Application for apprenticeship in the HWFM racing club: Big & slow car division

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Now you're talking. That is much more true to form HWFMR type material.

"I pass a guy on a straightaway doing about 35 mph"
LMAO!
Yeah but he passed someone while droving a Fiat 850. Worse yet, he was actually able to get an 850 to run... in below freezing weather!

I smell a ringer. This guy can drive, and he's a frigging mechanical genius to boot.

... I don't know...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Food Angel
{humming Incense and Peppermints}
Katie,

You are pure evil for bringing that song up.

hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm, duh duh duh duhhhh.

DAMN iT!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yeah but he passed someone while droving a Fiat 850. Worse yet, he was actually able to get an 850 to run... in below freezing weather!

I smell a ringer. This guy can drive, and he's a frigging mechanical genius to boot.

... I don't know...

Ah, you're familiar with these cars. I used to run an extension cord out to the driveway on cold mornings and put an electric heater in there to warm up the engine.

Ah, great fun.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you're talking. That is much more true to form HWFMR type material.

"I pass a guy on a straightaway doing about 35 mph"
LMAO!
I think we need the name of the guy you went past!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

... I don't know...
True, True. But you gotta give Ball Picker some credit for choosing slow vehicles all the time. 928, VW bus, Karmann Ghia, forklift, tow truck, ball picker, scooter, Fiat, Cessna, etc....

But, you're right, stories of eptitude in said slow vehicles is not helping.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

True, True. But you gotta give Ball Picker some credit for choosing slow vehicles all the time. 928, VW bus, Karmann Ghia, forklift, tow truck, ball picker, scooter, Fiat, Cessna, etc....

But, you're right, stories of eptitude in said slow vehicles is not helping.
OH, you had to put the 928 in there didn't you?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

I just remembered one. I guess I was blocking it out. This one is a real racing story:

Same Fiat, still 17:
A friend of mine and I both got our licenses early in our junior year of HS, and we were the only ones that had cars. Both were stick shift, which was already getting more rare than it used to be.

He had a Ford Capri Ghia which I had never even heard of. This car was mint. I don't mean it was in good shape I mean it was the ugliest color green you ever saw!

One day we decided to drag race, he was in his 2600 cc ford and me in my 850 cc Fiat. I was outgunned but I figured I had lightness on my side.

Well, he got ahead of me at the end of first gear, and by the time I was in 3rd, we has almost a telephone pole ahead of me and pulling away. It never really was a race.

Later that year some guy with a hemi Cuda asked if I wanted to race. I don't know where he got the idea that my little car was fast, but I never took him up on it.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just another lurker, but there is a mild innacuracy in the initial post, er application. "Even the Cessna is incapable of exceeding 100mph!". That is not true. Take it up to 6000 ft., push the throttle all the way in, nose down slightly and increase speed by about 5 kts, then pull her up a little and full left rudder (attempting a snap roll). Something goes wrong and you end up in an uncomfortable, out-of-control spin. Push yoke full in and attempt to right the spin using the rudder. Somehow (read miracle/divine intervention) the spin stops and you ar looking directly at the cornfield below, and its getting bigger fast. ASI reads 110 and you need an underwear change . As Ron White says "I've seen me do it". (It was 29 years ago so some of the specifics may be innacurate/embellished, but not the ASI.)

Sorry for the hijack, but if 100mph is the max. speed allowed for HWFMR, you should kick him to the curb.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just the fact that this applicant knows the max. speed attainable by so many diverse contraptions makes me very suspicious of him!

This application may need to be put in abeyance (whatever the hell that is) until a member or members, who may or may not exist, of the Membership Committee, which may or may not exist, have the opportunity to observe this applicant on an actual track, which may or may not ever happen.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it may or not be worth noting but well put there Bob.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you or not.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSharkFan
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJSharkFan
Do 928s still come with the pimp hat?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have drove with one of these POSs (upps sorry NJSharkFan. this particular car I mean) this year at CMP.

This one was Green with a ricer style wing bolted to the rear. Sound? Didn't have me thinking Incense and Peppermints.

The guy definitely wasn't HWFM material since he was pretty fast.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bull
Just the fact that this applicant knows the max. speed attainable by so many diverse contraptions makes me very suspicious of him!

This application may need to be put in abeyance (whatever the hell that is) until a member or members, who may or may not exist, of the Membership Committee, which may or may not exist, have the opportunity to observe this applicant on an actual track, which may or may not ever happen.
Fair enough.

In deferentiation to the Membership Committee that may or may not exist, I will temporarily withdraw my application for apprenticeship to the HWFMR team. As stated, I have been able to attain almost terminal velocity in a variety of low speed motor vehicles. I'm sure that when I drive a fast car on a track the inverse will occur and I will prove my worthiness for the honor of membership on this team.

Hopefully before this time next year I'll have proven myself in that regard.

If, in the meantime, you decide you find yourselves in need of a token 928 owner at one of your secret gatherings, you know who to call.

Respectfully,

Ball Picker, Scooter pilot, Fiat skipper,
Mike Frye

Quick Reply: Application for apprenticeship in the HWFM racing club: Big & slow car division