Notices
Macan 2014-Current

First Macan road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 06:58 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm guessing you had a little bit of fun in and coming out of Provo Canyon. It's been a long time since we've had extended high temps in PC, it's warm here and gonna stay that way.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:02 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 969 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I'm guessing you had a little bit of fun in and coming out of Provo Canyon. It's been a long time since we've had extended high temps in PC, it's warm here and gonna stay that way.
That’s a great road but looks like they’re doing road work so couldn’t push it. I’m in PC now, everyone talks about great winters but dang the summers are gorgeous. Wish I brought my convertible.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:12 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by clutchplate
That’s a great road but looks like they’re doing road work so couldn’t push it. I’m in PC now, everyone talks about great winters but dang the summers are gorgeous. Wish I brought my convertible.
Ah road work. Welcome to UT. On the one hand roads and other infrastructure are kept up but on the other, all that work takes place in a compressed work season due to altitude and winter. They do seem to do a good job of road sweeping but I get road reports before taking out my 992.

Yes it’s a secret so don’t tell anyone but summer in PC is even better than winter. Just beware at 7-8K altitude direct sunlight is brutal right now belying ambient temps. Although were you to ask me when I’m bouncing through 10” of fresh I’d definitely say winter is better. Then again at peak foliage in a good year like 2022 I could make an argument for fall. Might explain why my homes have tripled in value in the last 8 years. Its the invasion of conservatives from liberal coastal metros…and TX. Guardsman Pass would be a fun place to take that Mac.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:25 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Ah road work. Welcome to UT. On the one hand roads and other infrastructure are kept up but on the other, all that work takes place in a compressed work season due to altitude and winter. They do seem to do a good job of road sweeping but I get road reports before taking out my 992.

Yes it’s a secret so don’t tell anyone but summer in PC is even better than winter. Just beware at 7-8K altitude direct sunlight is brutal right now belying ambient temps. Although were you to ask me when I’m bouncing through 10” of fresh I’d definitely say winter is better. Then again at peak foliage in a good year like 2022 I could make an argument for fall. Might explain why my homes have tripled in value in the last 8 years. Itthe invasion of conservatives from liberal coastal metros…and TX. Guardsman Pass would be a fun place to take that Mac.
Ah yes, PC home prices have gone through the roof. Was going to buy one last winter banking on it being another drought year and home prices softening. Guess I missed that call. This is a home shopping trip so getting to know this gorgeous place.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:54 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Ah yes, PC home prices have gone through the roof. Was going to buy one last winter banking on it being another drought year and home prices softening. Guess I missed that call. This is a home shopping trip so getting to know this gorgeous place.
Migration to PC and its environs is part of a long term trend that trickled before Covid but then was ignited by it. So far it seems only to briefly pause with general housing market disruptions and then fires right back up. Good luck with your search. I ended up selling my first PC home and then building after a few years as there's a limited supply of newer, state of the art housing. My construction costs were about $300 a foot. Just several years later it's around $750-$1,000. There's just a whole lot of money moving to PC.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:52 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts

Which Macan do you have that avg 25+ mpg?
Old 07-15-2023, 08:19 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Migration to PC and its environs is part of a long term trend that trickled before Covid but then was ignited by it. So far it seems only to briefly pause with general housing market disruptions and then fires right back up. Good luck with your search. I ended up selling my first PC home and then building after a few years as there's a limited supply of newer, state of the art housing. My construction costs were about $300 a foot. Just several years later it's around $750-$1,000. There's just a whole lot of money moving to PC.
I think that’s spot on. Saw a couple of good ones today so won’t be long. Can’t believe how many convertible Porsches I’m seeing out here, hopefully can get my Spyder out here before winter.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:22 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sacman
Which Macan do you have that avg 25+ mpg?
It’s a 2023 base. Seemed like the mileage improved once I got into higher elevation and the dryer Utah climate. Will pay closer attention when I head back.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:21 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

It’s a 2023 base. Seemed like the mileage improved once I got into higher elevation and the dryer Utah climate. Will pay closer attention when I head back.
Ah, that explains it. Great MPG!

I picked up my Macan S in Chicago (I live in TN) and drove it back to TN and got *almost* 26mpg (25.7 to be exact... cruise on ~50% of the time, set to 78mph). The Macan is such a great ride! Enjoy the trip!

Last edited by boyce89976; 07-24-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:49 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

I don't think most of us bought these cars for the gas mileage, but Porsche has a long tradition of exceeding their stats so nice to see this hasn't changed.

Gas mileage was definitely better in Utah compared to California and Nevada. Don't know why but I got 28.8 coming back in Utah and it dropped to 26.8 the rest of the trip. Speed limit was 80 in Utah so I was going faster there. I thought maybe wind resistance but Nevada had nearly identical climate and elevation so that's doubtful. Utah roads were like glass so maybe that was a factor.

Also, Carplay didn't always sync up at startup or appear in the menu but I discovered holding the voice command button synced it up immediately. Was a little surprised how much the car got blown around in high wind, not its strong point. It's a comfortable car though as I was in it for 7 days straight and Porsche seats once again, fit me like a glove. Pretty decent road trip car.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:07 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

One last thing, if I ever road trip to Park City in summer again and leave my golf clubs behind (which the Macan had plenty of room for), someone here please shoot me. The entire place looks photoshopped.

The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 09:49 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a new Macan T in Sacramento and drove home to Michigan. It was equipped with 20” wheels and Michelin all season and those tires were garbage! Coarse ride, sloppy handling, not stable at speed. Worst part was noise and instability on grooved concrete and horrible vibration and noise when passing over center rumble strips on 2 lane asphalt highways. I was ready to trade the car and it was so bad. I checked the air pressure and it was spot on.

When I got home, I ordered the Michelin OEM summer tires from my dealer who installed them and now the car drives like a dream. I’ve had a lot of nice cars and messed around with a lot of tires, and I think those were the worst I’ve ever had. Sorry if anyone else loves them, but they did not work for me crossing the United States on various roads that I encountered. And I am a Michelin fanboy in general.

Last edited by doug751; 07-24-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:18 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

One last thing, if I ever road trip to Park City in summer again and leave my golf clubs behind (which the Macan had plenty of room for), someone here please shoot me. The entire place looks photoshopped.

Memberships to Park Meadows which I believe that is were $10,000 five years ago. Oh how things have changes.
The following users liked this post:
clutchplate (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:27 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doug751
I bought a new Macan T in Sacramento and drove home to Michigan. It was equipped with 20” wheels and Michelin all season and those tires were garbage! Coarse ride, sloppy handling, not stable at speed. Worst part was noise and instability on grooved concrete and horrible vibration and noise when passing over center rumble strips on 2 lane asphalt highways. I was ready to trade the car and it was so bad. I checked the air pressure and it was spot on.

When I got home, I ordered the Michelin OEM summer tires from my dealer who installed them and now the car drives like a dream. I’ve had a lot of nice cars and messed around with a lot of tires, and I think those were the worst I’ve ever had. Sorry if anyone else loves them, but they did not work for me crossing the United States on various roads that I encountered. And I am a Michelin fanboy in general.
Had the same experience with the 20" Michelin Latitude all seasons that are on mine. They're a chore to drive on grooved concrete highways but the tip above to turn on LKA seemed to help. Glad to know changing tires fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: First Macan road trip