Macan EV Discuss the 2024 Porsche Macan EV
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:16 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

For all the impressometer guys (and Porsche sales staff right?) out there, here is the real range (spoiler alert) 276miles

yes sales correct, 276 miles,
because i wouldn't buy a Porsche to be driven like a Prius
The following users liked this post:
WasabiPeas (04-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:36 PM
GMPNW
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
For all the impressometer guys (and Porsche sales staff right?) out there, here is the real range (spoiler alert) 276miles

As a practical matter, where does range come into play? 276, 300, 325, etc. are all the same number for normal daily driving, when none of these figures would be approached. It would be exceedingly rare for a longer drive to be precisely at a distance such that an EV with 300 miles of range could make it in one charge, but one with only 276 miles could not. That leaves cross-country trips where an EV with 325 miles of range could travel 18% further between charges than one with 276 miles: who cares?

It would take an EV with double the range of whatever the Macan EV manages for me to take notice. Which, btw, would still leave it short of what my ICE Macan can achieve under optimal circumstances.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:46 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Thomas of Auitogefühl driving a turbo with 22” in a very spirited way got 500 kilometers of 311 miles. Driving as most of us on a daily basis without Thomas’ acceleration bursts, and even launch control, would have easily gotten 325 miles with the 22” turbo.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:04 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by TC Cruising
Thomas of Auitogefühl driving a turbo with 22” in a very spirited way got 500 kilometers of 311 miles. Driving as most of us on a daily basis without Thomas’ acceleration bursts, and even launch control, would have easily gotten 325 miles with the 22” turbo.
he and his girlfriend... are sold to Porsche, how they would pay the bill afterall?

Look to Carwow for an honest review
rest is damn marketing

276 considering the car weight and "not too new" battery technology, is reasonable

Problem is how this Iphonization of Porsche will make sense considering the fast tech evolution?

You pay 150k a car worth less than 50% every 15 months ? 6k burn
per month assuming you find a buyer.... will push Porsche cars flooding the used market at non premium price ?

If your worker can buy and drive your relatively young Porsche for half price in short time , will you next time still accept to pay the 150k premium?

Doesn't sound like a snowball for Porsche ?

Last edited by fxz; 04-24-2024 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:24 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Range has nothing to do with battery technology on a 25° celsius sunny day.
A kWh of a LFP battery is the same as 1 kWh from a solid-state battery, which is, you know, the top very new technology « that will change our life ».
What makes the difference?
- density: with solid state, for same weight/volume, you will put in your car 130 kWh (at least) instead of 100 kWh. 30% more kWh/same weight equals 30% more range. But miles per kWh are the same.
- efficiency: big wheels, motors, aerodynamics,
- weather conditions
- driving style

What really makes the difference:
- for round trip: have a charger at your home/business location
- for long trip : at least 2/3 hours of driving per charge on highway, charging curve and availability of « supercharged » chargers.

My point is that the extra value some people are waiting for with « future EV with some new battery technology » is just useless for most of them.
It is over evaluated in the used cars market, the EV war price is another factor that increases the loss of value ; thanks to Tesla in the first place, chinese car builders now.
A 450 miles car value is 50% more than a 300 miles one? You know it’s more complexe than that if you are a 911 owner (for instance).

Sure, at some point there will be cars you don’t need to refuel/charge (ultra dense battery, contact less charge. 200/300 kWh in the battery, you park, you charge without cable).
It will be nice, but with my usage, it won’t be a game changer at all. EV has already been a game changer for me.

Last edited by beye; 04-24-2024 at 04:27 AM.
TC Cruising (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
GDF
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz

If real range ends up being 276 miles then Porsche could have done much better. For people that travel a lot like me, I need more real range than that. If all you do is drive local, then it is no big deal. Most Americans will never convert to EV’s until range is similar to gas cars and time to fill up when traveling is consistent and not much slower than gas either.

Hoping range is better than that. Would have guessed around 330 miles.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 AM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by GDF
If real range ends up being 276 miles then Porsche could have done much better. For people that travel a lot like me, I need more real range than that. If all you do is drive local, then it is no big deal. Most Americans will never convert to EV’s until range is similar to gas cars and time to fill up when traveling is consistent and not much slower than gas either.

If driven like a Merc EQE
I guess 320 miles is doable,

but then if i need to drive it slowly i wonder why to pay the Porsche premium?

To bring on weekends a 2.5 ton SUV on b roads? Really?

Last edited by fxz; 04-24-2024 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:48 AM
WasabiPeas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I can't use Tesla superchargers with this Macan EV then it's a non-starter. Electrify America is awful - lots of complaints about broken or slow chargers. Buy an ICE Macan now while you still can. They will be highly sought after when the Macan EV is all that Porsche will be selling.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:50 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

To each their own. I just went in my BEV to a new Electrifying America station. It was excellent, with 350 kW chargers, Starbucks, rest area in adjoining stores, even a dog walking area. No argument that EA still needs improvement but they are moving in the right direction.
Awas (04-25-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:56 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

Originally Posted by fxz
If driven like a Merc EQE
I guess 320 miles is doable,

but then if i need to drive it slowly i wonder why to pay the Porsche premium?

To bring on weekends a 2.5 ton SUV on b roads? Really?

Just like my C8 Z06, when I hammer on it (exercising it), my mileage is reduced by a ton. But here is the key issue to me, “DO I CARE?” 99% of the time, since I have an level 2 EVSE in my garage, we care less what my range is on our daily driver EV (our my BWM iX M60). Most days we drive, when we get home we do not even need to charge still — for we have returned home with massive excessive range remaining. When we road trip in it, we plan ahead and again have not had a single range problem on our trips..

Yet,I sure however understand that those who commute a long way ever day, use their vehicle to do their jobs and are driving mega miles every day, that EV range can well be an issue for them. An EV is not for everyone and if someone wishes to buy an ICE or a Lucid Air, good for them.

There will excitedly be a Macan Turbo in our future. Nice again that we all get to choose.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:21 PM
jww
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

276 might be the real world, IF I’m driving like a Porsche for a Turbo, but who cares?

when I’m road tripping I can calm down and get an extra 20 or 30 miles range if that’s what I want to do. Honestly more than 4 hours of driving without a break sounds like work. I’d prefer to stop and grab a bite, hit a bathroom.

To each their own, but having owned an EV for years now, range is not a big concern for me.
beye (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 01:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
"This car has too much power" said no one ever.
The Plaid has too much power.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:20 PM
stanwyk
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WasabiPeas
If I can't use Tesla superchargers with this Macan EV then it's a non-starter. Electrify America is awful - lots of complaints about broken or slow chargers. Buy an ICE Macan now while you still can. They will be highly sought after when the Macan EV is all that Porsche will be selling.
That is going to take time in the U.S. and right now there are plenty of ICE Macans in every Porsche dealer’s lot. Their value drops like a rock like every luxury car. A two year old Macan has already dropped 35% in value.

The Macan is a daily driver car. It’s not going to become some scarce commodity just because of the Macan EV.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

Originally Posted by GDF

Most Americans have already converted to EVs.

They just don't know it yet.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:12 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by WasabiPeas
If I can't use Tesla superchargers with this Macan EV then it's a non-starter.
My wife and I put a thousand miles a month on our EV and we've never once used public fast charging in the 18 months we've had the car. L2 charge at home and the occasional free L2 charge in public.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Test Drive