Sponsored by:

Macan EV: 115V outlet in the back

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 02:52 PM
fubar.droid
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 115V outlet in the back

Does anyone know how many amps this will be? Curious if it's enough to power a few things in a blackout like fridges or useful for camping as a power source for heat / cooking.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by fubar.droid
Does anyone know how many amps this will be? Curious if it's enough to power a few things in a blackout like fridges or useful for camping as a power source for heat / cooking.
less than 200 watts so not for "black out support" of high demand devices - but run your charger for devices, your cable modem and wifi base station no problem ;-)

however if you do want something like that I recommend a 12V DC/AC inverter - clamped directly to the 12V jump-starter posts in the frunk - with the car "on" - the 12V inverter can run things and the "big battery" will charge the 12V while the inverter is drawing power

I did this a few times with my Chevy Bolt and it worked great - the Bolt has like 60 kWh of battery - so a 1000 watt inteverter can run for like 2 days with that much back up power…

something like this clamped directly to the postive/negative 12V battery terminals should do the trick…

Amazon Amazon

YOU GOT THIS ON THE INTERNET - I"M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY "BAD OUTCOMES" IF YOU CHOOSE TO PURSUE THIS APPROACH…

but a set up like this has allowed me to run a fridge and charge my devices for several hours - make sure to leave the car "ON" so that it will charge the small 12V battery from the big 800V battery…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-22-2024 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
fubar.droid (06-22-2024), TC Cruising (06-23-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
less than 200 watts so not for "black out support" of high demand devices - but run your charger for devices, your cable modem and wifi base station no problem ;-)

however if you do want something like that I recommend a 12V DC/AC inverter - clamped directly to the 12V jump-starter posts in the frunk - with the car "on" - the 12V inverter can run things and the "big battery" will charge the 12V while the inverter is drawing power

I did this a few times with my Chevy Bolt and it worked great - the Bolt has like 60 kWh of battery - so a 1000 watt inteverter can run for like 2 days with that much back up power…

something like this clamped directly to the postive/negative 12V battery terminals should do the trick…

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpart-Inver...s%2C242&sr=8-7

YOU GOT THIS ON THE INTERNET - I"M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY "BAD OUTCOMES" IF YOU CHOOSE TO PURSUE THIS APPROACH…

but a set up like this has allowed me to run a fridge and charge my devices for several hours - make sure to leave the car "ON" so that it will charge the small 12V battery from the big 800V battery…
note you can do this same trick with a gas car - run a 12V 500/1000/1500 watt inverter from the 12V battery - but you have to have the gas car running so the alternator charges the battery while you're draining it - but it works great in a pinch…

basically haveing a good high capacity 1000 watt 12V inverter with battery clamps lets you use any modern vehicle as an AC power source "in a pinch" - so it's a good "kit" to have ready for one's home

a 12V inverter 1000/1250/1500 watts - and a couple of long extension cords, and power strips - and you can use your car as a power source should you need to do so - I recommend inverters with direct battery clamps to the vehicle's 12V battery - so you're not pulling the DC power through the car's electrical-system/fuse-box - the fewer things between the source of the power and the AC outlet the better IMHO…

NOTE: refridgerators actually run just fine at less than 500 watts normally - so they aren't really that high demand - but the defrost cycle can use 1200-1400 watts infrequently - that's why you need the bigger inverters - but normal running fidges are not that bad.
The following users liked this post:
fubar.droid (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:28 PM
fubar.droid
Advanced

Ah thank you for that info! Definitely will grab an inverter for a pinch!
Old 06-22-2024, 06:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fubar.droid
150 watts - still think it's useful - lots of power to run USB chargers for devices…

https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/...2/#post-259151
Old 06-22-2024, 07:38 PM
fubar.droid
Advanced

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
150 watts - still think it's useful - lots of power to run USB chargers for devices…

https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/...2/#post-259151
Dang 150W? Was hoping for more, most laptops can be charged off a 12V socket. So good to have at only $160 but probably not something I will find regular use out of. Maybe a portable fridge or something.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: 115V outlet in the back