Sponsored by:

Macan EV: High Gloss Black Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 10:51 AM
digli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default High Gloss Black Trim?

Does anyone else wish that the high gloss black (HGB) wheel arch trim and lower valence/skirts did not come as standard equipment on the Turbo model? I will be using the Macan in deeper snow conditions, gravel roads, etc., and am concerned that that these lower HGB trim pieces will not hold up well compared to the matte plastic of the Macan 4. The Offroad Design Package (which includes the roof rails that I planned to include in the spec) swaps this trim for matte plastic (plus Vesuvius Grey painted inlays). This looks ok in the Configurator but needs to be seen in person and I suspect there won't be many Offroad Design spec'd cars to see in dealerships. I don't mind the look of the Taycan 4S/CT with similar painted lower inlays (see examples below) and matte wheel arches (although the Macan wheel arch trim is much slimmer and looks better than the Taycan's IMHO). The other option (besides the Offroad Design Package) is to wrap these HGB areas but I've read that, anecdotally, wheel arches can be tricky for wraps to adhere to.

Anyone else have thoughts on the HGB trim for the Turbo? Love the look? Hate the look? Impractical?

Last edited by digli; 04-04-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:18 PM
julianm
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 718 came with the high gloss black trim option, despite me not wanting that originally. One thing I learned from that experience is that unlike the standard rough plastic trim, high gloss trim can be PPFed — you could even get a more matte PPF if you wanted.

It is a different situation with Macan, though, which yes we would take into snow a lot more often. I wish we could at least option the Turbo to not have high gloss black. I don’t like the idea of the off-road design package adding Vesuvius Grey when there’s already Turbonite grey and high gloss black involved.

Last edited by julianm; 04-04-2024 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (04-08-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:35 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 348 Posts

As you said the Turbo comes with the high gloss black standard. If you select the off road design package, it changes to the matte black trim, and raises the suspension height +10mm as well. I chose body color option but you can also select without in the config. I prefer the off road package with body color. Final pic is our config.

Going to be a while before these show up at dealer events, perhaps summer to fall from latest info from my dealer. Like you we hope to be able to see one in person before we have our config lock, but I’m comfortable taking the plunge before if we get an allocation.

Based on your mentioned use of the Macan Turbo, I would think the offroad package with additional height and matte trim is ideal. If you stay stock, PPF double layer is likely your best solution.

Standard gloss black

Offroad Design Package Body Color and Matte Black

The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (04-08-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:05 PM
digli
Advanced

Originally Posted by julianm
My 718 came with the high gloss black trim option, despite me not wanting that originally. One thing I learned from that experience is that unlike the standard rough plastic trim, high gloss trim can be PPFed — you could even get a more matte PPF if you wanted.

It is a different situation with Macan, though, which yes we would take into snow a lot more often. I wish we could at least option the Turbo to not have high gloss black. I don’t like the idea of the off-road design package adding Vesuvius Grey when there’s already Turbonite grey and high gloss black involved.
Agreed, the Turbonite bits need to be minimized. Notwithstanding my thoughts about HGB lower trim, I'm ok swapping the side window trim and airblades to black.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:05 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

There's not much surface area on the gloss black flares, so I think getting PPF to hold up long-term will be a challenge.

I do wonder if the flares are a simple bolt-on item, so maybe they can be swapped to the matte versions (or simply replaced if they take a lot of damage) without having to get the full off road package.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:55 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
As you said the Turbo comes with the high gloss black standard. If you select the off road design package, it changes to the matte black trim, and raises the suspension height +10mm as well. I chose body color option but you can also select without in the config. I prefer the off road package with body color. Final pic is our config.

Going to be a while before these show up at dealer events, perhaps summer to fall from latest info from my dealer. Like you we hope to be able to see one in person before we have our config lock, but I’m comfortable taking the plunge before if we get an allocation.

Based on your mentioned use of the Macan Turbo, I would think the offroad package with additional height and matte trim is ideal. If you stay stock, PPF double layer is likely your best solution.

Standard gloss black

Offroad Design Package Body Color and Matte Black
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't say the suspension is raised by 10mm. I think there is 10mm more clearance with the offroad design package front lip.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 04-08-2024 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2024, 05:59 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't say the suspension is raised by 10mm. I think there is 10mm more clearance with the offroad design package front lip.
But here "the specific air suspension..." is mentioned (see below config.), so I guess it is the air suspension that raises it by 10mm, in normal mode.

Personally, I'm not interested in offroad package, but there is offroad front pumper option available too for much less cost, and it does raise the vehicle by 10mm as well. I like that cheaper option instead.

Last edited by Awas; 04-08-2024 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:25 PM
digli
Advanced

@Awas: This isn't an issue for the Macan 4 --- only the Turbo has the HGB lower trim that I'm trying to get away from. If I choose the Macan 4, I would not add the Offroad Design Package at all since matte lower trim is standard.

With respect to ride height with the Offroad Design Package, if the Macan follows the same approach as the Taycan CT, then I think the Offroad Design Package just sets the "Normal" height 10mm higher but doesn't provide any greater overall clearance capability. This Taycan thread explains it: (5) Chart: Taycan Cross Turismo ground clearance heights -- with and without Offroad Design Package | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums
Old 04-09-2024, 05:52 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

I bet the wheel arch trim will be cheap to buy.. or just trade with a macan 4 owner.. i'm sure someone will want gloss black trim.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: High Gloss Black Trim?