Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 02:10 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I test drove a Macan Turbo during a Porsche Canada drive event. I thought it drove and handled very well. Seats are comfortable, view of the instrument pod is pretty good. Good ride and cornering. The rear seat room is improved over the ICE Macan and the exterior view from the rear and side is much improved (the ICE Macan has always looked a bit chopped off to me). I couldn't find much to fault the suv other than some tire howl at around 80 km/h (50 mph). I guess without engine and exhaust noise you hear other stuff.

I think my purchase would be a 4S though. After trying the accelerator pedal a few times, I think I'd get tired of slapping my head back against the head rest and I know my family would feel the same way. Enjoy your turbo though.
after 2 decades of motorcycling, the acceleration doesn't snap my neck back. I think the car in normal and sport mode feels pretty smooth.

I did mention a howl at 50 mph the other day but that noise has since disappeared.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-25-2024 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2024, 03:00 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I cant edit my original post but here's an update on the Burmester:

**Burmester sounds on great on wired CarPlay. You only noticed the preset sound settings when wired. Using wireless CarPlay, you won't notice any difference between the preset sound settings. The clarity and treble for instrumentals is phenomenal and easy to listen to for long trips, but the bass is really lacking. I noticed some other previous cars with Burmester system complained about bass and rattles, maybe they cut the bass because of these complaints, I don't hear any rattles turned up to Volume 27. Vol 21 is where I've left it. Even the bass adjusted up to +5, I didn't get any rattles or buzzing. I just wish it had a little more intensity and was able to feel the bass. I prefer to leave the bass and treble at 0 rather than adjust for each song I play.
The following 3 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
CraigW1 (09-25-2024), fleming23 (09-25-2024), TC Cruising (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 03:58 PM
fleming23
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI

**Burmester sounds on great on wired CarPlay. You only noticed the preset sound settings when wired. Using wireless CarPlay, you won't notice any difference between the preset sound settings. The clarity and treble for instrumentals is phenomenal and easy to listen to for long trips, but the bass is really lacking. I noticed some other previous cars with Burmester system complained about bass and rattles, maybe they cut the bass because of these complaints, I don't hear any rattles turned up to Volume 27. Vol 21 is where I've left it. Even the bass adjusted up to +5, I didn't get any rattles or buzzing. I just wish it had a little more intensity and was able to feel the bass. I prefer to leave the bass and treble at 0 rather than adjust for each song I play.
Good and disappointing at the same time I suppose. For a subwoofer enclosure that consumes more space than the standard Bose, you would think the output would also increase. Sound is so subjective, but still looking forward to doing a sound test in mine if it ever gets picked up from port.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:15 PM
driege
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI

Wait, does the Macan Electric support wired CarPlay in addition to wireless CarPlay? I assume it was one or the other, but I'd be really happy if wire is an option.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:26 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by driege
Wait, does the Macan Electric support wired CarPlay in addition to wireless CarPlay? I assume it was one or the other, but I'd be really happy if wire is an option.
All cars that have CarPlay support wired - it's the default connection method.
Some cars support Wireless too, on top of wired.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:32 PM
JonoNZ
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmrqs
No they don't -- most modern BMW products only support wireless CarPlay.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:38 PM
driege
AutoX

I recall hearing about some specific vehicles (non-Porsche) that only supported wireless, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by JonoNZ
My BMW with iDrive 8 supports both. Not sure about 8.5 or 9.

(Ironic my car is a 2024 and already has two entire OS's past the one my car came with. And these are not software upgrades, it's an entirely new OS and both have different processors to mine).

Last edited by Needsdecaf; Yesterday at 10:04 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

only supporting wifeless CarPlay makes very little sense IMHO - and I think has no benefits/upside - not sure why any manufacturer would do this - but I'm not omnipotent and I don't know all the details for the entire automotive industry.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
tmrqs
Instructor

I have not seen one yet, would you have a specific model in mind by chance?
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
driege
AutoX

I have not seen one yet, would you have a specific model in mind by chance?
The i4 apparently.

See link: https://www.i4talk.com/threads/wired...-carplay.4537/

Regardless, it sounds like Porsche supports wired as well as wireless, so there is no need for me to worry.

Also, Porsche's wireless charging + wireless CarPlay seems pretty good. I did a test drive yesterday with my phone on the charger and music playing via CarPlay. It was only a 10 to 12 minute drive and the phone battery increased by 5%, which is much better than most cars.

Last edited by driege; Yesterday at 02:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
JonoNZ
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW iX only supports wireless CarPlay, irrespective of what iDrive version you have. I know, I have an iX M60.

Last edited by JonoNZ; Yesterday at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tmrqs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

BMW iX only supports wireless CarPlay, irrespective of what iDrive version you have. I know, I have an iX M60.
That is wild - thanks for the datapoint!

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo