Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   "HEY, WAIT FOR ME" Racing Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/hey-wait-for-me-racing-forum-146/)
-   -   Gutting Interior: Glue Removal Option? (https://rennlist.com/forums/hey-wait-for-me-racing-forum/725115-gutting-interior-glue-removal-option.html)

dsrufer 11-04-2012 11:29 AM

Gutting Interior: Glue Removal Option?

I've removed everything in the back of my '87 Carrera and now find glue everywhere. I purchased Goof-Off but it's not doing the job nearly as well as I would hope. The glue remains soft and just moves around while remaining stuck to the car. I've got hours into trying to remove the glue and suspect I've made less than a 5% impact. At this rate, it will be my entire wintertime project. What else can I try? Is there anything that might dry the glue? Thank you for any suggestion.

Dan

Dubai944 12-16-2012 03:07 AM

Dry ice. Freeze it then break it off.

Einsteiger 01-06-2013 10:18 PM

3M Adhesive remover works on almost everything. It comes in a can or in aerosol. For the really thick, stubborn areas, try a heat gun (on low!) or a hair dryer (on high) to soften the residue enough to scrape it off with a putty knife or similar scraper. [DO NOT use both methods at the same time!] good luck

Chaos 01-25-2013 12:32 PM

Outside wth a respirator,paint on three coats of xylene. Let sit and wipe up. Air car out well. No heat. Did I mention a RESPIRATOR!

DUR0N 02-26-2013 06:16 AM

3M remover/citrus remover and dry ice need a lot of extra elbow grease. Haven't tried xylene yet, thanks for the tip.

Also: first post.

Vonschmidt 04-13-2013 02:16 AM

Xylene is a universal solvent that is worth looking into. I would insure there is no chance of an open spark or electrical switching. And as the earlier post warned respirator.

Let us know how it works out I'm going to strip a Boxter next.

LuigiVampa 05-26-2013 09:06 AM

This job is much easier in the winter. Wait for the car to freeze and then you take out a cordless drill with a wire wheel attached to it. That's what I did. You still have to clean the last bit of residue with a solvent but it is much much easier. If you do it in the summer you will be sorry!

fpb111 08-24-2013 01:34 AM

I've got a universal solvent that would do it, but I can't find a container that will hold it!??! :icon107:

MUSSBERGER 11-28-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 10491226)
This job is much easier in the winter. Wait for the car to freeze and then you take out a cordless drill with a wire wheel attached to it. That's what I did. You still have to clean the last bit of residue with a solvent but it is much much easier. If you do it in the summer you will be sorry!

I read some where it does get cold there.;)

lopro 08-25-2014 10:11 PM

sounds funny but I found gas in a spray bottle the best possible solution, ive used everything under the sun and gas just worked best. open up the garage windows and respirator and your good to go.

also I found cotton fluffy towels worked best in a vigorous circular motion not just scrubbing back and forth didn't work aswell as round and round. Hope you like fumes.

DannoXYZ 09-12-2014 05:44 AM

Gasoline, eh? Interesting. I guess it's got a tonne of chemicals and solvents in it. So there's probably something in it that will work on any given adhesive.

lopro 09-12-2014 09:50 AM

thing is Gas is cheap, I never thought Id ever say that about gas but the amount of solvent needed to remove/soften up the glue is about 3-4 bottle of xylene (you will need it sparingly) so in terms of quantity gas is much less expensive.

Many times I found the best method was to spray the entire area an allow the gas to do its own thing. I cant begin to tell you how much you will need a respirator and a fan pushing the fumes out of the back of the car. Its a tuff job, at times I felt like the glue was never going to get cleaned up but sure enough if you just keep plugging away at it it will be gone. After I had the whole car stripped out of the bulk of the glue I re wiped down the whole area a couple of times to get anything I missed. Removing glue from my hands and arms after I had enough gas for oneday was done by "googone" - I just finished doing this job, sure was a mess for the first few days.

cobalt 02-04-2016 05:30 PM

I found xylene soaked shop rag worked great. Let sit for 10 minutes or so and the glue just rolls right off. Well ventilated room and mask. Is a must. The smell dissipates much faster than gas.