Sponsored by:

Macan EV: 5393 lbs (2446 kg)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 02:40 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
That is how much a Macan Turbo weighs . In contrast a current GTS weighs 4400 pounds . Macan T is 4151 pounds .

It doesn't matter that Porsche tried to redistribute the weight . There is no way to hide it !!

Every journalist review talks about "3.1 seconds " and " more range" on this "all new and exciting" Macan .
Heck , its "even faster than a Gt3"
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/01/20...han-a-911-gt3/

No 1/4 mile time found BTW .

There. are threads here but not one of them is discussing the elephant in the room .
weight is irrelevant when the top selling vehicles in North America are 4800 lbs (or more) pick up trucks and various large SUV's…next topic?

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-12-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:51 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 760 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
wow - you're points are nothing new - debunked and do not need to be rehashed - thounsands of Taycan's have been sold and are being driven - and you have your agenda which is clear…

drive an EV and then get back to us.

gasoline having higher density than LiON batteries is factually truly but pointless for efficiency - it's all about miles driven per-kwh consumed - EV's are 3x more efficient per-kWh of equivalent energy - and EV's are effectively 100 mpg modes of transportation - the new Macan with 320+ miles of range for 100 kWh battery (95 kWh suable) will be approximately 110 mpg…

none of us have driven EV's - well that's simply not true…100's of thousand of Tesla's? 10's of thousands of Taycan's world wide have been sold and are being driven.

charging network in europe/china is robust and built out -and Supercharger network in North America is very effective and built out…

seems to me you have your narrative and we have our's - but weight is irrelevant to most purchasers and the efficiency is undeniable as well as the throttle response and acceleration - handling is more than acceptable due to excellent throttle response, low CG, and street legal speeds - don't track it and you'll be fine at any speeds that won't get you arrested for felony speeding - not a track car - yeah we get that - move on - most SUV's are in a similar camp…

what's your point - it's a heavy SUV? yeah - so what? at 100 mpg or more the EV Macan is way way better for daily duty vs. a 22 mpg Macan GTS - and if charged at home in the garage you'll never visit the charging network since the car is full every morning from overnight charging in your home - at 3.2 miles/kWh (or better) efficiency it a way better car for what 99.9% of any Macan's annual usage is likely to be vs. 22 mpg for running to/from school/work/mall/grocery store.

you're beating a drum that doesn't matter to 99% of purchasers and has no bearing on efficiency for energy consumed per-mail - other than if it was lighter it would even better than it is now - but even with it's weight it's already 3x more efficient than the current ICE Macan…

your arguments are not only well understood and pointless they've been hashed over 4 years ago in the Taycan forums and are NOTHING new - and yet people who drive a Taycan tend to love them even when they had the same concerns you express…

it's not an agenda - it's a counter to your narrative which is shallow, pointless and mostly ignores the goals and facts about energy consumed per-unit of distance driven…and is wrong if you think the EV charging network isn't viable and getting better every day not worse…

don't buy a MacanEV - great - but let's not pretend that weight matters on a luxury SUV for driving to/from the mall/school/soccer practice.
I said no one has driven the Macan EV . You also paint the picture as though it looks perfect yet its almost unanimous even here. that they cars drop like a rock in value and become dated faster than an iPhone . The new Taycan didn't just beat Tesla . It destroyed the outgoing model . Look at a 2015 launch year Macan and even though its dated the shift its not dramatic .

Those ranges are also claimed under "ideal" driving . A heat wave , cold snap or any other hurdle changes it . Porsche never built an EV car because they wanted to . They built it because legislatively in Europe they had too . The best cars Porsche ever built were the ones they wanted to . Even using your premises of pets, groceries and the shopping mall any buyer now also embraces a new relationship .. a charger at his house and a base price almost double what the original was 10 years go .

Porsche knows this ., They launched the car in Singapore because that is their market .

You think even skeptic hates the EV and thats not true . What infuriates most that ICE Macan will stagnate with the intent to be abolished. The CHOICE taken away . I am not anti EV . I favor choice.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-12-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:55 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

weight is irrelevant when the top selling vehicles in North America are 4800 lbs (or more) pick up trucks and various large SUV's…next topic?
Macan is a COMPACT SUV . It was originally a "sport compact " SUV . In Porsches own words ....
Old 02-12-2024, 02:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I said no one has driven the Macan EV . You also paint the picture as though it looks perfect yet its almost unanimous even here. that they cars drop like a rock in value and become dated faster than an iPhone . The new Taycan didn't just beat Tesla . It destroyed the outgoing model . Look at a 2015 launch year Macan and even though its dated the shift its not dramatic .

