Notices
Macan EV Discuss the 2024 Porsche Macan EV
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Will Macan EV ship with NACS plug in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:19 PM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Will Macan EV ship with NACS plug in the US?

Back in December Porsche announced that they will support the NACS (Tesla) plug in the US starting in 2025.

Where does this leave the new Macan NV and the upcoming Taycan refresh for 2024?

It seems quite a bit odd to release a new cars for the US market, knowing that they will change the charging ports in 2025, and as a buyer you a buying a car that will need adopters or modifications to charge in the US from 2025 and beyond. The US is switching to NACS while Europe is all on on CSS2

Curious what this group thinks?

The following users liked this post:
RList911 (02-18-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 10:26 AM
Eco Mode
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by auchenberg
Back in December Porsche announced that they will support the NACS (Tesla) plug in the US starting in 2025.

Where does this leave the new Macan NV and the upcoming Taycan refresh for 2024?

It seems quite a bit odd to release a new cars for the US market, knowing that they will change the charging ports in 2025, and as a buyer you a buying a car that will need adopters or modifications to charge in the US from 2025 and beyond. The US is switching to NACS while Europe is all on on CSS2

I'm surprised that the first deliveries in 2024 won't have NACS but given it officially gets it in 2025, why not wait a few months to order once production shifts to 2025 model year as that's what I'm planning if this is indeed the case!
GDF (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 10:51 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco Mode
I'm surprised that the first deliveries in 2024 won't have NACS but given it officially gets it in 2025, why not wait a few months to order once production shifts to 2025 model year as that's what I'm planning if this is indeed the case!
I'm wondering if this is the case as well. They won't wait until the refresh to change ports right?
Old 01-26-2024, 08:04 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

given how often you use fast charging an adapter will be fine - I wouldn't sweat the NACS native port issue - you'll either need an adapter to access Superchargers starting in 2025 or an adpater to access legacy CCS1 faster chargers after the native port starts showing up on new Macan's

having owned EV's for 12+ years I'm unconcerned about having to use an adatper a few times a year.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (02-03-2024), TC Cruising (02-08-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 10:23 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

The dealer told me my order who’d be here in the summer and it would have the NACS port.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:53 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup
The dealer told me my order who’d be here in the summer and it would have the NACS port.
found articles that confirm it will ship with the CCS port. Disappointing. Both the fact and the dealer misleading me.
Eco Mode (01-27-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 12:01 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by auchenberg

2025 seems to be when all the automakers are switching....may have something to do with the licensing for the new ports from Tesla. I would wait, especially if you may have another EV in the future at the same time as it will be a hassle to constantly use an adapter. Also, it is not clear if the Tesla superchargers will allow the use of an adapter, or how many chargers Tesla will install ccs cables at.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:07 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
given how often you use fast charging an adapter will be fine - I wouldn't sweat the NACS native port issue - you'll either need an adapter to access Superchargers starting in 2025 or an adpater to access legacy CCS1 faster chargers after the native port starts showing up on new Macan's

having owned EV's for 12+ years I'm unconcerned about having to use an adatper a few times a year.
I agree (and I've had an EV since '15).

IMO what's important (and great) is that the charge port for the Macan EV is in the same location on the car as all the Teslas. The port is one thing, the length of the Tesla cable (hose) is another. I'm fine with an adapter (all kinds of folks will need it) and knowing the port is properly positioned puts my mind at ease.
The following 3 users liked this post by tstafford:
daveo4porsche (02-01-2024), jsclarke (02-02-2024), usctrojanGT3 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:01 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tpup
found articles that confirm it will ship with the CCS port. Disappointing. Both the fact and the dealer misleading me.
in regards to _ANYTHING_ from the dealer regarding an EV - my EV ownership with legancy ICE dealers is that:
  • they know nothing
  • what they tell you is wrong
  • they will never say "i don't know let me research that"
  • they will simply make crap up…
my Chevy Bolt dealer still sends me reminders for 15% off oil changes for my Chevy Bolt's

