Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Allocation Availability

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 04:02 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmonlee
I find it interesting that on one hand we have many people complaining about how quickly Taycan is depreciating and how buying a new 1st-gen EV is the worst financial decision they've ever made.

Then based on this thread people are rushing to buy another 1st-gen EV (albeit not the 1st ever EV from Porsche).

Maybe just two different groups of people I guess.
Cars depreciate. They are not investments. Sedans depreciate a lot. Porsche was super up front about the residual if you asked about the lease terms.

Worst financial decision ? Lolz. No. Hysterical. If you bought the car to use it long term, you’ll get your money’s worth. But if they thought they’d be trading out every 2 years and didn’t use a lease for that, then, sure, it’ll leave a mark.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Elucidus (02-12-2024), ToasterThief (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 06:02 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

I ordered a Macan Turbo and they sent me the build sheet the next day. The sheet shows order type as "KF - Customer Vehicle" and "V200 delivery date determined" No deposit and the brand ambassador told me eta is July. I made a few changes and waiting for an updated build sheet.
This is my 2nd car from this dealer. I don't think they want me to tell anyone the price or which dealer i'm getting mine from. I hope it's for MSRP, as they didn't mention ADM nor does the build sheet. I've read in other threads where an ADM pops up after the car arrives.. really hope not because I checked every option box possible.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 02-07-2024 at 06:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
BabyNSX (02-07-2024), RList911 (04-20-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 06:15 PM
stanwyk
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
I ordered a Macan Turbo and they sent me the build sheet the next day. The sheet shows order type as "KF - Customer Vehicle" and "V200 delivery date determined" No deposit and the brand ambassador told me eta is July. I made a few changes and waiting for an updated build sheet.
This is my 2nd car from this dealer. I don't think they want me to tell anyone the price or which dealer i'm getting mine from. I hope it's for MSRP, as they didn't mention ADM nor does the build sheet. I've read in other threads where an ADM pops up after the car arrives.. really hope not because I checked every option box possible.
I’m in a similar situation. Dealership did not mention ADM and I wasn’t charged ADM from this dealership on my last purchase during the height of the craziness.

Let us know if you get the TYD email. It doesn’t seem to be working.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 06:37 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Cars depreciate. They are not investments. Sedans depreciate a lot. Porsche was super up front about the residual if you asked about the lease terms.

Worst financial decision ? Lolz. No. Hysterical. If you bought the car to use it long term, you’ll get your money’s worth. But if they thought they’d be trading out every 2 years and didn’t use a lease for that, then, sure, it’ll leave a mark.
I'm similarly confused by people being shocked by daily driver EVs depreciating. The last 3-4 years have been dumb. Used cars should depreciate.
The following 3 users liked this post by ToasterThief:
AlexCeres (02-07-2024), BabyNSX (02-08-2024), usctrojanGT3 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 07:06 PM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I mostly agree with you except that a lease is more often worse than financing. The lease writer designs the lease with depreciation of the vehicle in mind. Sometimes they get it wrong and depending on the mistake you can win or lose when picking up on the residual - but on average, the lessee loses. They just enable people to get smaller monthly payments than a comparable finance plan.

I believe there are some tax games you can play with leases, but I'm speaking more from the perspective of a vehicle leased for personal use.

I agree with you 100% on using the car longer term. These cars are on the upwards part of the hockey stick curve for value. You are paying more than you "get", but you are getting a fair but of "stuff" for that. A Blazer EV is a better "value" and has much less room to drop its value. If depreciation bothers a prospective owner so much, buying a luxury SUV or sedan, especially an electric one, will be a quick lesson in anxiety and regret.

Go into this knowing that it will depreciate, drain every ounce of happiness that you can from the decision and don't worry about the value. I have nothing but fond memories of every Porsche I've owned. The ones I sold, I sold at a loss - yet I've come back to the brand with zero regrets. I can't say the same for other makes.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:00 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by GMPNW
Funny, I was on the other site just this afternoon, and wondering idly if there was any point in asking to have my account deleted, rather than just no longer using it. In lieu of useful analysis of the pros and cons of EVs as they exist today, we get ideology: rants about government intrusion on supposed personal freedoms. On the positive side, Kyle with Out of Specs Reviews is a fount of useful knowledge.

I drive a 2019 Macan which I love and which is still in like-new condition, but I'm about 80% certain that I'll order an EV Turbo soon. As Kyle points out, you need the Turbo to get the amazing acceleration (granted that no one actually needs that kind of acceleration), but Porsche has also packaged the Turbo with almost every feature I would want as standard, which the 4 does not. In that sense, it's actually a good deal, relative to the 4.

If the first EVs do get held in port, it might be awaiting EPA certification. That happened with my ICE Macan. Just a guess.
EPA hold? It doesn’t have an engine. It’s electric.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:15 PM
stanwyk
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
EPA hold? It doesn’t have an engine. It’s electric.
EVs must still be certified and carry EPA ratings under the Clean Air Act in the United States.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:04 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by stanwyk
EVs must still be certified and carry EPA ratings under the Clean Air Act in the United States.
Im sorry, that’s ridiculous. The only thing an EV has in common with a vehicle that burns gas (and affects the environment) is that the both have 4 wheels.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:06 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Cars depreciate. They are not investments. Sedans depreciate a lot.
I dont know but I generally don't lose money on owning cars. I often end up making money. Certain cars make sense to buy new, some make sense to buy slightly used, or off warranty. There are specific times to sell them too when its smart. There are times of the year to buy and times of the year to sell.

