Jobs Wanted - Help Needed Hire a Rennlist person or help a Rennlist employer

The Route to becoming an Engine Designer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Revvedup917
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Route to becoming an Engine Designer

I am a Mechanical Engineer who came out of uni three years ago, and then managed to gain a variety of expereiences, mostly in the the engine component industry.

I have had the good fortune to implement Preventative maintenance schedules in Diesel Injector plants, draw camshafts and rocker arms on AutoCAD Inventor for old Bugattis, Alvises, one BMW S1000 RR and repair and drive Porsches. And then there's the recent position, where I have had a chance to document the tooling and materials for building an assortment of lighting and control products for Airbus and Boeing.

However all along, what I wanted to do was to design engines. Like make test rigs and try out different injector, camshaft and ignition strategies . To this end, I read a book on engine testing instrumentation and managed to go to a few conferences in London, where researchers from different companies presented their papers on changing the world of engine technology.

Now that I am almost 24, I think it is time for me to start doing, what I like most. That's why I ask the question to any engine designers on this forum, where did you start ?

At which company, and designing what part ?

I don't really have a mentor to guide me through, or anybody who I know in my family or social circles who does this. Hence any advice that you folks can give me regarding this, would be much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

How's it coming along?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Revvedup917
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have moved countries, and am no longer with UTC Aerospace Systems. If you are Indian expat in the UK, that is sometimes the case.

I have been offered an interview as a quality controller at the local Porsche
dealership, but the guy keeps on delaying my interview.

I am still looking for a mentor, but practical development efforts have come to a complete halt.
I might get that 100 cc engine out from a scooter that I used as a teenage roundabout next weekend, and make an engine test stand based on it.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Good for you.

Keep working towards your goals.

Quick Reply: The Route to becoming an Engine Designer