 Porsche Cayman - 2012 Cayman R + trailer, Forgeline Wheels, & every Reasonable Performance upgrade - Used - VIN WP0AB2A84CS793309 - 34,000 Miles - 6 cyl - 2WD - Manual - Coupe - Gray - Alameda, CA 94501, United States
    Expired
  • 2012 Porsche Cayman - 2012 Cayman R + trailer, Forgeline Wheels, & every Reasonable Performance upgrade - Used - VIN WP0AB2A84CS793309 - 34,000 Miles - 6 cyl - 2WD - Manual - Coupe - Gray - Alameda, CA 94501, United States
    Expired
    Expired
    Expired
    Expired
    Expired
    Expired
    Expired
    Expired
Rennlist Member

• Price
    $57,500
  • Location Alameda, CA, 94501, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN WP0AB2A84CS793309
  • Mileage 34,000
  • Engine 6 cyl
  • Drive Type 2WD
  • Transmission Manual
  • Vehicle Type Coupe
  • Exterior Color Gray
Description:

I have been asked for the price without wheels and trailer. $57,500. Wheels and trailer are $4,000 more.
Meteor Gray Metallic
VIN WP0AB2A84CS793309
34.5K miles
California Smog Certificate on 11/3/2018
California licensed custom aluminum trailer

A dropbox link to photographs is at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/trx4n0sg0...6szFsmaca?dl=0

This car has been extensively upgraded for track use while maintaining full street compatibility. Everything I have put into the car is pretty much the best equipment made. It also has a Wilwood Systems trailer hitch hidden behind the rear license plate and a California licensed 48" by 40" bed aluminum trailer that can accommodate 4 wheels, jack, jackstands, tools and similar track gear. This solves the problem of getting a street/track car to the track with the track wheels and R compound tire. It also had an aluminum box mounted on the front that can be locked. For those of you who attend GGR track events, you may have seen the car (120) and the trailer. It is truly one of a kind and gets lots of attention and complements. Despite all of the effort I have put into this car, I was only able to put in a modest amount of summer track time due to work and other conflicts. Other than when I bought it new in Oregon, it has never been out of California, has been kept covered, and has never seen snow or bad weather.

The car has every reasonable upgrade to improve track performance while keeping daily drivability. It has been carefully sorted out with assistance of a professional race driver. Suspension, transmission, clutch, flywheel and limited slip differential work has been by SP Motorsports. It passed smog inspection on 11/3/2018 and if purchased within 90 days, thereafter, will not need another smog inspection for 2 years. The street tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) have less than 2,000 miles. Street or track, the car is ready to go.

At $65,000 for the entire package, the upgrades, wheels and trailer are going for a small fraction of their cost.

Porsche Options

Principal Porsche supplied options are the Meteor Gray Metallic paint, CDR Radio/CD system, air conditioning and the Porsche GT2 Carbon Bucket seats in leather/Alcantara.. The interior is gray with Alcantara on the wheel, various trim areas.The paint is in excellent condition. There is a small spot on the driver's headrest that has been worn. The original build sheet is in the dropbox with the photos.

Upgrades

I have spent an enormous amount of effort to create a car that improves on the Cayman handling and performance while keeping the car "stealth" and street drivable.

Exterior

Dealer applied clear plastic film on lower half of the front hood, side panels near rear wheels, and door edges. Dealer swapped yellow turn signals for more appropriate clear. It comes with a Rennline front tow-hook with GoPro mount and a US Millworks front license plate mount that screws into the tow hook connection. You can spin off the front plate and spin on the tow hook. A very clean installation with no drilling of the body.

Safety

Breyer Kraus harness truss painted to match the car. The harness truss provides a solid connection for the Schroth 6 point harnesses for driver (Hans compatible) and passenger (3" webbing). Unlike many of the roll bar systems, it does not block access to the engine bay. The truss has a heavy duty stainless steel adjustable mount for a camera.

Brakes

GT3 Master Brake Cylinder. This doesn't make it stop any faster, but does change the pedal stroke to make heal and toeing easier. Stainless steel brake lines. Girodisc rotors with several pad sets (partially used). PFC 08 currently installed, but have serviceable Raybestos ST-43 (front and rear) and ST42 (rear) plus a front set of RaceTechnology RE-10. I was testing several different set-ups and may prefer the Raybestos ST-43/42 combination--but pads are a personal preference.

Engine, cooling, intake, exhaust and engine remapping.

The optional 3rd radiator was installed by SP Motorsports along with GT3 style grating to keep debris out of the radiators. Temperature is stable, even at Buttonwillow in the summer. The intake has been substantially improved with an IPD Competition plenum, 82 mm Bosch Throttle body, VFlow Airfilter and EVOM SIT retuning. This resulted in a noticeable increase in power. Fabspeed stainless steel headers with 300 cell cat, connected to their MaxFlow muffler system. It sounds great, reduces weight in the rear of the car, and has NEVER been black flagged for noise, even at Laguna Seca. The quality is considerably higher than Porsche OEM and the weight is lower. The engine exhaust has been thermally wrapped from the header to muffler connection to protect hydraulic lines, reduce heat transfer on rear brake pads, and improve exhaust transfer. Semi-solid engine mounts and transmission mounts.

