Notices

Importing a 987 to Italy

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 10:46 AM
av8bpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Importing a 987 to Italy

Ciao a tutti. Scriverò in inglese x più facile con questo argomento, ma se devi rispondere in italiano, lo posso leggere.

I have a 2012 Cayman S that I love very much. My wife and I are planning to move to Italy within 2 years and I'm researching the possibility of importing my Porsche with me. We've both lived there before for ~8 years combined, but I was there with the US military, so there were a lot of caveats to vehicle ownership. We will be buying property and living there long term, so I won't be able to leverage the military angle for registration this time.

Has anyone successfully imported their US-market Porsche to Italy? I own the car outright with a clean title. It does have some mild modifications (200-cell headers, IPD plenum, tune), so there may be some compliancy issues, but all are reversible if need be. The timeline seems to be the biggest issue. As I understand it, the car must be registered within 6 months of arrival, or it's virtually a lost cause. What are the typical costs for registration, road tax, and insurance for P-cars (obviously a wide swath)?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Grazie,
Matt
Old 02-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Elina
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have imported many cars before, but due to inflation and the rising and falling value of the dollar, it is possible to import high risk today.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 PM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by av8bpilot
Ciao a tutti. Scriverò in inglese x più facile con questo argomento, ma se devi rispondere in italiano, lo posso leggere.

I have a 2012 Cayman S that I love very much. My wife and I are planning to move to Italy within 2 years and I'm researching the possibility of importing my Porsche with me. We've both lived there before for ~8 years combined, but I was there with the US military, so there were a lot of caveats to vehicle ownership. We will be buying property and living there long term, so I won't be able to leverage the military angle for registration this time.

Has anyone successfully imported their US-market Porsche to Italy? I own the car outright with a clean title. It does have some mild modifications (200-cell headers, IPD plenum, tune), so there may be some compliancy issues, but all are reversible if need be. The timeline seems to be the biggest issue. As I understand it, the car must be registered within 6 months of arrival, or it's virtually a lost cause. What are the typical costs for registration, road tax, and insurance for P-cars (obviously a wide swath)?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Grazie,
Matt
ciao Matt,
I will import my 991.1 in Jan 2022.
I’m in US since 2014 but I’ll be back in the bel paese in about 1 year.
if you own the car for more than 1 year, you should not have any issue.
shipping cost + insurance is about $2500 and registration in Italia is like $500 + bollo annuale.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 AM
av8bpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, the one year clause only applies to Italian citizens. While eligible, I haven't applied for Italian citizenship due to work and can't start that process until after retirement.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by av8bpilot
Unfortunately, the one year clause only applies to Italian citizens. While eligible, I haven't applied for Italian citizenship due to work and can't start that process until after retirement.
oh ok,I did not know that. I bought my 991.1 back in October knowing that one year later we will be back to Italia.
good luck then !

Quick Reply: Importing a 987 to Italy