Those ranges are also claimed under "ideal" driving . A heat wave , cold snap or any other hurdle changes it . Porsche never built an EV car because they wanted to . They built it because legislatively in Europe they had too . The best cars Porsche ever built were the ones they wanted to . Even using your premises of pets, groceries and the shopping mall any buyer now also embraces a new relationship .. a charger at his house and a base price almost double what the original was 10 years go .

Porsche knows this ., They launched the car in Singapore because that is their market .

You think even skeptic hates the EV and thats not true . What infuriates most that ICE Macan will stagnate with the intent to be abolished. The CHOICE taken away . I am not anti EV . I favor choice.
you're all over the map

you started with weight and we said we don't care

then you pivot

used car values are all over the map - depreciate is a fact of life in all vehicles except special rare cars

what do you want form this thread?

you said weight was the elephant in the room - and we said we don't care and frankly it does't matter

what is your goal?

get us to not buy Macan EV's?

I know which one I prefer to drive to the mall and it's not the ICE vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

You could click "ignore" rather than dismiss a valid point. . Gasoline has 100 times the energy of LiPo batteries and its cheaper !! Until these two things change the use case for electric cars won't be widespread . There needs to be a network to support them and no one is building anything meaningful to accomplish that. Instead companies like Porsche will reduce the drag coefficients and place select tires aimed at touting "more range" because with the added weight its like moving a heavy brick through air .

None if us have driven the car . None of us have spent a dime . Yet you want to ditch any counter point that doesnt suit your narrative .

Apparently you (specifically ) dont want a discussion unless it a cheerleading section eagerly awaiting and excited to drop 130K without ANY thought or skepticism .,
Your "valid point" is known to everyone. it's not an elephant in the room; that implies something that everyone is pretending isn't there. Ask any auto company what the number one thing they are trying to solve on EV's and it's lighter batteries with more range. I mean, it just is. There is no solution as of yet. Yet, here we are. It's not like they aren't TRYING to come up with solutions. It just is a limitation of the platform.

Mass market EV's are, at this point, what dozen years old? Yeah, there were ones before the Model S, but really, REALLY mass market. So, where was the automobile market in the 1910-1920 range? Oh yeah, full of issues and compromises.

Hey, guys, there's this BURNING issue with ICE cars. Did you know in 2024, more than 100 years after ICE became mass transport, we STILL can't build an engine that is more than 50% efficient and doesn't waste all that extra energy as heat? That we have to greatly compromise aerodynamics and waste power fitting huge radiators to literally turn 50% of the energy we use into heat and just dump it into the atmosphere? Isn't that dumb? Why are we will building ICE cars?

Does your point have merit? Sure. But it's not a novel point, it's not known, and certainly it's not something that any of us WANT to be the case. Would we prefer EV's to be lighter? Of course. Do we understand that at this time, little can be done about that? Yes, also this.

As per the weight table above, there are good EV's for weight design (Tesla) and there are bad ones (Hummer). Some manufacturers are solving range by equipping cars with giant batteries and only getting 1.5-2 miles / kWh. That's lazy. Go after those guys. The Macan? It's reasonably efficient. Watch the range test Video.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-12-2024 at 03:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (02-12-2024), michaelp (02-12-2024), Zhao (02-13-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

it has been driven by other's

320+ miles at 70 mph in fall weather conditions…results of the drive (which are impressive) is at 32:00 in the video feed

so we do have data - it's really really impressive for range…

I think we will experience more than 350 miles range in spring/summer conditions…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-12-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

So about the same weight as a Model Y (or about 4400 lbs, give or take), but with better range? But also more expensive than a Model Y.

Got it.
daveo4porsche (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:06 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

That is how much a Macan Turbo weighs . In contrast a current GTS weighs 4400 pounds . Macan T is 4151 pounds .

It doesn't matter that Porsche tried to redistribute the weight . There is no way to hide it !!

Every journalist review talks about "3.1 seconds " and " more range" on this "all new and exciting" Macan .
Heck , its "even faster than a Gt3"
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/01/20...han-a-911-gt3/

No 1/4 mile time found BTW .

