Notices

The official HWFMR colonoscopy thread -- As reported by Dave Barry

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Thanks, Bull, I appreciate that. I have been hinting at it to him for a while . . . but maybe I'll go "behind the scenes" and talk to our family doctor at my physical on the 29th. I know it's literally a pain in the butt to do those exams, but it sure beats the alternative. Again, thanks for answering those questions for me.
What Bull said. 40 if there's a history I think is the rule and then 50 for everyone else. Some people get the upper GI one done at the same time, but make sure to request that they do the down the throat one first.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, I had my first one at age 45 because of some digestive issues, and uh... they found something that needed to be removed. I go every few years, and nothing has popped up since, but it's a really good idea to be checked by age 50 at the latest.

And the description could not be better. Absolute living hell, right up to the point they stick the needle in your arm and tell you to count backwards from 10. You never get past 8, and the next thing you know, you're waking up in the recovery room.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by mglobe
and uh... they found something that needed to be removed - a lost gerbil.
Corrected
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahaha on the gerbil! Was Richard Gere the examiner?

Anyway . . . I passed on the info to John. He claims that his doctor told him not to worry, as his mother did not develop colon cancer until later in life -- around 70 or so. I dunno . . . should I ask my doc about it anyway? I think I will, as maybe he can give me a more informed response as why NOT to have one before 50. John will be 46 in May. I still think he's pushing it by not getting checked out sooner. But I could be wrong.

As an aside, I was told of a survey recently. It said more married men live longer than single men because the wives are always reminding them to see the doctor. The same survey claimed that married women live shorter lives than single women because their husbands are always telling them things are alright and there is no cause for alarm. Unfortunately, mine is always giving me grief to see the doctor. Argh. I'm going, I'm going! Dang!!! Lol.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Married men live longer as a way of getting back at the married women...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:59 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by mglobe
Married men live longer as a way of getting back at the married women...
Way to avoid the Gerbil assertion or is it insertion? No, assertion seems to work best.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts

I remember mine like it was yesterday and that was 10 years ago (stress gone amuk on my poor digestive tract at the age of 40). I didn't have to drink a ton of that Movi stuff like y'all, but the combination of something in a two coke sized bo(it tasted like Lime) and the 6 or 8 laxitive pills I had to take pretty much cleared me out to my tonsils and beyond. I think I practically took a blanket into the John and slept on the floor for a while. The final suppository I had to use at midnight didn't have a chance. It shot out like a 44................... AND I Never laughed so hard in my entire life even though I was in pain at that point.... I was calling for Ice Cream and it wasn't for me to eat.

The test itself was a walk in the park, with my butt exposed to the wind. Speaking of wind. Lots of wind being passed by all the patients in the recovery room. Poor Nurses.................
Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't tell you how exciting the HWFM Flatulence and Fire Hose thread is to read first thing in the morning....
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
I can't tell you how exciting the HWFM Flatulence and Fire Hose thread is to read first thing in the morning....
Geezus....agreed.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

ROFL . . . "Flatulence and Fire Hose thread" . . . that's classic. That alone just got me to chuckle.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

1. Did you get "IT" all out in the clensing ? Photos do not lie.
2. Does you doctor charge you for comming back for another one "just in case"
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

IT was a precancerous polyp, and yes it was completely removed.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Great story. I note that Dave Barry writes for the Miami Herald and that this column may be purchased from the the Miami Herald's web site. Under the new guidelines should not this post be deleted as an infringement of the Herald's copyright? I did not pay for a copy so I cannot see whether if I had done so it would give me permission to post a full copy here on Rennlist. You can see the place to pay for a copy here: http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_multi=MH|&p_product=MH&p_theme=realcities2&p_action=search&p_ maxdocs=200&s_site=miami&s_trackval=MH&s_dispstring=dave%20barry%20colon oscopy%20AND%20date(all)&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=(dave%20barry%20colonoscopy)&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=_rank _&xcal_ranksort=4&xcal_useweights=yes

Of course I have posted copyrighted material to Rennlist, too. Probably well outside the bounds of fair use, too. I'm not holier than the OP....

Of course a Google search of the Internet shows that MANY have posted the full text of this column to MANY web sites. Information wants to be free and all that.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm pretty sure that as long as the author is noted that we'd not suffer from a copyright infringement suit. There are lawyers on this list . . . perhaps they will chime in.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When this was posted, it appeared to me to be a public service type article. Sure enough, I did some searches and found it published with an OK to distribute. Hence I found no need to delete it and replace with a link.

Scanned materials are almost always a no-no. Stuff online often has permission to 'reprint' but can be hard to find, hence it is best if the person posting can show it has permission. In this case, not only was it funny but it served a great purpose so I took it upon myself to see if I could find an instance with permission.

Simply giving credit does not make it OK but fair use rules allow excerpts. Parody of copyrighted materials are fair game from what I know, but I am not an attorney.

From a logical perspective, scanned articles are the biggest problem because by posting those you are potentially taking away revenue from the publication. On-line would likely garner far less attention. I will be happy to ask IB as the site owner, what they would specifically like to allow and not allow.

Quick Reply: The official HWFMR colonoscopy thread -- As reported by Dave Barry