Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Is InnoDrive worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 10:44 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

PID could be made useful if they added adjustability for over the speed limit, I don't use it to avoid annoying other drivers.
Programming different braking curves for each of its drive modes, slow for normal, faster for sport, would make it less dangerous.
ALK acts in a moderately drunken manner, it would only be useful to me if I was more, not that I'm advocating that.
ACC is a must have.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:16 PM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GDF
That is too bad they are morally opposed to Regen. I also helps with much longer brake longetivity, which is what they probably morally oppose. More money for their maintenance.

I will probably pass on the Macan, as with no one pedal driving not a true EV. Too bad, as I really like the looks of it.
Porsche did a damn fine job refining the brake pedal feel in the Taycan to allow blended braking, with low tip in having full regen and proportionally bringing in the friction brakes as you dive deeper into the travel. It feels great, works well and provides regen. One-pedal driving is not a prerequisite for regenerative braking.

They design their cars to have some of the intuitive driver inputs on the market, and for now most drivers are driving with at least two pedals. Some of us even deal with three from time to time.

Originally Posted by MingusDew
iirc when we bought our Taycan the Innodrive was part of a tech package that came with ALK/ACC. We wanted ALK/ACC but if you bought those separately it was basically the same price as the package, so we ended up just getting the package with Innodrive. I agree with all the statements about Innodrive and never use it. ALK+ACC works great.
Yep, I recall speccing it that way when I was planning to order a 2022 Cayenne E-Hybrid, but since then the configurator has changed so that ALK only comes with PID. For that '22 order, I ended up speccing with PID as well since like you said, the price difference was very small, a few hundred dollars, not to get PID. (I suppose that's how they get you? )
Old 02-05-2024, 12:49 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

The one pedal topic is interesting in so much as it sort of illustrates the EV mentality vs. the Porsche customer mentality. I love Porsche for the blend of reliability/appropriate level of luxury/performance but I also love EV. I understand that there will be compromises made to blend the two. If Porsche needs to forego true one pedal driving (which my Teslas didn't have either) I'm okay with that if it results in a more dynamic driver experience than, for example, my Kia EV6 which is sort of the quintessential EV appliance. And of course has full one pedal functionality.

I'm in on the Macan. Deposit down. I want to see some hands on reviews that speak to the handling, feel, etc. And I need to see the delivery date pulled back in to July. If it holds at September, I'll push my allocation to '25.

Question: when do we think the press will get there hands on an early car such that they can review it for more than just range?
RList911 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by GDF
That is too bad they are morally opposed to Regen. I also helps with much longer brake longetivity, which is what they probably morally oppose. More money for their maintenance.

I will probably pass on the Macan, as with no one pedal driving not a true EV. Too bad, as I really like the looks of it.
they are _NOT_ opposed to Regen - they are opposed to regen controlled by the accelerator - the _BRAKE_ pedal is how you invoke regen and they have software the maximizes regen every time you touch the brake pedal…and then blends in the friction brakes when neccessary

Porsche believes very strongly that the vehicle should be able to "coast" - which is what happens in an ICE vehicle with the driver is not touching either the accelerator or brake pedal - coasting is very difficult/impossible with one pedal driving since the amount of pedal pressure for coasting is constantly changing

coasting is also better for on track driving and allows for left foot braking with precise throttle control for weight transfer management - something again very very difficult/impossible to do with one pedal driving…

Porsche is all in on Regeneration
Porsche is morally opposed to one-pedal driving (medium to heavy braking) by simply releasing the accelerator and not touching the brake pedal.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Jeff Whitten (02-09-2024), TC Cruising (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 04:25 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks all above, especially daveo4 for his experienced insights on InnoDrive. I have watched so many YT videos that too say the same thing, that it is flawed. My wondering however is whether for the Macan, for Porsche is smart, reads and watches stuff we do too, whether Innorive has been improved for the brand new Macan EV. So for $960 instead of much higher prices for other Taycan and most other Porsches, I am at least considering InnoDrive for my Macan EV.

But as I am not getting a 2025 but a later model year Macan EV, I will get to read your reviews to see whether Porsche has improved it for the MacanEV.
daveo4porsche (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 08:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by GDF

It does not change brake longevity at all. You get a ton of regen - it's just invoked by brake pedal.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
kgamaggio (02-18-2024), Mike981S (02-17-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:04 PM
Turbo18
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It does not change brake longevity at all. You get a ton of regen - it's just invoked by brake pedal.
Interesting & good to know. Since this will be my first EV and I haven't tried 1 pedal regen, I'm sure I'll be happy with what Porsche provides.