The car has engine remap files by Evolution Motorsports. Currently, it the OEM files are installed to run during smog check, but I have flash files to tune the engine to take advantage of all of the engine upgrades (IPD Plenum, intake, Fabspeed SportCat Headers and MaxFlow muffler. The flash files and flash cable are included. All you need is a PC with a USB port to upload new files or I can upload whichever files you prefer. You can switch between performance tune and OEM files in only a few minutes. When the limited slip was installed, I also installed a lightweight flyweel and compatible Sachs clutch.

Shifting and Transmission

Porsche short shift kit installed by dealer, Function First Shift-Right upgrade (replaces bushings with ball bearings and removes play from shifter unit), Numeric shifter cables (these were just installed and totally change the shift feeling from loose to bolt action precision--should have done this sooner), Guard Pro Limited Slip Differential (this is the best LSD made for Porsches and used by Porsche racing teams. It can be continuously rebuilt. The LSD has a 50/50 ramp as recommended by Guard for street/track Caymans. Semi-solid transmission mounts.

Suspension

The suspension has been totally rebuilt around JRZ RS-Pro 2 way dampers with external nitrogen canisters. These are enormously better than the OEM units and allow a wide range of adjustment for compression and rebound. The external nitrogen canisters increase the nitrogen volume allowing for a more linear rebound/compression curve. The result is a much more secure, yet compliant set up that you can immediately feel. The JRZ RS-Pro setup is one of the best investments I have made for the car. Springs are Eibach 600# front, 700# rear, with helpers. This system can be dialed back for street comfort and then quickly tightened for track use.

GT3 lower control arms with Tarett installed monoballs and adjustable solid bushing. Tarett extended drop links on the front (really helps low speed cornering), drop links rear, toe links with bump front and rear, 5 position oversized front swaybar, 4 position 22.2mm rear bar, Tarett thrust arms, front and rear. The whole system has been designed to work together and be compatible with R compound tires. The standard 987 set up (including the R) has too much movement in the rear which can lead to unpredictable handling. This setup has much greater rear stability and feels super solid and reliable. Also, replacing the bushings with monoballs has made the suspension instantly responsive, albeit with some road noise pass-through.

Wheels and Tires

18" Forgeline GA3R competition wheels. These are light, look great and are warranted for racing use. I have Tarett NASCAR style studs and nuts installed, but also have the Porsche lug bolts if you prefer. 19" Porsche Cayman R wheels that I use for street are included. The Forgelines currently have Hoosier R7 tires with some tread left (2 weekends?). The Porsche wheels have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that were purchased new in July and have about 1,300 miles.

Miscellaneous and spares.

It comes with a California Car Covers exterior car cover and various spare parts, such as an extra Mass Airflow Sensor [these have been known to fail, so I keep a spare, just in case], a couple of oil filters, a spare V-Flow reusable air intake filter, and several spare wheel studs.

Trailer and Hidden Hitch

The car has a Wilwood systems engineered trailer hitch receiver hidden behind the rear license plate. Flip up the plate, insert the hitch, and connect the trailer. Wilwood is an engineered system designed by a trailer hitch engineer who was also a Boxster owner. Wilwood has transferred manufacturing to a new company, and I'm not sure these are even available any more. It is a very slick system. The trailer is a custom-built aluminum trailer with a 40" by 48" bed and has a front attached locking tool chest. I have taken the trailer to Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca and Sonoma. It handles very well, even at higher freeway speeds. It is a very good solution for how to get track wheels to the track.

RaceRamps that are seen in the pictures and attached to the trailer are not included and the AIM lap timer system has been removed.

Last edited by hwashcraft; 03-31-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:45 PM
hwashcraft
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 AM
purcell21
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, what a build and such great care taken in doing so!! So, the obvious question, why are you moving on from this piece of perfection?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM
hwashcraft
Rennlist Member

Default 2 Porsche’s One Garage...

I recently purchased a 2015 GT3 that will shortly be making its track debut. The GT3 is a wonderful machine, too, but it doesn’t have the sweet point-and-shoot character of the Cayman R. Each car has its strengths. I have contemplated keeping them both, but that is unfortunately not feasible.

If someone is looking for a 987.2 that is reasonable on the street and rock solid on the track, it is a good deal.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM
hwashcraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purcell21
Wow, what a build and such great care taken in doing so!! So, the obvious question, why are you moving on from this piece of perfection?
Purchased a 2015 GT3, and can't keep 2 cars.