Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Jobs Wanted - Help Needed (https://rennlist.com/forums/jobs-wanted-help-needed-171/)
-   -   Anyone work in the auto/ auto racing industry? (https://rennlist.com/forums/jobs-wanted-help-needed/849652-anyone-work-in-the-auto-auto-racing-industry.html)

princetonprep17 12-21-2014 05:08 PM

Anyone work in the auto/ auto racing industry?

Does anyone here on the forum (non-engineers preferably) happen to work in the auto (supplier, manufacturer or aftermarket) or auto racing/auto racing team in IMSA GT, Rolex Sports Car Series, etc., that would be willing to talk to me about how you got into the industry? I'm a lawyer (and big time autophile - particularly Porsche's and 60's era American muscle cars) with a substantial business litigation (including automotive sector) background that is looking to make a profession change into the business/front office side of the auto industry. Unfortunately, all of my auto industry contacts are either dealers or auto finance companies, neither of which particularly interest me for the transition. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

XR4Tim 12-24-2014 12:27 PM

I started at the bottom as a detailer when I was 18 and have been in many aspects of the industry since. Feel free to e-mail me with specific questions.

MotoCARR 01-07-2015 11:48 AM

I started in the 12v aftermarket industry as an installer at a variety of car audio shops. Fast forward until post college with a business degree where I was able to get into the product side of things working as a contractor at Continental.(The electronics division of the tire company) I now work for a vehicle fleet management company in the same general "product" side of things.

Being in the unfortunate situation of having to work for four companies in four years(in three industries), one thing I have seen common in all of them.......they all have A LOT of contractors working for them, and a fair amount hire them to permanent positions. It seems that is a new "trend" I have seen myself as well as in conversation with others. I get a feeling it is a strategy to "test drive" or add an additional layer of screening prior to hiring to a permanent position.

If you are comfortable with knowing your time could possibly come to an end with an employer and you not have another opportunity lined up after it, it may be a good way to get "in" or your feet wet with a company more firmly rooted in the industry, thus opening future opportunities.

I know that my one year stint with Continental, considered an electronics manufacturer to OEM car companies, definitely was an influence in getting the position I have even though it nor the company is in the auto electronics part of the industry.

Not sure what part of legal you may be in, but a common position I have seen at the auto-related companies I have experience with is contract review/negotiation, contract admin/enforcement, liability limitations, etc.

MotoCARR 01-07-2015 11:51 AM

Companies that have offices/locations globaly off the top of my head: Continental A.G., Siemens, Bosch, TDK