Notices
Macan EV Discuss the 2024 Porsche Macan EV
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Will Macan EV ship with NACS plug in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 02:52 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco Mode
At worst, waiting for NACS should ensure a little better resale value 5 years from now - lol how much that's really worth is another matter.
Resale value?? You must be joking. At the rate technology is advancing, in 5 years all the current EVs may be dinosaurs with new car prices dropping and those new cars offering more features, 50% more range, etc.. You are buying a premium EV these days for the fun of driving it and the cool factor. Forget about what you'll get for it (err ... not get for it) in 5 years, when it will be a few years away from needing a new battery ... gulp!

Last edited by kayjh; 02-01-2024 at 02:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
Apbc2 (02-06-2024), Larson E. Rapp (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 04:06 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

I don't think the NACS vs. CCS should be too concerning to anyone. Frankly if you want the car soon, you want CCS. There's nowhere you can charge on NACS publicly. You'd end up using CCS to NACS adapter. We're all going to using adapters for a while.

It's a lot like lightening, USB-A, USB-C, etc.

FWIW - I have a NACS to CCS adapter for L2 charging and it works fine.
The following users liked this post:
Spyerx (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 06:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

daveo4porsche (02-13-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:19 AM
uter
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The video presenter, Tom Moloughney, is a very credible resource. Interestingly, he's a restaurant owner in NJ (Nauna's) who just got really interested in EVs. He piloted the BMW ActivE and MiniEV before breaking on the the national stage as an authority on the BMW i3.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

Old 02-08-2024, 12:18 PM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
it's not going to be great to need to carry 2 adapters...
1. one for Tesla Destination Chargers (AC), and
2. another for Tesla super chargers (DC).

Tesla uses the top 2 pins of a NACS receptacle for both AC and DC and electronics in the car know if it's getting AC or DC and switches the source appropriately. CCS1 has separate AC and DC inputs.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by jsclarke

Tesla uses the top 2 pins of a NACS receptacle for both AC and DC and electronics in the car know if it's getting AC or DC and switches the source appropriately. CCS1 has separate AC and DC inputs.
just throw them in the frunk - they don't take that much space and you're good to go - this problem is not unique to Porsche - same for any CCS1 vehicle - and you'll need two adapters if you get a NACS vehicle

chalk up the failure to the North American auto makers not taking EV's seriously and designing a sh*t CCS1 connector - they all have membership on the SAE design boards/comitties and they all have influence over EA and other CCS1 charging networks - we are in this position because they didn't take fast charging seriously and Tesla wiped the floor with them…

the adapters are not a problem given how frequently you'll actually use them.
AlexCeres (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 07:17 PM
GDF
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jsclarke

I agree - I just want exactly what Tesla uses. It is so much better and less clunky than those CCS charging plugs.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by GDF
I agree - I just want exactly what Tesla uses. It is so much better and less clunky than those CCS charging plugs.
but you'll still need two adapters so your NACS vehicle can access J-1772 public chargers and CCS1 FastChargers…so either way you're carrying some adapters

ddaily use there is no practical usability difference between J-1772 and NACS for home charing - both plugs are quite usable and easy to deal with. It's the FastDC CCS1 connector that is hideous and awkward, but you're using that much much less than normal home charging.

my $0.02 you're over thinking this topic ("you" being the generic "you" not any specific poster on rennlist)
AlexCeres (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 06:24 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
but you'll still need two adapters so your NACS vehicle can access J-1772 public chargers and CCS1 FastChargers…so either way you're carrying some adapters

ddaily use there is no practical usability difference between J-1772 and NACS for home charing - both plugs are quite usable and easy to deal with. It's the FastDC CCS1 connector that is hideous and awkward, but you're using that much much less than normal home charging.

my $0.02 you're over thinking this topic ("you" being the generic "you" not any specific poster on rennlist)
Agreed.

The real point is being missed in all of this - until Tesla and the car companies (inc. Porsche) update their software none of this matters. Right now if you had a non-Tesla with a NACS port you couldn't charge it on NACS directly anyway. You'd just need the opposite adapter.
daveo4porsche (02-13-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 09:37 AM
GDF
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Agreed.

The real point is being missed in all of this - until Tesla and the car companies (inc. Porsche) update their software none of this matters. Right now if you had a non-Tesla with a NACS port you couldn't charge it on NACS directly anyway. You'd just need the opposite adapter.
But it could matter with 2025 models. Hoping companies update their software in 2025 and this nonsense goes away.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:09 AM
jsclarke
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

So I'll stop arguing about this (after this post)- but even the CCS1 AC charging port, with it's external locking trigger, is just a crapy design. Drop it, and it can break. Cars locking pins get stuck and you can't unplug. Every CCS1 car will be stuck with this for it's entire life.

And this was more Tesla's and US government's fault in my opinion. Tesla resisted releasing NACS to be a public standard, and if I made cars I wouldn't use a competitor's proprietary connector. Of course, it was their right to do so. It was our government's fault (IMHO) to be slow to incentivize companies to adopt a single charging standard. Europe did just this- insisted on a standard (CCS2).

But, I'm not going to wait. It may be a year or 2 even before I could get a NACS Macan. And I don't do waiting very well (-:
The following 2 users liked this post by jsclarke:
daveo4porsche (02-09-2024), RList911 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:43 AM
jsclarke
Instructor

and that’s a wrap in North America folks

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/12/24070654/stellantis-tesla-ev-charging-plus-nacs-adapter

Last edited by jsclarke; 02-13-2024 at 01:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsclarke:
ctdwp (02-14-2024), usctrojanGT3 (02-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Will Macan EV ship with NACS plug in the US?