Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   "HEY, WAIT FOR ME" Racing Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/hey-wait-for-me-racing-forum-146/)
-   -   Somebody do something quick (https://rennlist.com/forums/hey-wait-for-me-racing-forum/454135-somebody-do-something-quick.html)

deep_uv 09-16-2008 10:01 PM

I pinged Globe as I hadn't heard from him in 24 hours. He's still ok, said he'd contact me later.

Bonster 09-17-2008 12:15 PM

It really pisses me off that in a time where we should be helping each other out, some folks decide to instead use force to get stuff before everyone else has a chance at it. I've got a friend who told me a story about when she was at a gas station after Ivan gave us hell down here. Some guy went to the front of the line at a gas station. When asked by the guy who was initially at the front of the line what he was doing, he brandished a hand gun. What an asshole. I wish those kind of people would just be taken out of the gene pool. Wouldn't it have been awesome if everyone else in that line had a gun of their own? Bwahahaha. That would have taught that dickhead a lesson. Of course, it could have also resulted in a huge homocide scene. People can be such jerks. Sorry . . . that just really pisses me off. Now let me tell ya how I REALLY feel . . . lol. ;)

Bull 09-17-2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by deep_uv (Post 5814807)
HAHA!! I've been to Jersey. :rolleyes:

As with most any State, you need to tell us what location in the State. After all, Texas isn't all Colonias.

Now, back to hearing how folks are doing after Ike.

Bull 09-17-2008 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bonster (Post 5816532)
It really pisses me off that in a time where we should be helping each other out, some folks decide to instead use force to get stuff before everyone else has a chance at it. I've got a friend who told me a story about when she was at a gas station after Ivan gave us hell down here. Some guy went to the front of the line at a gas station. When asked by the guy who was initially at the front of the line what he was doing, he brandished a hand gun. What an asshole. I wish those kind of people would just be taken out of the gene pool. Wouldn't it have been awesome if everyone else in that line had a gun of their own? Bwahahaha. That would have taught that dickhead a lesson. Of course, it could have also resulted in a huge homocide scene. People can be such jerks. Sorry . . . that just really pisses me off. Now let me tell ya how I REALLY feel . . . lol. ;)

As I have said before, we should all be required to carry. People would be much more polite to each other, and those who were not would be quickly eliminated from the gene pool!

Bonster 09-17-2008 01:36 PM

I don't agree that we should be required to carry, but I damn sure don't believe that we should not be allowed to carry if we want to. I don't remember the former NRA logo from years ago, but it said something like you'll be safer if the bad guys don't know whether you are armed or not. If these bleeding heart liberals were to get their way and take away our right to carry, all the bad guys would know and crime would rise.

There was a study the NRA did in Australia after they banned guns. Murder went up by something like 80%, theft was up by about 70% . . . those aren't exact figures but it was HUGE. I don't want to live in a country that doesn't give me the right to defend myself against the same assholes who are committing crimes that don't register their guns in the first place.

Oh crap . . . there I go again. I think my blood pressure just shot up. ;)

deep_uv 09-17-2008 01:44 PM

Emailed back and forth with Globester this morning. He was in a gas line for at least 2 hours, propbably more. Haven't heard what the full duration was. That can't be fun. No talk of gunplay yet.

mglobe 09-17-2008 02:40 PM

I've got gas! Nothing a little pepto shouldn't take care of though.

I waited two hours this morning, but finally got a tank full of gas. Sat for a long time without moving... it turned out the turds running the station got in to work late. :( There were four HPD officers at the station keeping things running smoothly.

Honestly, I've seen almost no disorderliness in the city. We live in a pretty nice part of town, so maybe that is part of it, but for the most part people are going out of their way to be good to each other. I'm sure the media will be able to find looting etc, and put it on the idiot box, but from what I'm seeing in town, things are really operating pretty well. It is just hard to get stuff like food, gas, and ice. Really, even the food situation is getting better. Grocery stores are opening up, as are restaurants.

Last night my neighborhood got power. Nearly all of the homes... except for mine and the other nine houses serviced by the one power line that is down behind us. So... it could be a while before I've got power. Fortunately, wifey and daughter are staying with a friend who has power.

My office is open, so I'm back to work, (reading rennlist...). The big question in front of me now is do I head to the track this weekend. It mostly hinges on what fuel availability is like away from town. As it stands right now, I probably won't be going this weekend, but we'll see...

Bull 09-17-2008 02:47 PM

Hope you get the power back on soon Mike. It sucks when work is a better place to be than home is!

Bonster 09-17-2008 03:06 PM

Mike . . . don't you have a generator?

Mike in Chi 09-17-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bull (Post 5816649)
As I have said before, we should all be required to carry. People would be much more polite to each other, and those who were not would be quickly eliminated from the gene pool!

The assumption in the Rockies is the other person IS armed. Makes for a very polite, agreeable communities.

mglobe 09-17-2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bonster (Post 5817126)
Mike . . . don't you have a generator?

I don't, and honestly, I'd hate to have to wait in gas lines to keep one running anyway. I am tempted once things get back to normal though to get one of the natural gas powered generators.

Bonster 09-17-2008 04:04 PM

You shouldn't wait until a hurricane is upon you or close to hitting land fall to gas up. We have over 30 gallons worth in case we need our generator. If we wind up not using it, we just dump it in our truck and wait for the next season.

Veloce Raptor 09-17-2008 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi (Post 5817294)
The assumption in the Rockies is the other person IS armed. Makes for a very polite, agreeable communities.

+1

TR6 09-19-2008 12:22 AM

My mom finally got power back this evening (in Houston). Sounds like H-town is finally starting to get sort of back to normal. But everything from Clear Lake south sounds like it is fukked up badly and will be for a LONG time.

trackjunky 09-20-2008 07:27 PM

WTF! I'd like a "do over" please!

Holy ****! Can I get a F'n do over for the past two weeks.

First my dad passes away on the 4th of September, which is hard enough. But then I need to get Butt F'd by Continental Airlines for $975! for a plane ticket. When I said "Bereavement"....the bitch actually laughed. No bull****.....laughed!

Oh, wait....it gets better.

Then, I need to change my return flight so that I can get home before Hurricane Ike destroys everything and....you guessed it.....a change charge of $150 from good 'ol Continental.

Make it home.....pay $4.09! for premium (that's the only grade available) then buckle up for the ride of my life. Eye wall passes immediately to the east of my house. 13 hours of "I think we're gonna die".

Luckily, many downed trees, but none on the Sisco Family Castle.

Then, I get to cut trees out of the roadway so that I can get out of my street. Not bad, except that I have a small 9" pole chainsaw and I'm trying to cut a tree 2 feet around!

4 days without power......people way over reacting and causing a panic over gas.....waiting more than 12 hours in the sun to buy a generator......getting ice and water from a FEMA worker who says "I don't think we'll be here tomorrow, but watch your TV to see where we will be". Huh? TV? WTF doesn't that require electricity? Genius!!!

Get power...get gas (from gas station, not from food)....buy produce (oh boy was that peach GREAT!).....kid's still not in school.......cut down more trees......go back to work..........try to find gas again.........negotiate trees, branches, debris, etc on every street..........Starbucks is OPEN!!!.

Have 5 Captain Morgan + 7 UPs!!!!

Does this qualify for a "Do Over"?