Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Thoughts on roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 03:09 AM
driege
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on roof rails?

I'm torn on whether to add roof rails to my build. I don't need them for transporting things, but I got it in my head that they make the car look better and now I'm questioning that. I've seen a few of the new Macans in person at the local dealership, but all of them had the roof rack so I couldn't compare with and without. Any strong opinions on them aesthetically? I think if I saw with/without in person, I'd have an easier time deciding.
Old 09-16-2024, 04:19 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Personal opinion only!
I do prefer without them: add height to an already massive car.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:07 AM
TomekGnomek
Track Day

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing with the rear wiper.
Rarely things are both practical and good looking.
Ordered mine without both (roof rails and rear wiper).
Car looks smoother this way.
The following 4 users liked this post by TomekGnomek:
Awas (09-16-2024), bandrews (09-16-2024), beye (09-16-2024), TC Cruising (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 09:46 AM
fleming23
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

No rails, no wiper on mine. I have zero plans on putting a box, or anything on the roof, so it made no sense.
The following users liked this post:
Awas (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 10:30 AM
digli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the following as personal opinion only!

My early configurations all included the roof rails, in part because I currently use rails with cross bars to carry bikes. From a practical standpoint, the Macan is quite tall and it occurred to me that getting bikes on the roof will awkward (I'm 5'-9"); not a problem on my current Mercedes E450 wagon but the Macan is more than 6 inches taller than the E450. It also occurred to me that crossbars (and bikes) on the roof will have a significant impact on aerodynamics (and therefore range). So I will be moving to a trailer hitch mounted bike rack for the Macan.

Aesthetically, as more photos/videos appeared online, I felt that the roof rails made the car appear "chunkier" which, for those looking for a more rugged SUV look, might be plus. For me, the rails became a visual distraction to the overall form, adding height while visually shortening the length of the car, particularly noticeable on light-coloured bodies (my build colour is Frozen Blue Metallic with gloss black trim). This is in contrast with the Taycan CT (which I had considered before the Macan was announced) where the roof rails look fantastic on the long flatter roof line of the wagon shape, especially with the roof rails (in black) placed within the black expanse of the panoramic roof.
tmrqs (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 12:03 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

Go with your gut. Opinions are all subjective.
I personally ordered them. Functionally and visually. The Macan design has been simplified so much this generation and I tried to add items that gave it character. Oh and I also ordered the rear wiper. Living in the PNW rain we use it quite often with all our cars. (Minus the Spyder RS)
Old 09-16-2024, 12:09 PM
cethegus
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I added them on mine - personal taste - the car looks more SUV’ish that way - I have Copper Ruby with the black aluminium rails.

Even the Romans knew already: don’t dispute about tastes and colors
Old 09-16-2024, 01:22 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by driege
I'm torn on whether to add roof rails to my build. I don't need them for transporting things, but I got it in my head that they make the car look better and now I'm questioning that. I've seen a few of the new Macans in person at the local dealership, but all of them had the roof rack so I couldn't compare with and without. Any strong opinions on them aesthetically? I think if I saw with/without in person, I'd have an easier time deciding.
I like them when I need them and they are impossible to add later - I like my SUV's to be practical and roof rails are practical - but it's your call - but it can't be faked later.
Old 09-16-2024, 01:26 PM
PSPJames
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

We have them on our Cayenne (and never used them). I spec'ed then on the Macan. I like the way they look. That is the beauty of this car...you can design it nearly any way you want (at a cost, of course).
n4v4nod (09-16-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 04:01 PM
seejaneworkit
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered the offroad package which requires roof rails so we had no option. I don't love them personally but I'm glad they came in black as an option.
Old 09-21-2024, 05:52 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by seejaneworkit
I ordered the offroad package which requires roof rails so we had no option. I don't love them personally but I'm glad they came in black as an option.
For much less, I added just the off-road front bumper. This also raises the height in off-road mode just like in off-road package, but you don't get other bits and can avoid roof rails too.

Old 09-21-2024, 06:18 PM
seejaneworkit
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
For much less, I added just the off-road front bumper. This also raises the height in off-road mode just like in off-road package, but you don't get other bits and can avoid roof rails too.

I wanted the body color option so I had to be all in. I’ve seen a few photos with the option and love it so I’m going to be happy overall.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Thoughts on roof rails?