There. are threads here but not one of them is discussing the elephant in the room .
summary response:

so what?
Old 02-12-2024, 03:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelp
We should really compare to other EVs. Doesn't make sense to compare to ICE cars, because you know.. batteries:
  • Tesla Model S: Weight - 4,883 lbs (2,214 kg), Range - 348-520 miles (560-837 km)
  • Tesla Model 3: Weight - 3,552 lbs (1,611 kg), Range - 263-353 miles (423-568 km)
  • Tesla Model X: Weight - 5,421 lbs (2,459 kg), Range - 305-371 miles (491-597 km)
  • Tesla Model Y: Weight - 4,416 lbs (2,003 kg), Range - 244-326 miles (393-525 km)
  • Chevrolet Bolt EV: Weight - 3,563 lbs (1,615 kg), Range - 259 miles (417 km)
  • Nissan Leaf: Weight - 3,433 lbs (1,558 kg), Range - 150-226 miles (241-363 km)
  • Audi e-tron: Weight - 5,754 lbs (2,610 kg), Range - 218-222 miles (351-357 km)
  • Porsche Taycan: Weight - 4,960 lbs (2,250 kg), Range - 200-227 miles (322-365 km)
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E: Weight - 4,394 lbs (1,995 kg), Range - 211-305 miles (340-491 km)
  • BMW i3: Weight - 2,961 lbs (1,344 kg), Range - 153-200 miles (246-322 km)
(note the Model S range numbers seem inflated)
Be careful with these numbers. That Model 3 must be a RWD? Because my AWD Performance weighed just over 4,000 lbs.

Fat E-Tron as Bjorn Nyland called it is still a huge porker. Terrible.

Ford Mach E? Again, that's a small battery RWD. A large Battery AWD GT is over 4,950 lbs.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Tech_Specs.pdf

The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
michaelp (02-12-2024), MXA121 (03-03-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:11 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
ICE engines are also 10x less efficient than EV motors, so most of that extra energy is pissed away heating the neighborhood. Literally. As for the network and electrical grid, it’s the same amount of energy as AC. Phoenix is habitable at all because we’ve already done this before. It’s really wild watching people,with political grudges claim things AMERICA HAS ALREADY DONE BEFORE are impossible. Such ignorance. Pathetic.

and the market has spoken. Customers don’t give a **** about weight. Trucks, SUVs, even sports cars are heavier and heavier. Seen a modern BMW or Mercedes lately ? Even the 911 TTS is over 3600#.
Not when you factor in electricity generation and transmission. EV's are ~65-85% efficient real world vs. 25-40% for ICE motors only. But when you factor in the electricity generation and transmission efficiency and losses it's a wash energy wise.

Now factor in energy loss for battery mining and production (~2,675 gallons of diesel per BEV battery...LOL) as well as finite material resource utilization and EV's become asinine. You can produce 90 hybrid vehicles with equivalent precious metal/material utilization for every BEV......90.

EV's will go down as the worst strategic decision in modern human history. They're absolutely asinine economically and technically. Which is why manufacturers are shunning EV's (losing billions) and moving to hybrids.
yrralis1 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:16 PM
hitmonlee
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Please go to every EV forum out there and post a new thread titled "The [INSERT EV MODEL NAME] is so heavy!" Tell people you're making "a valid point" and it's "the elephant in the room" that nobody discusses.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
daveo4porsche (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Airbag997
But when you factor in the electricity generation and transmission efficiency and losses it's a wash energy wise.
Source? Because......no.

Most of your points above are easily debunked. Here's a quick video, with links in the description.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-12-2024 at 03:22 PM.
AlexCeres (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:20 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

you're all over the map

you started with weight and we said we don't care

then you pivot

used car values are all over the map - depreciate is a fact of life in all vehicles except special rare cars

what do you want form this thread?

you said weight was the elephant in the room - and we said we don't care and frankly it does't matter

what is your goal?

get us to not buy Macan EV's?

I know which one I prefer to drive to the mall and it's not the ICE vehicle.
Speak for yourself rather than use the "we" term . It was you who gave the pushback . "water is wet.. yada yada" .

Sadly some might have discussed the weight but instead it became a flame war on EV . Thats not why I asked .
I was more intrigued why anyone would buy a first year of a change this huge to the Macan and the weight seemed benign enough to ask as a standout feature .
Of course it went off topic .

Whats even more odd is that someone else said "you are constantly complaining about EV " . I only had written one post .

I guess what you want is a homogenized section . Fair enough .

In other other sections we dont always agree on out favorite variant or even our deal breaker options. However , at the end of they day we are all Porsche guys .
Thanks for the welcome . I clarified why the EV thing is so different.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:24 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hitmonlee
Please go to every EV forum out there and post a new thread titled "The [INSERT EV MODEL NAME] is so heavy!" Tell people you're making "a valid point" and it's "the elephant in the room" that nobody discusses.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
I have owned 6 Macan's . I have no reason to ask a forum of an EV car that isn't on my radar but the Macan has been a part of my life for a decade .

Also Porsches history came out of racing . They know weight , Its a valid topic .

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-12-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:31 PM
stanwyk
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I’ve seen the posts on the other forum where you can’t say as much as “I want to buy a Macan 4” without being told we are responsible for murdering the ICE Macan.
Needsdecaf (02-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: 5393 lbs (2446 kg)