Macan 2014-Current

Strange TPMS incident

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 01:58 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Strange TPMS incident

Starting up the '19 Macan base, all tires show up as -6 PSI and dire warnings about driving it appear on the screen. I get out of the car to take a look, thinking maybe someone vandalized the tires. However, the tires look fine, and a manual tire gauge shows at least one to be close to normal. I decided to drive anyway, and after a few miles, everything reset itself and the pressures all appeared normal, around 35 PSI or so.
Has anyone else experienced such an odd event? This was several weeks ago and has fortunately not repeated itself.
The following users liked this post:
chazmink (10-02-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:56 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
Starting up the '19 Macan base, all tires show up as -6 PSI and dire warnings about driving it appear on the screen. I get out of the car to take a look, thinking maybe someone vandalized the tires. However, the tires look fine, and a manual tire gauge shows at least one to be close to normal. I decided to drive anyway, and after a few miles, everything reset itself and the pressures all appeared normal, around 35 PSI or so.
Has anyone else experienced such an odd event? This was several weeks ago and has fortunately not repeated itself.
Yes had that happen to me. Service department told me to add air in each tire. I had 3 tires at -5 and one at -6. Drive around the block and then let the air out that I put in. Sounds silly but it worked.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:09 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Bizarre! I'm glad in my case it went away on its own.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:48 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Interference from another vehicle nearby, maybe.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:14 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

The vehicle was parked well off the street at the end of a long driveway the whole night before, but who knows? Solar flares, perhaps?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TPMS Message

I had exactly the same thing happen earlier today with my 991.1. I measured TP and found all a couple of pounds low.

Am heading out to the garage now to increase pressures.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:33 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Had this on the 997.1TT

If the Porsche recommended is say, 39/44, and you have 6 psi or more below that, it reads -6 until you inflate to their recommended. Then drive around some to reset it. Then let air out to your preferred.
MrMarco (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:22 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Had this on the 997.1TT

If the Porsche recommended is say, 39/44, and you have 6 psi or more below that, it reads -6 until you inflate to their recommended. Then drive around some to reset it. Then let air out to your preferred.
Most interesting -- will have to try that. However, it doesn't explain how it went away on its own and a week later, has not returned even though I neither messed around with the tires' air nor with any settings on the dash.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:14 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny, exactly the same happened to me! One tire down on pressure and cue the bings and bongs. After a couple of miles, tire warms up and clearly the pressure is in tolerance again. A week later, same tire again, same issue and same resolution. Down 6 psi but the most recent incident it showed down 4. Anyway, my wife is driving the car at the moment so she popped into the local tire place to get it checked on a verified air pump. Yup, all tires down a little and one tire slightly more. Fixed and all good.

I suspect that Porsche TPMS systems are a little more sensitive than others and like to complain more. I struggled in the transition from summer to fall to winter in my previous Cayenne and keeping tire pressures. Needed constant adjustment to get them right as the weather cooled. Northern California resident and during this time we can get pretty big swings in temperatures - late 70's to low 50's being pretty common - not a massive difference, but I suspect its just enough to mess with the TPMS and trigger a warning or two.
tk-porsche (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 04:22 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by offagain
Funny, exactly the same happened to me! One tire down on pressure and cue the bings and bongs. After a couple of miles, tire warms up and clearly the pressure is in tolerance again. A week later, same tire again, same issue and same resolution. Down 6 psi but the most recent incident it showed down 4. Anyway, my wife is driving the car at the moment so she popped into the local tire place to get it checked on a verified air pump. Yup, all tires down a little and one tire slightly more. Fixed and all good.

I suspect that Porsche TPMS systems are a little more sensitive than others and like to complain more. I struggled in the transition from summer to fall to winter in my previous Cayenne and keeping tire pressures. Needed constant adjustment to get them right as the weather cooled. Northern California resident and during this time we can get pretty big swings in temperatures - late 70's to low 50's being pretty common - not a massive difference, but I suspect its just enough to mess with the TPMS and trigger a warning or two.
I think you are spot on here. I had similar issues with changing tire pressure in a BMW X3 and suspect the same may be true here, requiring some pressure adjustments as the seasons change. Most tires need some filling after a couple of months or so, anyway, and if they get a bit out of balance with respect to each other, this seems to also trigger a warning. Even if the sun shines on one side of the car over a few hours, that can make a difference in the tire pressures in a hot climate. I always have a compressor along, which has proved to be most useful.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:18 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Happened to me yesterday. Temps in 50s for first time this autumn. One front low according to TPMS. Checked w tire gauge, same both sides, Drove for 15 mins, no more warning. Added 3 all around; no warning.
tk-porsche (10-01-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 11:47 AM
chazmink
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The same thing has happened to me twice, once in July when it was hot and again yesterday in the fifties. Both times it was the left rear tire and the pressure was 37 psi. The warning said -6. I increased pressure to 41 psi and the warning cleared and then I reduced the pressure back to where it was. I thought I had a fickle TPMS sensor on that wheel. After reading this thread I realize the phenomenon is not uncommon. That said, I think it is inexplicable and illogical and still think it might be a faulty sensor
tk-porsche (10-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Strange TPMS incident