Notices

1987 Porsche 924S mild hybrid project, no longer the runt of the litter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Gabe Alexander
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Porsche 924S mild hybrid project, no longer the runt of the litter

Hi, I just joined rennlist from New Orleans, Louisiana, to tell you about this 924S I just got from dallas!
It was a lovely drive back home, I'm young so I'm used to all the cars, even the junkers, having cruise control, first thing I want to do is install cruise control, I have the control circuit, actuator, cable, and clutch switch in the mail, I've read that you just need the bolts and its plug n' play but we'll see

there is also a screetch when engine braking
I'm not sure , but I think its the pinion bearing, because its at high speeds regardless of clutch/engine rpm, when the car is dragging against the transmission, but when the transmission pushes the car forward (ie acceleration) it becomes the normal ,quieter, porsche whine

Something I do on the side is EV conversions, fitting in batteries, machining adapter plates to mate motors to the stock transmissions and having them be alot faster than stock, so I have experience making electric drive trains

But with this car, it has a lovely engine already, I want to shorten the torque tube and fit an electric motor between the torque tube and transmission, based on stuff I've done with porsche 914s and vw bugs, it shouldn't be too hard to machine the parts for it, and I don't mind sacrificing the never used back seat for batteries or something, or perhaps in the spare tire compartment

I don't need very much batteries, hence mild hybrid

Based on the math, it should get up to 40ish mpg with the added weight included, but that's not the point, the point would be to add a boost of 200-300 foot-pounds of torque in the drive shaft, and replace the components that snap over time , the motor could apply a minor drag for power regeneration that can be charged up and used for acceleration later

This may be a possible buildthread as I gather the components over time, and a place to ask for advice, but I might make a different thread for the buildthread because it won't start for...a while ($$$)
Anyway, here is a graphic I put together in like, 30 seconds for you:

Last edited by Gabe Alexander; 05-10-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: "runt of the litter" not run of the litter lol
Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Gabe Alexander
Track Day

I'm planning to use a 200kW ac-induction motor with a rotor shaft that extends out on both sides, so it can couple to the torque tube and transaxle easily after I make a thing to mount it
Old 05-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Gabe Alexander
Track Day

I didn't meant to put this in the racing forum!
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Gabe Alexander
Track Day

not sure how to delete this thread, but I made a copy and put it here

Quick Reply: 1987 Porsche 924S mild hybrid project, no longer the runt of the litter