Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Real world range

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 02:48 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ST BERNARD
In addition how many times, per year, does the average driver go 300 miles in a day? If you asked 100 people maybe 10 would drive 300 miles in a day more than 3x a year. Yes people will respond I drive 400 miles etc 6x a year but I’m talking about the average Porsche owner.
I agree it's important to know your driving habits and make an EV decision (any EV model) based on that. I drive around 50 kms (30 miles) max a day in the city. So, even if the Macan EV loses 50% of its rated range during our cold winter months (-25C / -13F) , it will still make 200+ kms (120 miles). That means I'm charging at home every 2 or 3 nights. Our cabin is 100kms (60 miles) away. We have 100 amp service in the garage so installing a quick charger is not a problem so even if I leave the city with a 50% SOC battery, I can still make it out there, charge and come back at the end of the weekend.

If I regularly drove 250 miles a day, I don't think it would work for me. But I don't so as soon as I get to test drive one, if I'm happy with the drive, we'll add a Macan EV to our family. I thought about Taycan but, the interior is too small, too hard to get in and out of (especially the back seat) and too expensive for the distance you can drive. I predict the Macan EV will sell very well.

Last edited by kayjh; 02-01-2024 at 02:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ST BERNARD (02-01-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 09:55 AM
GDF
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If a person is routinely making 250+ miles trips daily (or even every other day) then an EV -- even a LR Tesla -- is probably not the answer for that person. At least not with the current state of battery tach and charging infrastructure.
FYI - Have used my 2021 Tesla Model S LR for 20 months now on long trips and it has been flawless. Infrastructure for Tesla is awesome everywhere I have been, including Ontario, Canada. If I had to rely on CCS, very doubtful I would own an EV, although would be extremely hard to go back to an ICE vehicle. Have put 48,000 miles on in 20 months, which I don’t like to brag about. 🤣

Last edited by GDF; 02-02-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:04 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by GDF
FYI - Have used my 2021 Tesla Model S LR for 20 months now on long trips and it has been flawless. Infrastructure for Tesla is awesome everywhere I have been, including Ontario, Canada. If I had to rely on CCS, very doubtful I would own an EV, although would be extremely hard to go back to an ICE vehicle. Have put 48,000 miles on in 20 months, which I don’t like to brag about. 🤣
I've enjoyed all my electric cars for road trips. Tesla was especially great because of SC and autopilot.

EV isn't for everyone. But for some folks, it fits really well.

At this point I can't see owning a gas powered car. I'll accept the costs, occasional inconveniences , etc. to get all the benefits (which are extensive).
The following 3 users liked this post by tstafford:
daveo4porsche (02-02-2024), Mase408 (02-02-2024), TC Cruising (02-08-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 12:31 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
Teslas are the most popular cars in Norway and the Model Y is the most sold car in the world. Just saying that range should not even be a question why to buy or not the Macan EV. If the software is stable it looks like a really great car.
Like I wrote, depends where you live. Temps in Norway are typically around freezing or slightly below (inland). Nothing like the temps people on the northern plains or on the central Canadian plains live with.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:15 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
Teslas are the most popular cars in Norway and the Model Y is the most sold car in the world. Just saying that range should not even be a question why to buy or not the Macan EV. If the software is stable it looks like a really great car.
Most of the population in Norway lives around oslo or south of it. I double checked and oslo has only hit -20 once between 2010 and 2020 which is crazy warm as far as I am concerned. Even Tromso in the north is very warm in winter being on the coast. Very few people live in interior where the temps are actually cold.

Pretty much anywhere North Central USA or Canada gets far colder than the majority of people in norway experience, and we also don't live in a postage stamp sized country. Range may not be a factor for you if you live in a costal region or somewhere consistently warm, but it's a major factor for most people living in cold central regions in North America.

I wouldn't recommend anyone around me buy a EV car as their only vehicle. At -40 power consumption tripled for me making it suicidal to leave the city in as it potentially doesn't have the range to connect the dots on teh supercharger networks. Even at -20 to -25 I had to do a round trip to another city about 700km in total. The tesla app said I'd hit each supercharger at about 15%, so pretty low margin for error there. I'd also need to hit 5 superchargers. I took my ICE bmw and did the trip in a single tank of gas which worked out cheaper than what the EV would have cost me for 5 supercharger stops. It also eliminates the ability to leave the city and come back unless you're heading to a spot with a supercharger.

EV's are are better for winter in the cities if you have a heated garage and don't care about power consumption but I wouldn't use them for trips unless the conditions are ideal and they are only for main route point A to B cars. Range is a big problem and something everyone should consider except those who have multiple cars or never leave their coastal city. As far as ICE cars go for trips in winter, once they hit operating temp their range is quite good, whereas the EV doesn't have that advantage and is bleeding heat it can't easily regain as soon as it leaves a garage. Far far worse if it's left outside.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Real world range