Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 12:25 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Curious, what does the owner's manual advise re: the break-in procedure?
about 800 fewer moving parts on an EV - no real break in period
Old 09-24-2024, 12:35 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

Right, and there's no reason to keep your new 911 Turbo under 4000 RPM for 2000 miles, but that doesn't stop them from telling owners to do just that.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:03 AM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Curious, what does the owner's manual advise re: the break-in procedure?
it does say 2000 miles along with tires/brakes mentioned. I also don’t want to spin the tire on the rim and deal with rebalancing the tires. I’m starting to notice a humming/resonating noise above 50 mph, not sure if it’s the tires, wheel bearing, brakes or something else.

I mentioned the tire pressure was set at 46 psi., the sticker on the door recommends 48 psi cold.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-24-2024 at 01:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 01:35 AM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

@beye i think I’ve figured out why the camera quality looked so bad.

turns out i hit the camera cleaning button and sprayed the water/solution over it. I noticed the streaks running down the back of the car today.

definitely user error here! 😅😅😅
The following 3 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
beye (09-24-2024), daveo4porsche (09-24-2024), TC Cruising (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 06:22 AM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
I'm going to be honest here. The car drives very quiet and smooth. Another member mentioned the sport sound was quiet and it really is. I have no reaction for it compared to my 430 Scuderia and 993 turbo. The Macan and Ferrari are my only automatic cars. If you're looking for a visceral experience, sorry the Macan is not it regardless if it's a "turbo".
I wonder how rear-wheel drive base model will behave. There are no reviews of this yet (neither 4S).
Rear-wheel drive cars have different driving dynamics, as most good sports cars are rear-wheel drive. I think rear-wheel drive are more fun in general, particularly if you get a chance to really play with them and have the talent to go a bit sideways. Also, the base Macan will have the best turn as there is no electric motor assembly upfront, the front axle will weigh less and reduce some inherent friction from the steering. 🤔

Old 09-24-2024, 09:10 AM
fleming23
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
Just a note, I got the door sill guards in aluminum to match the Burmester system I did not know the Turbo comes with carbon fiber interior door trim (I thought it was a textured metal or plastic) However, the carbon steering wheel and side view mirrors I got match the turbo interior carbon. Now, I kind of wish I splurged for the illuminated carbon door sills.
Have you had a chance to test/push the Burmester yet? Optioned on mine as well and my fingers are crossed it delivers reasonably decent audio quality based on the price. Punchy, clear, loud. Coming from the Rivian R1S Elevation, it can't be any worse...

Last edited by fleming23; 09-24-2024 at 09:13 AM.
TurboIXXI (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 09:42 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Michelin
Why is it important to break in new tyres? A tyre is a composite. In other words, it is a combination of different materials, some being vulcanized rubber compound, other Nylon or aramid fabrics. When you take it out of its package, it has never yet been inflated, it has never yet stretched to take on its operational shape. It therefore needs to 'work' to reach its final shape.

If it's a Tubeless Ready tyre, breaking it in will help it adapt to the sealant you're going to use, as each one is different. It will also depend on the local temperatures.

Breaking in new tyres is an important step, regardless their type, if you want to get the most out of them later on. Once broken in, the tyres will give you a better riding experience.

How long should you break in new tyres?

Breaking in new tyres is more a question of kilometers driven than duration. A break-in is considered sufficient when you've driven around 50 km. If you have an odometer, simply refer to this threshold. This distance necessarily implies that the tyre will have been sufficiently stressed to be used to its full potential.
https://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/a...k-in-new-tyres

Also, while at properly noted above that the break in for our motors is not required compared to ICE engines, half-shafts have bearings and there are gears in our vehicles. They need a break in period. As the Executive Chief Corvette Engineer told me, “I would not be taking my Corvette to the track until 1,500 miles and that those two items, even leaving aside our combustion engines, benefit from progressive break in — and why we recommend 1,500 miles for bearing and gears to fully break in before track usage.”

While doubtful other than at PECLA and other places our Macan EV’s will ever be on a track, I will mindful of bearing and gears break in a little bit myself. Not personally going to do full send launches as an example for perhaps 1,000 miles.

Last edited by TC Cruising; 09-24-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:27 PM
tvasbn
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 48 Posts

I mentioned the tire pressure was set at 46 psi., the sticker on the door recommends 48 psi cold.
i think they use this crazy pressure for mileage, i lower the pressure in my Cayenne to 2.4BAR(36psi) and the car is considerable more comfortable over small imperfection, before even whit air suspension was like a rock.
TurboIXXI (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tvasbn
i think they use this crazy pressure for mileage, i lower the pressure in my Cayenne to 2.4BAR(36psi) and the car is considerable more comfortable over small imperfection, before even whit air suspension was like a rock.
Sound like a good tip for road bumps.
What is the recommended air pressure for Cayenne compared to 2.4BAR(36psi) you use?
Old 09-24-2024, 02:31 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by fleming23
Have you had a chance to test/push the Burmester yet? Optioned on mine as well and my fingers are crossed it delivers reasonably decent audio quality based on the price. Punchy, clear, loud. Coming from the Rivian R1S Elevation, it can't be any worse...
I haven't done my usual listening test but I dislike comparing systems side by side. I had the Bose system in the base Macan and it was great and I'm sure the Burmester will be better.
In another car, I have a Pioneer P99RS, Hertz speakers running full active and while it sounds great, it is very fatiguing. I'm also planning to go with a Brax DSP for another car with McIntosh MX5000 & MC4000M.
At the end of the day, I'll wonder why I even bother modifying cars after sitting in the new Macan. The Burmester is really a bargain compared to something like the Brax DSP. Nothing to fiddle around with, just enjoying the stereo and not set yourself up for disappointment. Now if anyone has the new Alpine F#1 Status stereo, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-24-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 02:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

pics of the included EVSE please - (front and back)

I'm very curious as to what they are shipping and if the NEMA 14-50/6-50 cord is more beefy than the Taycan power supply cable.

thanks.
TurboIXXI (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 02:37 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

I'm very curious as to what they are shipping and if the NEMA 14-50/6-50 cord is more beefy than the Taycan power supply cable.

thanks.
It's the 9.6kW version 2, no digital display. comes with NEMA 14-50 and standard wall 120v cords. I have a video on how to change the cords, I'll upload to youtube.

Apparently, the 22kW version 1 was recalled after melting the receptacles??

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-24-2024 at 02:52 PM.
daveo4porsche (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 05:16 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

thanks.
After reading about these Porsche Mobile Chargers in the Taycan forum, I don't really want to risk using it. I do have a new Juicebox 40 charger sitting around somewhere.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-24-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 05:17 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Been using JuiceBox 40 for years without ever an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by TC Cruising:
daveo4porsche (09-24-2024), TurboIXXI (09-24-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 12:32 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

I test drove a Macan Turbo during a Porsche Canada drive event. I thought it drove and handled very well. Seats are comfortable, view of the instrument pod is pretty good. Good ride and cornering. The rear seat room is improved over the ICE Macan and the exterior view from the rear and side is much improved (the ICE Macan has always looked a bit chopped off to me). I couldn't find much to fault the suv other than some tire howl at around 80 km/h (50 mph). I guess without engine and exhaust noise you hear other stuff.

I think my purchase would be a 4S though. After trying the accelerator pedal a few times, I think I'd get tired of slapping my head back against the head rest and I know my family would feel the same way. Enjoy your turbo though.
TC Cruising (09-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo