Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Porsche Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 12:36 PM
dhsmith
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Navigation System

I have ordered my Macan 4 with the head up display which I understand is only usable with the Porsche navigation system. Is the Porsche navigation system any good? How does it compare to Google Maps and Apple Maps?
Old 09-15-2024, 01:16 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

As Porsche is using Google Automotive, I guess it would be very similar to Google Maps. 🤔
But no idea how it compares to Apple Maps.
Old 09-15-2024, 03:33 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
As Porsche is using Google Automotive, I guess it would be very similar to Google Maps. 🤔
But no idea how it compares to Apple Maps.
Google Automotive is just the OS, I don’t believe the Google services are part of the implementation.

As far as I know, the internal navigation software is not based on Google Maps - and no real feedback yet on how it compares to Google/Apple Maps.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:11 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 348 Posts

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/i...in%20threshold.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
Awas (09-15-2024), TC Cruising (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 04:35 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
I am unsure I trust this article from January 2024, but we’ll know soon enough.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Awas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
That article clearly mentions, “The 2024 Macan EV runs Android Automotive, Google's full operating system that bundles services like Google Maps and Google Assistant.”

Seemed logical to me that Google Maps would be part and parcel of the OS, and Google Automotive won't be just for its OS.
Anyways, soon we should find out.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:14 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Awas
That article clearly mentions, “The 2024 Macan EV runs Android Automotive, Google's full operating system that bundles services like Google Maps and Google Assistant.”

Seemed logical to me that Google Maps would be part and parcel of the OS, and Google Automotive won't be just for its OS.
Anyways, soon we should find out.

My point is that article seems to mix everything.

I have not seen anywhere that Porsche is using Google Automotive Services, only Android Automotive as the OS - and that in itself does not mean using any Google service.

The article being published long before anyone got to play with the car, or Porsche made announcements about what it did re: navigation, I take it with a healthy fist of salt.

More details in layman terms can be found here. - and the Macan is specifically called out as one of the cars that do NOT use GAS.

One useful section below.

Android Automotive is a full operating system running on the vehicle's device, not relying on a smartphone to operate. As such, it has access to a limited number of apps on the Google Play Store, with this list growing over time.

Android Automotive is an open source operating system and, as such, a car manufacturer can use it without the Google Automotive Services (GAS), which are a collection of applications and services (Google Maps, Google Play, Google Assistant, etc.) that OEMs can license and integrate into their in-vehicle infotainment systems. Volvo, Renault, Ford and GM are using AAOS with GAS (advertised as "Cars with Google built-in" by Google).
Old 09-15-2024, 07:08 PM
driege
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my SA check all this out for me a few weeks ago. He requested more info from the people doing all the trainings on the car.

If you use Android Auto to connect your phone, you can use Google maps in the instrument cluster or the center screen but not the heads up display.

If you use Apple Carplay to connect your phone, you can use Apple maps in the instrument cluster or the center screen but not the heads up display. Google Maps can be shown on the center screen, but not the instrument cluster or heads up display.

Only the built-in navigation can be used in the heads up display (and also shown on the instrument cluster and center screen). The in-car navigation is not the full Google Maps app - it is Porsche's navigation, but the routes and traffic are powered by Google. The interface looks worse than Google in my opinion, but at least the routing should be solid (and the AR directions in the HUD look like they could be really cool).

It sounded like in future vehicles, they will include the full Google Services in the car (including Google Maps), but not yet.

Last edited by driege; 09-15-2024 at 07:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by driege:
Awas (09-15-2024), tmrqs (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 07:26 PM
Awas
Instructor

Originally Posted by driege
The in-car navigation is not the full Google Maps app - it is Porsche's navigation, but the routes and traffic are powered by Google. The interface looks worse than Google in my opinion, but at least the routing should be solid (and the AR directions in the HUD look like they could be really cool).
Thanks for the clarification, that's quite helpful.
That means @tmrqs and I half guessed it right 🙂
The following users liked this post:
tmrqs (09-15-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 11:44 AM
normp
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Everyone I know has a phone that has a much better navigation system than those provided by automotive manufacturers- better technology, better data and more frequent updates. It’s only a matter of time until phones take over this space. Smaller manufacturers are already going this route, look at Ferrari, they no longer provide a navigation system in any of their cars.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Porsche Navigation System