Sponsored by:

Macan EV: ugly wheel choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 11:42 AM
cerb1958
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ugly wheel choices

Why don't Porsche offer some good looking 20" and 21" wheel choices for EV Macan? I want 20" because sometimes I actually drive on rocky trails as is intended for SUVs
I understand offering some "aero" choices - although I find it weird that suddenly "aero" overrides appearance, when it does not for ICE Porsches, but Porsche should at least offer some good looking 20" and 21" wheels even if they are not aero - some people will prefer good looks over improved range.
The Mission E wheels on Taycan are awesome looking IMO

Last edited by cerb1958; 04-21-2024 at 01:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cerb1958:
Mulacttocs (04-28-2024), RList911 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 12:46 PM
digli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, especially in the 21 inch size which, IMHO, is the sweet spot between looks and compliance (for those of us who need drive on crappy roads). I know this is personal opinion but does anyone else feel that the 22's don't seem to have enough sidewall to balance the wheel openings?

Last edited by digli; 04-21-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:09 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 135 Posts

Aerodynamics have proven to be substantially more important in the EV world than in the ICE world (at least from a marketing standpoint). Few people care more a few less tenths of a mile per gallon, but many are concerned about EV range, hence it's all about drag coefficient. That's why most of the EV SUVs look like eggs. Bold, aggressive wheels=drag. A few of Porsche's wheel choices add black metal background to accentuate the brighter (foreground) silver part of the wheel while maintaining decent aerodynamics at the same time. A sort of optical illusion, with a varying degree of success. When I initially saw some of the wheels in the recent videos I thought that they were filming with wheels that were unavailable. On closer inspection, those are the available wheels, but you almost can't see the black background part at the angles they filmed, likely intentional. The same thing is done in the fashion industry. Black waistline inserts on dresses to make individuals look thinner.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:29 PM
digli
Advanced

Turbo wheels spotted --- I think these are the 20 inch version. I quite like them and have spec'd the 21 inch version of the Turbo wheel (a zero cost option). I appreciate the 21 inch will have a reduced range (compared to the 20 inch) but I think it looks better (stupid vanity).

Last edited by digli; 04-21-2024 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RList911 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:14 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Aerodynamics have proven to be substantially more important in the EV world than in the ICE world (at least from a marketing standpoint). Few people care more a few less tenths of a mile per gallon, but many are concerned about EV range, hence it's all about drag coefficient. That's why most of the EV SUVs look like eggs. Bold, aggressive wheels=drag. A few of Porsche's wheel choices add black metal background to accentuate the brighter (foreground) silver part of the wheel while maintaining decent aerodynamics at the same time. A sort of optical illusion, with a varying degree of success. When I initially saw some of the wheels in the recent videos I thought that they were filming with wheels that were unavailable. On closer inspection, those are the available wheels, but you almost can't see the black background part at the angles they filmed, likely intentional. The same thing is done in the fashion industry. Black waistline inserts on dresses to make individuals look thinner.
Yep, I'm staying with standard wheels. I'd prefer 18-inch or 19-inch wheels, quite honestly, and wish that Porsche offered them. I don't really like hardly any wheel designs that Porsche puts out on their four-door vehicles, and I actually like the standard wheels about the best on all their vehicles. So I make Porsche unhappy by not ordering all their extra, pricey stuff. For BEVs it is indeed much more important to have smaller wheels if you care about range (and I do). I don't understand why Porsche keeps getting bigger and bigger on their wheels over time; I guess that it's buyers who don't want to buy the smaller wheels, so they stop offering them. I think that the Macan came with 18-inch wheels a few years ago as standard.

Last edited by cometguy; 04-25-2024 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:29 AM
jww
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget, this thing weighs 5400 lbs, so bigger wheels than the outgoing Macan makes sense for load and grip.

I happen to agree w digli. It'll prob be the 21" Turbo wheels for me too. I think they look cool and different and hopefully are compliant when I need them to be.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:39 AM
digli
Advanced

A decent photo of the standard Turbo wheels:

Last edited by digli; 04-28-2024 at 10:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by digli:
jww (04-28-2024), TC Cruising (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:54 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 348 Posts

We are going 22” on ours, but we don’t expect to go off-road much if at all. Originally liked the RS wheel but have changed to Exclusive design wheels in gloss black.

If you look at the Porsche offering wheels, they are variations of the classic Fuchs 5 spoke design. My favorite wheel of recent is the Taycan Cross Tursmo wheel. If they offered this for the Macan EV, I would be in 100%.

One last thought, with the size of the Macan market, there will most definitely be a surge of new wheels offered for the Macan EV. If you know you want a 20”, pick that one so you are tire ready if you want to replace with aftermarket later. If you go 21”, the Macan Design wheel would be my choice.

The following users liked this post:
mikeright (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 12:46 PM
mikeright
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I am deciding between your choice and the 22” RS painted in Vesuvius. I don’t know why but with light colours I prefer your option but with dark ones like the Gentian blue the RS looks more sporty.

Besides with the Turbo model maybe the RS ones let see the red brakes more.

in any case both are amazing options.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:58 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by digli
A decent photo of the standard Turbo wheels:
These 20" wheels are my choice, seems to have better sidewall than any other, which is good for ride quality in the awful UK roads we have. Also, gives the best range.
Besides, some other wheel options are very expensive. I would rather spend that money on better interior option, like carbon etc.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I have the best looking but least efficient wheels on my Taycan (the ones posted above, Taycan design). Gotta pick your poison. Looks over efficiency.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:44 PM
fleming23
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeright
I am deciding between your choice and the 22” RS painted in Vesuvius. I don’t know why but with light colours I prefer your option but with dark ones like the Gentian blue the RS looks more sporty.

Besides with the Turbo model maybe the RS ones let see the red brakes more.

in any case both are amazing options.
Wheel choice was the one option I agonized over more than any other... Hoping I don't hate the RS in Jet Black... with some ceramic coating, and reduced mechanical braking from regen, I hope they stay looking good with minimal effort.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:55 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Wheel choice was the one option I agonized over more than any other... Hoping I don't hate the RS in Jet Black... with some ceramic coating, and reduced mechanical braking from regen, I hope they stay looking good with minimal effort.
Nice, but these wheels must be very expensive.
Every one has their preferences based on how much they can afford, but I can never spend that much on wheels. My preference will be to spend a little more for better interior options where I and others will be sitting all the time
Old 05-14-2024, 02:28 PM
Corsa Forged
Former Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Get the cheapest optioned wheels, then with the money you were going to spend optioning a set, buy an aftermarket set you'd like.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:37 AM
911992Ct
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, I think they look awesome and they will probably be pretty easy to keep clean.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: ugly wheel choices