Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Macan (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan-232/)
-   -   Alcantara vs ventilated seat in GTS.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/1130357-alcantara-vs-ventilated-seat-in-gts.html)

shing911500e 02-21-2019 04:53 PM

Alcantara vs ventilated seat in GTS..

Hi all, I'm considering the purchase of a CPO GTS. One of those being considered has alcantara seat inserts while the other has ventilated leather. The car with alcantara is considerably less expensive as it has approximately 10,000 more miles than the car with ventilated seats. Otherwise the spec of the two cars is nearly identical.

So the question to The forum is ....what are the pros and cons of alcantara?? I am a big fan of the ventilated seats and feel that in a car like the Macan they are an absolute must, however I don't know that I can rationalize such a steep price increase (~9k). Any and all feedback is more than welcome!!

Worth noting both cars have under 30k miles. The Alcantara car is a 2017, the ventilated seat car is a 2018.

Thanks!

Vise 02-21-2019 06:41 PM

I have the ventilated seats in my 911 GTS and also in my Macan S. I would absolutely spec them in any future purchase as well so in my view they are mandatory. No knock on the alcantara but you really don't need it in an SUV.

In terms of your situation there is much more than just the seat difference between those two models, most notably model year and mileage. Either keep looking or convince yourself to spend the extra on the 2018... my 2 cents.

CarGuyNVA 02-21-2019 06:59 PM

I second the ventilated leather seating. Had them in my Cayenne Turbo and now in my Macan GTS. They’re great. Leather isn’t as ‘grippy’ as alcantara, but that’s not really an issue if you’re not tracking the vehicle. You’ll use the ventilated seats more than you think!

Leather’s also a bit easier to maintain and care for than alcantara. Alcantara can become sort of matted down if not maintained, and alcantara especially on touch points like a steering wheel can really become matted down and kind of ‘slick’ over time (unless you really keep up with maintaining it and don’t drive with greasy french fry fingers all the time).

smbryan 02-21-2019 07:22 PM

Ventilated. All. Day. Long.

NC TRACKRAT 02-21-2019 09:08 PM

Yet another vote for the ventilated seats. When the weather warms up, you'll thank us.

rasetsu 02-22-2019 12:53 PM

Absolutely LOVE the ventilated seats. I use them in all weather, not just warm. I can run them with the seat heaters too and it feels really soothing. I have Alcantara in my Subaru STi. It's worn very well after 85K miles and don't make me sweaty like plain leather seats and grip me well but that's another animal where weight and hold me in seats matter. On the Macan, getting ventilated seats in Texas was one of the several reasons I built to spec. Now will you really need ventilated seats in Marin, CA at the expense of $9K more? Probably not. If there are no other factors between the two, I'd probably choose to save the $9K.

One thing I wish was different about optioning ventilated seats is that it requires you to take at least partial leather seats which in turn deletes the GTS interior package so you lose the red or silver tach face and I didn't want to option back in red gauges to get the tach back in red because that option makes the speedo red too which looks unbalanced to me since the right TFT gauge has an unchangeable black background. I wish I could have optioned just the tach in red like I could with the chrono clock.

Petza914 02-22-2019 02:06 PM

Ventilated all day every day. The only place I want alcantara in my car is on the headliner that never gets touched. I'm not sure how or why it got so popular, since it's just synthetic suede. Leather is a much higher quality material from a feel and comfort perspective. Alcantara constantly bunches up your pants or shorts doens't let you wiggle in the seat to make a small pressure point adjustment, is not easy to clean, takes a lot of cae, etc. I won't even look at a car that has alcantara seats. I was lucky when finding my Cayenne Turbo S as many had alcantara but the one I bought, not only had leather, but the soft ruffled leather, so the seats are even more luxurious than with the regular leather.

KM1959 02-22-2019 02:42 PM

I have alcantara in my GT3 I think the only advantage of is that it cleans so easy... oh, maybe it does look "sporty" but I can't see it while I'm actually using the car. I have ventilated in my Macan and much prefer it for comfort - which I can feel while using the car.

That all said. Within reason, I would not let seat upholstery be an "influencer" in car choice. Price and condition are my priorities, what are yours?

OldJedi 02-22-2019 03:43 PM

If you plan to track or do a lot of high performance driving in the Macan, then I would go with the Alcantara. If it is going to be a daily driver with multiple drivers then get the ventilated. We have a base 718 Boxster with ventilated seats and a 718 Cayman GTS with Alcantera. The Boxster is great here when it’s 97 degrees and 97% humidity. The Alcantera is wonderful in the GTS when on the track or just feeling sporty. Both cars have heated seats as well and the heat is used more than the ventilation. We plan to order a new Macan after they are released and it will have the 18 way seats with heat and ventilation.

shing911500e 02-23-2019 10:45 AM

I just figured out both cars lack roof rails and trailer hitch. Ugh! Why own an SUV?? Condition on both cars is exceptional fwiw and both have CPO. Thanks to all who responded. Confirmed my beliefs!!

Vise 02-23-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by shing911500e (Post 15658700)
I just figured out both cars lack roof rails and trailer hitch. Ugh! Why own an SUV??

My Macan doesn't have roof rails or trailer hitch and that is my preference... not everyone uses it the same way, my is for a daily driver/winter beater in the city with no intentions to haul/trailer anything.

Really the vast majority of SUVs these days are used as tall cars and not trucks meant for any serious hauling...

rasetsu 02-23-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by shing911500e (Post 15658700)
I just figured out both cars lack roof rails and trailer hitch. Ugh! Why own an SUV?? Condition on both cars is exceptional fwiw and both have CPO. Thanks to all who responded. Confirmed my beliefs!!

Originally Posted by Vise (Post 15658786)
My Macan doesn't have roof rails or trailer hitch and that is my preference... not everyone uses it the same way, my is for a daily driver/winter beater in the city with no intentions to haul/trailer anything.

Really the vast majority of SUVs these days are used as tall cars and not trucks meant for any serious hauling...

I also have neither. I would never use them. Macan is more of a lifted hatchback that I use as a daily commuter than a SUV and I like the cleaner look without them. I keep my cars for 6+ years so I spec to my preference, not for the next buyer. Also, there are much nicer looking aftermarket hidden hitches and temporary cross bars that can go on the roof if something ever changed.

///Bruce 02-23-2019 07:21 PM

My first experience with those was on a 2006 Lexus GS300. Again on an 09 ML63. Hands down - ventilated! My wife calls those seats by another name as in pu**y coolers. In the hot summer, keeps your back and ass from sweating. In the winter, it warms your lower back and butt. Get the heated steering wheel as well.

Leader 02-24-2019 07:27 PM

We have the ventilated seats on our Macan GTS. Love 'em.

Todd B 02-24-2019 10:37 PM

Another vote for the ventilated seats, they work far better than the seats in my F150.