legacy ICE dealers + EV + questions = lies and made up crap - just accept it.
GMPNW (02-07-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:04 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malba2366
2025 seems to be when all the automakers are switching....may have something to do with the licensing for the new ports from Tesla. I would wait, especially if you may have another EV in the future at the same time as it will be a hassle to constantly use an adapter. Also, it is not clear if the Tesla superchargers will allow the use of an adapter, or how many chargers Tesla will install ccs cables at.
ummmm it's 100% clear Tesla will allow cars w/Adapters to use superchargers - it's how Ford, Gm and other will provide acceess to existing customers w/CCS1 vehicles - in fact Ford annouced their adapter for existing Ford customers this week will ship for free

there is no question adapters will be allowed at V3/V4 superchargers - it's the only way this whole thing can work - Also Tesla already has "adapters" in general use at any Magicdock enabled supercharger site (42 sites in North America now)…

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...to-eligib.html
Old 02-01-2024, 11:25 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

ummmm it's 100% clear Tesla will allow cars w/Adapters to use superchargers - it's how Ford, Gm and other will provide acceess to existing customers w/CCS1 vehicles - in fact Ford annouced their adapter for existing Ford customers this week will ship for free

there is no question adapters will be allowed at V3/V4 superchargers - it's the only way this whole thing can work - Also Tesla already has "adapters" in general use at any Magicdock enabled supercharger site (42 sites in North America now)…

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...to-eligib.html
Also Lectron has an adapter made for NACS to CCS that handles the Supercharger current. However to use it the car companies need to send out new software for authentication/billing/etc.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:58 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
Also Lectron has an adapter made for NACS to CCS that handles the Supercharger current. However to use it the car companies need to send out new software for authentication/billing/etc.
yes 100% this - the adapter or plug is _NOT_ the issue (it never was) - it's charging session activation/billing/authorization that needs to be worked out and so far there are ZERO details about that from anyone - but there is already a working model - you can activate a charging session _TODAY_ at any North American supercharger site that has MagicDocks installed - and it works in europe at sites Tesla allows non-Tesla to charge at - I've charged my 2020 Taycan at Tesla Supercharger in Scotts Valley, CA several times - pull up - plug in and tap start charging on the Tesla app - works slick…

the issue is _NOT_ the adatper or native NACS port - it's the software integration to support charge session activation and billing - that is still all TBD other than extisting 42 and counting North American sites w/MagicDocks already installed and functional…

now there is a range of this
  • tesla app charging session activation - this is the least amount of work for everyone - cause it's already largely done
  • charging session activation in non-Tesla apps (Ford, GM, porsche, Audi, etc…) - this is more work, but at the end of the day not that much work - and not that different than how I activate an EA session inside my porshce app for my 2020 Taycan
  • plug&charge support - this is more work for everyone and lacks a functional standard (but one is coming) - I highly doubt we'll see this before 2026-2028 - but I coudl be surprised…
my money is on Tesla.app activation and some sprinkling of a vendor app charge session activation (Ford, GM, volvo, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc…)

I'm also betting effectively Tesla has no way to "restrict" which cars charge at their stations once the genie is out of the bottle - and very little will prevent motivated individules with their own Adapter and some basic app knowledge to say "pretend to be a a ford" and Charge their porsche EV with a Lectron Adapter…but we'll see. The CCS1 protocol is honestly not robust enough to transmit enough meta-data about the car to the charging station for Tesla to honestly "know" what kind of car it's talking to - I routinely charge my son's Model Y @ EA for free via my Porsche app and the EA station has no idea it's charging a Tesla…

the activation process and limits is the next hurdle - not the adatper or NACS port on the vehicle - the hardware was _NEVER_ the issue - the lack of motivation by Tesla and others to make this work was the hold up - now that EA is a complete demonstrable failure the other guys have been forced to adapt to Tesla cause they have the only reliable and functional CCS1 network in North America…and that's the reality of this situation - it was never about the plug-shape - it was about network access/authorization and Tesla has everyone coming to them…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-01-2024 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Ksdaoski (02-01-2024), Sajan (02-10-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 12:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I care nothing about having a native port right now, eventually, fine, for now, give me an adapter. FWIW I see adapters in use all the time by Tesla owners (going from CCS to NACS).

