Notices

car numbers for DE

Old 03-08-2017, 03:13 PM
spo235
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car numbers for DE

Hello all!

I'm new to the DE events, and have one coming up in April. I have a Boxster, and was thinking about getting some magnetic numbers. A few questions for the more seasoned veterans:
1. Are magnetic numbers a good idea? I have read about them coming off
2. Any recommendations on where to get magnetic numbers or vinyl if I go that route?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:19 PM
tstafford
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

If you want something easy to remove and is reusable, I prefer window cling. Check these guys out:

https://www.trackdecals.com/
Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Magnetic numbers can scratch your paint, and potentially come off. Here's what I do: I bought two magnetic numbers to use as a template. Place them on some contact paper in your color choice, trace the number on the contact paper, cut it out, apply to your car. Easy to remove after the weekend. Easy to make new ones for the next DE. Looks professional and inexpensive to boot.

Cheers.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM
sicklyscott
AutoX

I purchased a set of reusable meatballs. Ended up not being reusable. Lots of money in that mistake.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts

I used magnetic numbers for years with no problems before I started racing. They do not scratch paint. Get a 'permanent' number assigned by your PCA region, and have that number made as a meatball (one for each door). Put a 2" piece of painter's tape at leading edge to ensure wind doesn't get underneath and cause it to peel off during a session (but I never had that happen).
Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used magnetic numbers for 14 years with no problems. I always wipe the car off first, then wipe the back of the numbers off and stick them on the car. If you wipe both surfaces off prior to applying, it should minimize the potential for scratching. Now, after you do this you have to put a strip of blue painters tape on the leading edge of the numbers. This prevents the air from getting under the numbers and they stay on fine. When I first started HPDE all clubs pretty much required real numbers. Now I see lots of clubs accepting folks using blue painter tape for their car numbers. I went to a local company that made signs and they also made magnetic numbers and I got them made there. Make sure your doors are magnetic!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
I've used magnetic numbers for 14 years with no problems. I always wipe the car off first, then wipe the back of the numbers off and stick them on the car. If you wipe both surfaces off prior to applying, it should minimize the potential for scratching. Now, after you do this you have to put a strip of blue painters tape on the leading edge of the numbers. This prevents the air from getting under the numbers and they stay on fine. When I first started HPDE all clubs pretty much required real numbers. Now I see lots of clubs accepting folks using blue painter tape for their car numbers. I went to a local company that made signs and they also made magnetic numbers and I got them made there. Make sure your doors are magnetic!
This. Track activity will not improve the paint on your car...anywhere. The surface under a magnetic number is the least of your worries on the track if you are concerned about keeping perfect paint.

A good quote I have heard from a DE instructor..."Nothing you do today will increase the value of your car." LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (12-25-2019)
Old 03-11-2018, 02:31 PM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

You can have most any sign shop make you vinyl decals made super cheep. I just get a combination of a bunch of 5's and 1's.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 PM
TonyVan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

edecals is fast and inexpensive. Been using their magnetic ones for years without scratches or flying off.
https://www.edecals.com

Tony
Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,796 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
If you want something easy to remove and is reusable, I prefer window cling. Check these guys out:

https://www.trackdecals.com/
Can we put the numbers on the rear side window or must it be on the door for DE @ Lime Rock?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Default Car #'s

Originally Posted by spo235
Hello all!

I'm new to the DE events, and have one coming up in April. I have a Boxster, and was thinking about getting some magnetic numbers. A few questions for the more seasoned veterans:
1. Are magnetic numbers a good idea? I have read about them coming off
2. Any recommendations on where to get magnetic numbers or vinyl if I go that route?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.
Like everything else you need to use what works for you.
I've tried magnetic #'s and and as others have said you need to tape down the leading the leading edge and it ca't hurt to tape down the a few sides. I've lost my share of magnetic track #'s.
I've been using the static cling vinyl numbers now for years.
They never come off but they are certainly not reusable.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 AM
ISO100
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
This. Track activity will not improve the paint on your car...anywhere. The surface under a magnetic number is the least of your worries on the track if you are concerned about keeping perfect paint.

A good quote I have heard from a DE instructor..."Nothing you do today will increase the value of your car." LOL.
this quote. +1 IMO.

I bought a roll of white reusable vinyl from AMZN; stays put and easy to remove. Cheap enough to toss after each event.

I print numbers in Photoshop onto white sticker stock from Walmrt that goes thru my inkjet printer, then I stick onto vinyl, trim, apply. (The vinyl I selected will not take ink from inkjet printer...)

Previously I purchased magnetic meatballs to avoid the blue tape, but needed blue tape to keep in place. So they now decorate the garage fridge.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,796 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I bought static cling numbers that stick to the inside of the windows. Reusable. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
PET (09-16-2021)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:06 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Hmmm............thought numbers had to be visible on doors and rear????????????????
Old 08-14-2019, 07:08 PM
ISO100
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Königin
Hmmm............thought numbers had to be visible on doors and rear????????????????
Different regions may have slightly different requirements .... so best to ask DE chair and/or check in pre event materials.

Usually front and both sides of car is a minimum; at times a fourth placement on rear of car as well, depending on region / organizer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car numbers for DE