Btw, reading this conversation reminds me of Something About Mary where the hitchhiker says he could improve 8 minute abs tremendously with ...7 minute abs. Then Stiller's character suggests 6, and the hitchhiker snaps, saying that you can't possibly get a workout just 6 minutes.
Jeff Whitten (02-11-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:01 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Why InnoDrive is not loved in quite a few of its earlier models, hopefully Porsche has been listening and learning — and with the Macan and the Taycan they have improved its lane following capabilities.
RList911 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 01:01 AM
RList911
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesn’t have to be either / or, BMW offers both (b mode for one pedal and D for reg)

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
they are _NOT_ opposed to Regen - they are opposed to regen controlled by the accelerator - the _BRAKE_ pedal is how you invoke regen and they have software the maximizes regen every time you touch the brake pedal…and then blends in the friction brakes when neccessary

Porsche believes very strongly that the vehicle should be able to "coast" - which is what happens in an ICE vehicle with the driver is not touching either the accelerator or brake pedal - coasting is very difficult/impossible with one pedal driving since the amount of pedal pressure for coasting is constantly changing

coasting is also better for on track driving and allows for left foot braking with precise throttle control for weight transfer management - something again very very difficult/impossible to do with one pedal driving…

Porsche is all in on Regeneration
Porsche is morally opposed to one-pedal driving (medium to heavy braking) by simply releasing the accelerator and not touching the brake pedal.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:21 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

As an original skeptic of one pedal braking, just a couple of months into our owning a iX M60, we love it. So easy to have it or not in the BMW system, e.g.. total, simple, quick customer full choice every time your leave home or easy to change while underway too. BMW’s system, has four different regeneration modes — the last of which is one pedal.

I join so many others in asking Porsche to bring it in as no later than a 2026 model option. As many have pointed out, it would be so easy to implement.

Last edited by TC Cruising; 02-18-2024 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:48 AM
Dgkli
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche is morally opposed to a B mode option, but is OK with ACC and Innodrive? I don't get that. Probably could change their minds with a software update though.

My wife now has a Volvo PHEV and it's simple to shift in and out of B mode. Plus even in B mode you can choose whether it creeps or comes to a full stop. Simple and controllable. I see no downside at all. Porsche could implement that with the drive mode controller.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dgkli:
JonoNZ (02-18-2024), TC Cruising (02-18-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:38 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by RList911
it doesn’t have to be either / or, BMW offers both (b mode for one pedal and D for reg)
I agree - but in conversations with various germans during euro-delivery of non-EV Porsche's - there is a lot of "resistance" among people @ Porsche who make these decisions - I agree it can be done , I agree it should be done, I agree it should be optional - I'm told by people that "know" it's not coming any time soon if ever unless there is some change of heart/mind in key engineering leadership positions.

you don't have to convince me - I'm nobody - but somebody at Porsche doesn't care to make this happen any time soon and them's the facts.
TC Cruising (03-04-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 02:04 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone know the cost of the connect package? What will be limited after the inclusive period is over? $960 wasted option?

I just noticed this disclaimer for the Innodrive option:

Notes: All described functions are subject to system limits and require continuous monitoring by the driver. In order to continue using the full range of Porsche InnoDrive functions, a chargeable renewal or separate map updates are required after the inclusive period of the Connect package has expired (further information on the inclusive period of the Connect package for your vehicle can be found at (https://connect-store.porsche.com).

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 03-08-2024 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:09 PM
fabric
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
it's simple with porsche - there is no adjustment - there is only very very slight regen if you turn on "auto" regen and a vehicle in front of you is slower than you - in which case the Taycan will "slow" slightly to match the speed of the vehicle in front of you if you are off the accelerator - but there is _NOTHING_ approaching the one-pedal driving experience of any other EV - Porsche is morally opposed to such a feature

the primary method of invoking regen on a Taycan is via the brake pedal - if you are off the accelerator and not on the brake - then the vehicle will coast…if you want one pedal regen you'll need to purchase a vehicle from another vendor cause Porsche is not your vendor and you are not their customer.
Porsche is making a poor decision here. Since they are already using brake-by-wire to use the EV motor for regeneration, it's simply coding to make that work with one pedal. The fact that they don't even give you the choice is very telling.

I would love to get the new Macan. I may even go test drive one and when I find out there's no way to switch to one-pedal driving, tell them it's a deal breaker.

Dumb.
daveo4porsche (05-30-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 02:23 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

This video might help to decide, InnoDrive or no InnoDrive...

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Is InnoDrive worth it?