Macan 2014-Current

Scratches 2023 Macan middle console

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 01:44 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Scratches 2023 Macan middle console

My new 2023 Macan S came brand new with a pretty large scratch on the glass (or whatever material it is) in the middle console where these pseudo buttons are. It is not immediately visible, but when you look from the side you can clearly see it and it is deep in there. I am wondering how easy it is to scratch this area and those of you who have your Macan a little longer how does this area look in your Macan? Is there a way to protect it? I just took delivery of the car and I am wondering if the dealership will do something about it.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:06 AM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is fairly easy to scratch. It would have been nice if was something like Gorilla glass

Some have had PPF applied. There has been an instance I read about where the water used during application damaged the console and required its replacement, but others have had no issues.

I applied film I found on aliexpress.com, but didn’t do a great DIY job. Believe I added too much soap to the water used for application and in certain light you can see residue trapped under the film. I’m okay with it. It has kept the console free of scratches and I’m not motivated enough to remove and redo it.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:28 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 672 Posts

I had PPF applied to it immediately upon delivery. I would recommend that to everyone.

Pics in this thread. Some have done matte PPF. I prefer the regular gloss PPF, have had no glare issues w/ it personally. YMMV.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-controls.html

Have the touch bar under the radio done too, as well as the touchscreen. Or for the touchscreen you can get a glass screen protector as well.

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-17-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:11 AM
nevil
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a detailer do PPF on all those console parts that are piano black. He did an excellent job and it was under $180.
As for the damage that came with the car, it's something you need to bring to their attention as soon as you can.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:02 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 473 Likes on 321 Posts

I've found two issues with the piano black look on the center console: fingerprints (I now carry a microfiber towel that I store in the cup holder) and sun glare (throw same microfiber towel over the offending area). I must also note that I much prefer real buttons to the haptic ones.

If the scratch was present at delivery, return to the dealer and request a fix under warranty.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:29 PM
BColeCom
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Macan Center Console Scratch Prevention

I'm waiting delivery of a '24 Macan GTS. I want to proactively avoid susceptible center console scratches. Xpel offers PPF 'Interior Protection.' Go to: https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-...ior-protection. You can find an authorized installed in or near your location by clicking on the 'Get Interior Protection Installed Near You.'
Old 08-12-2023, 08:35 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BColeCom
I'm waiting delivery of a '24 Macan GTS. I want to proactively avoid susceptible center console scratches. Xpel offers PPF 'Interior Protection.' Go to: https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-...ior-protection. You can find an authorized installed in or near your location by clicking on the 'Get Interior Protection Installed Near You.'
I would not do it. There are several reports out there with people who had this done and water ran into the unit and ruined the whole console. Cost around $6k if you want Porsche to do the job and replace the console.....
Old 08-12-2023, 08:56 PM
BColeCom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by john981
I would not do it. There are several reports out there with people who had this done and water ran into the unit and ruined the whole console. Cost around $6k if you want Porsche to do the job and replace the console.....
That’s sobering! What’s the best solution?
Old 08-13-2023, 07:32 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 126 Posts

I "wish" that Porsche, in their INFINITE WISDOM had left the damn console alone...I liked the 2019 console much better than the 2022, (No taking your eyes off the road to locate positions)
Old 08-13-2023, 09:56 AM
nevil
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BColeCom
That’s sobering! What’s the best solution?
Not all shops do the same quality work even though they might use the same materials. You need to talk to vendors who can do the job but express your concerns about excessive water use during the application. I had mine done a month after getting the car. It was at one of the most highly regarded detail shops in the area and I felt confident they knew what they were doing.
Don't feel rushed to get it done, just be careful with the console surface. It's not like you're going to have numerous scratches appear out of nowhere. Actually, any minor scratches tend to disappear under the PPF.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:50 AM
BColeCom
Intermediate

I contacted two Xpel ‘authorized’ installers. One in NorCal where I live and another in SoCal where the Macan will be delivered as well as my local detail shop owner who does excellent work and happens to be a PCA member and classic 911 owner. Excessive water usage will be a topic of conversation with each. I too would prefer switches to touch sensitive ‘buttons.’ Function, not fashion. Oh well. It’s unlikely I would be considering protecting the center console from scratching, but I have s mini dachshund who has a penchant for sitting in the driver’s AND passenger’s laps and will walk back and forth across the consoles of all our cars while on the road. It’s not a problem in my wife’s C250 or my SL55 (other than she deactivates the ESC!) and GT3, but in the Macan I’m afraid it will be.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:20 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 126 Posts

A little off the topic, what do you use to clean the console, I have some "swipe" marks
Old 08-13-2023, 11:55 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I’ve had good results cleaning with Einzette Cockpit Premium and a clean microfiber towel, rubbing very gently to prevent swirl marks in the plastic.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:12 PM
BColeCom
Intermediate

One slighly damp and one dry microfiber for console and PCM cleaning. I haven’t taken delivery of the Macan yet. I always use new cloths. I was raised in the automobile business. My family owned multiple dealerships. I learned at an early age that once a rag or towel has been exposed to any oil based product it will never be ‘clean.’ We always used separate rags and towels for glass and similar surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 12:59 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

I have a spray bottle filled with deionized h2o with which I mist those areas followed by gentle drying with an ultra soft, clean microfiber. By doing so I’ve kept these areas scratch free for several years in my prior P cars with no apparent scratches, even small ones. When I took delivery of my 992, I noticed a scratch and insisted they replace that panel. With my latest delivery I insisted they not touch it. All this is kinda OCD but it’s also respect for really fine machines.

Quick Reply: Scratches 2023 Macan middle console