For example, buy a GT car new, always buy a lexus new and make sure it's a hybrid. Never buy a BMW new, but about 3 years old used to seem like a sweet spot. Do not buy bloated optioned vehicles new, but buy them used. Sports cars buy in fall, sell in spring. If you're going to buy a 'classic' car buy it when it's 15-20 years old, as it will likely start getting hard to find good ones and the price will start increasing sharply at the 25ish year mark. Never buy a new car right when it comes out unless it's in high demand and you're selling it very quickly.

There are way better investments than cars, but you don't need to take a bath on every car you own. I juggle about 300k in cars and the last one I lost money on was in 2019ish. I've bought over 10 cars since then and sold about as many. Sometimes I buy cars just because they're a good deal without even really wanting it, and sometimes I end up liking those a lot.

I only had interest in the Macan EV until I found out the price. I personally think it's a rip off for what you get, but I figure in a year or 2, when these things are piling up on the lot and they're giving huge discounts, it might make sense at that time to get a new one lightly optioned. Or perhaps a highly optioned used one since options don't really add value on the used market. I know right now my Porsche dealer has a big sign up saying 30g+ off taycans so it's pretty much guaranteed these things are going to start ending up rotting on lots after the initial hype dies down.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-13-2024 at 10:09 PM.
tonie90 (04-05-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:18 PM
GMPNW
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Im sorry, that’s ridiculous. The only thing an EV has in common with a vehicle that burns gas (and affects the environment) is that the both have 4 wheels.
I believe that is to provide a MPGe value, for comparison shopping.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:00 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I dont know but I generally don't lose money on owning cars. I often end up making money. Certain cars make sense to buy new, some make sense to buy slightly used, or off warranty. There are specific times to sell them too when its smart. There are times of the year to buy and times of the year to sell.

For example, buy a GT car new, always buy a lexus new and make sure it's a hybrid. Never buy a BMW new, but about 3 years old used to seem like a sweet spot. Do not buy bloated optioned vehicles new, but buy them used. Sports cars buy in fall, sell in spring. If you're going to buy a 'classic' car buy it when it's 15-20 years old, as it will likely start getting hard to find good ones and the price will start increasing sharply at the 25ish year mark. Never buy a new car right when it comes out unless it's in high demand and you're selling it very quickly.

There are way better investments than cars, but you don't need to take a bath on every car you own. I juggle about 300k in cars and the last one I lost money on was in 2019ish. I've bought over 10 cars since then and sold about as many. Sometimes I buy cars just because they're a good deal without even really wanting it, and sometimes I end up liking those a lot.

I only had interest in the Macan EV until I found out the price. I personally think it's a rip off for what you get, but I figure in a year or 2, when these things are piling up on the lot and they're giving huge discounts, it might make sense at that time to get a new one lightly optioned. Or perhaps a highly optioned used one since options don't really add value on the used market. I know right now my Porsche dealer has a big sign up saying 30g+ off taycans so it's pretty much guaranteed these things are going to start ending up rotting on lots after the initial hype dies down.
that’s just so much annoying work and risk for so little return. You didn’t even account for taxes, wear items, insurance, and maintenance. Or you could just put the same amount of money into bonds and make $10K a year compounding without any effort at all. Or stocks.
ToasterThief (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 04:28 AM
Zhao
Drifting

It's not risky to me at all, and insurance doesn't factor in as either way you're paying it if you own a car. Everything else is factored in. There isn't really any maintenance either when you move on quickly, and not much risk when you know what you're looking at. We dont pay tax on private sale cars where I am, and I am still factoring tax on new cars in. I mean, i bought my tesla last year for $48600 after tax, it has 8000km on it now, and the cheapest one in my province under 30000km is 49993 + dealer bs and tax. Odds are good I can sell mine for not much less than the cheapest remotely comparable one so even with an EV I'm doing ok, and that's not factoring in business tax incentives for owning an EV. My wife drove her lexus for 5 years that I bought new. Factoring on what we paid for it after tax vs what we got for it we made 5g on it + i sold the factory wheels and tires/extra stuff I had for it I kept for 1500 which offset the service for that period. One of my sports cars has gone up about 5x what I paid for it since I bought it about 10 years ago. My GT4 is still worth more than I paid for it.

You can't drive a bond either, but I am already pretty diversified with investments. It takes very little effort for me to guess right on with cars on what's a good buy and not, so why not? I've owned way over 100 cars, mostly sports cars, with no real financial burden at all from doing so. If I wasn't being smart with my purchases that would have resulted in a financial bloodbath.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:00 PM
hitmonlee
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I don’t get the appeal either. Way over 100 cars? You might as well become a full time used car dealer at that point.
The following 2 users liked this post by hitmonlee:
AlexCeres (02-15-2024), ToasterThief (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 11:22 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I guess this is a macan thread where it seems weird some people get enjoyment out of owning different cars.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:26 AM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I guess this is a macan thread where it seems weird some people get enjoyment out of owning different cars.
I say kudos to you. It sounds like a fair bit of work, but you find enjoyment in it. I'm glad you've found success.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Allocation Availability