I'm sure charge point will sell a new cable for their chargers that allow them to work with NACS. Or maybe they have one now.

daveo4porsche (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:07 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

here is a screen shot of existing and functional Tesla Supercharger sites with Magicdock where you can charge your CCS1 Vehicle _TODAY_

Most/all North America CCS1 EV's can charge here today with no changes required - just an account in the Tesla.app and your vehicle's support for 400V charging …

this app BTW the is very useful for visualizing the existing/future state of the Supercharger network world wide…I for one welcome our Tesla fast charging overlords - because while I have my issues w/Elon they seem able to run a well developed and reliable fast charging network vs. the other guys…https://apps.apple.com/us/app/superc...a/id1056496235

Mase408 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:47 PM
Eco Mode
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

yes 100% this - the adapter or plug is _NOT_ the issue (it never was) - it's charging session activation/billing/authorization that needs to be worked out and so far there are ZERO details about that from anyone - but there is already a working model - you can activate a charging session _TODAY_ at any North American supercharger site that has MagicDocks installed - and it works in europe at sites Tesla allows non-Tesla to charge at - I've charged my 2020 Taycan at Tesla Supercharger in Scotts Valley, CA several times - pull up - plug in and tap start charging on the Tesla app - works slick…

the issue is _NOT_ the adatper or native NACS port - it's the software integration to support charge session activation and billing - that is still all TBD other than extisting 42 and counting North American sites w/MagicDocks already installed and functional…

now there is a range of this
  • tesla app charging session activation - this is the least amount of work for everyone - cause it's already largely done
  • charging session activation in non-Tesla apps (Ford, GM, porsche, Audi, etc…) - this is more work, but at the end of the day not that much work - and not that different than how I activate an EA session inside my porshce app for my 2020 Taycan
  • plug&charge support - this is more work for everyone and lacks a functional standard (but one is coming) - I highly doubt we'll see this before 2026-2028 - but I coudl be surprised…
my money is on Tesla.app activation and some sprinkling of a vendor app charge session activation (Ford, GM, volvo, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc…)

I'm also betting effectively Tesla has no way to "restrict" which cars charge at their stations once the genie is out of the bottle - and very little will prevent motivated individules with their own Adapter and some basic app knowledge to say "pretend to be a a ford" and Charge their porsche EV with a Lectron Adapter…but we'll see. The CCS1 protocol is honestly not robust enough to transmit enough meta-data about the car to the charging station for Tesla to honestly "know" what kind of car it's talking to - I routinely charge my son's Model Y @ EA for free via my Porsche app and the EA station has no idea it's charging a Tesla…

the activation process and limits is the next hurdle - not the adatper or NACS port on the vehicle - the hardware was _NEVER_ the issue - the lack of motivation by Tesla and others to make this work was the hold up - now that EA is a complete demonstrable failure the other guys have been forced to adapt to Tesla cause they have the only reliable and functional CCS1 network in North America…and that's the reality of this situation - it was never about the plug-shape - it was about network access/authorization and Tesla has everyone coming to them…
OMG so even if you wait for native NACS in 2025, it may be essentially "unusable" unless all parties get their act together - ugh, it wouldn't surprise me if NACS compatibility ends up being more trouble than its worth initially (at least the first 18 months or so) because there's nothing worse than limping to a charging station only to discover nothing works. At worst, waiting for NACS should ensure a little better resale value 5 years from now - lol how much that's really worth is another matter.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Will Macan EV ship with NACS plug in the US?