Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Consensus on Rear Wiper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 08:50 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Consensus on Rear Wiper?

What is the consensus on the need for the rear wiper? I have never owned a Porsche with rear wiper (or 4 doors), but every SUV I have owned has needed the wiper. We don't get much rain where I live, but a decent amount of snow over the winter.

Last edited by sparkhill; 02-16-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I want the rear wiper - but when I attempt to configure it - it conflicts with the noise insulating glass and that is more important to me than the wiper…strange conflict.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:55 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 348 Posts

My wife and I debated this one when we did our config. We have a deposit in but not yet needing to lock the config, so I would say we could change our minds. Currently we opted no rear wiper. Came down to the aesthetic of the wiper looking out of place with the smooth overall flow of the design for me.

Interestingly, the Macan EV rear window looks smaller than previous Macans. See our previous two Macan GTS, 2018 and 2023 both with rear wiper. Highly functional and used often on rainy days. So there’s a chance I got overruled on this one and we add it back on final config.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:33 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I have always regretted all my SUV’s/crossovers without a rear wiper. As to missing out on the noise insulating glass, every EV is much quieter than our earlier vehicles, and as to the the component of heat rejection with that latter option, all Macan EV’s come with privacy glass for the rear doors and back, and as I always get a ceramic window tint (also heat rejecting) for the front doors, these combinations of factors have me getting a rear wiper on my Macan.

‘Of course your conditions may vary, especially if you live in a “dry and hot climate” (but neither of those weather factors apply to me).
The following users liked this post:
ToasterThief (02-20-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 12:52 AM
GMPNW
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in Seattle, so...yeah, I'm getting a rear wiper.

Yesterday I did as much research as I could find on sound insulating glass, including controlled measurements, and apparently it does nothing to dampen noise inside the cabin. I don't know about heat rejection, and don't need it where I live.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:52 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I want the rear wiper - but when I attempt to configure it - it conflicts with the noise insulating glass and that is more important to me than the wiper…strange conflict.
Adding to the strangeness, my 2023 Macan GTS had noise insulating glass and rear wiper. Looking at my pics above, must be related to the location. Macan EV appears to sit higher in the glass, than the 2023 GTS.

TC Cruising (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 02:19 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by GMPNW
I live in Seattle, so...yeah, I'm getting a rear wiper.

Yesterday I did as much research as I could find on sound insulating glass, including controlled measurements, and apparently it does nothing to dampen noise inside the cabin. I don't know about heat rejection, and don't need it where I live.
Yeah... I'm in PNW... Rear wiper is a must.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:13 AM
stanwyk
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in a four season climate (and one with more rain than PNW), but I absolutely detest rear wipers. Particularly with the EV, the rear wiper detracts from the sleek aesthetic of the design, and the slope of the rear glass looks steeper than the ICE version, so it might not be necessary anyway.

With the surround view on my current Macan, I don’t have a real need for a wiper. All it manages to do is funnel road debris down the paint of the trunk.

I thought my SA would ask about the rear wiper, but he said nothing about my build.

Interestingly the 4 and Turbo are built without the rear wiper in the press reveals.

Last edited by stanwyk; 02-17-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:22 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 942 Posts

Pretty sure the 0.25 drag coefficient requires no wiper and no roof racks to achieve. Which I'm guessing is why the launch vehicles didn't have either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
BarMonheimer (03-21-2024), Jeff Whitten (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 04:10 PM
stanwyk
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I’m just glad it’s an option, now we can all be happy. Maybe my 21” wheels will be offset by removing the wiper. Hah.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:34 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Pretty sure the 0.25 drag coefficient requires no wiper and no roof racks to achieve. Which I'm guessing is why the launch vehicles didn't have either.
Good catch, though when Kyle/OutOfSpec was inside the Leipzig factory talking to the Macan development engineers last fall, they told him the roof rails had little effect on aero. As to the wiper blades, as they are just above the rear deck spoiler, might they interfere more than minimally interfere with air flow separation by creating swirling air eddies especially when wiping back and forth? I noticed on the Carscoops picture captures of the Macan EV test fleet in Scandinavia no long ago, most had wipers. A necessity? Testing purposes? Aero range evaluation?

BarMonheimer (03-21-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 07:09 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Of course as all we have so far seen is version 1 of the configurator, but I find it not pleasing for those of us getting the turbo with all the rest of its plastic being painted over with gloss black paint, that the windshield wiper is only dull black plastic (though it is an option for an extra $200 on the Taycan to get it instead gloss black plastic painted). Again could well be just the initial configuration is needing an accuracy upgrade. Or I might have to paint the wiper myself gloss black.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:06 PM
GMPNW
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TC Cruising
Of course as all we have so far seen is version 1 of the configurator, but I find it not pleasing for those of us getting the turbo with all the rest of its plastic being painted over with gloss black paint, that the windshield wiper is only dull black plastic (though it is an option for an extra $200 on the Taycan to get it instead gloss black plastic painted). Again could well be just the initial configuration is needing an accuracy upgrade. Or I might have to paint the wiper myself gloss black.
Selecting the black roof rail forces selection also of glossy black window trim, which I suppose then begins the process of selecting other glossy black options. However, I've managed to break the configurator by finding a way to deselect the rails and yet still see them visualized, so who knows what is real? My 2019 Macan seems to have a combination of glossy and low sheen black trims, but the rear wiper is not glossy.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:58 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I think that the reason why two-door Porsches don't get rear wipers standard is that they aren't usually driven in weather conditions that call for a rear wiper.
Four-door Porsches are daily drivers and long-distance (roadtrip) vehicles that certainly require rear wipers, and they have always been standard in the US (until the Macan Electric), which is odd. The single biggest complaint that I see amongst Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 owners is the lack of a rear-window wiper.
I do wish that they'd copied the rear spoiler design atop the rear window from the ICE Macan, and which is present on the Taycan CT4.

Last edited by cometguy; 02-19-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:50 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

Unless it works better than the rear wiper on my Cayenne, I’d skip it. I’ve never owned a vehicle with a worse performing rear wiper. OK for the rain, but as soon as road crud gets sucked onto the rear window, it gives up and just streaks while using copious amounts of washer fluid to try and clean a portion of the window off. Sad design.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Consensus on Rear Wiper?