Notices

The official HWFMR uninspired droving video thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Just FYI supposedly hard drives cams hold up very poorly with track usage - the vibration is supposed to kill the heads
Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Just FYI supposedly hard drives cams hold up very poorly with track usage - the vibration is supposed to kill the heads
Exactly why the unit I received as a gift automatically shuts down at the first sign of damage causing vibration.......
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
the vibration is supposed to kill the heads
Uh....um.......nah, too easy.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, there's an internal "shut down in case I detect 2 g's or more because I think I'm falling" thing on mine that can be disabled, which I already have. (It now just warns me not to drop it, as the "protection mode" has been shut off).

And this generation spools to memory first, and then dumps to hard drive. So even if the hard drive gets shut down temporarily due to the g detection, it'll still record into memory and then dump to drive when it spins back up.

I can also write to memory card directly, and then offload it to disk manually.

So, here's a time-lapse of one of the hours of "parking": http://www.benchkeeper.com/download/parked.mov
Old 10-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jgrant
Actually, there's an internal "shut down in case I detect 2 g's or more because I think I'm falling" thing on mine that can be disabled, which I already have. (It now just warns me not to drop it, as the "protection mode" has been shut off).

And this generation spools to memory first, and then dumps to hard drive. So even if the hard drive gets shut down temporarily due to the g detection, it'll still record into memory and then dump to drive when it spins back up.

Mine has the "drop protection" also, which can be shut off, but it doesn't stop the fail-safe shutdown when it senses viration and you are recording to hard drive. Mine won't spool to memory, then dump to the hard drive later unfortunately. I can write to memory card directly and offload manually later, which is what i end up doing.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

So, here's a time-lapse of one of the hours of "parking": http://www.benchkeeper.com/download/parked.mov
Congratulations jgrant, that video is exactly what I'm talking about. That is some of the most outstanding parking I've ever seen captured on film! Was that a Nissan that gets pushed by about 2/3 of the way through?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Congratulations jgrant, that video is exactly what I'm talking about. That is some of the most outstanding parking I've ever seen captured on film! Was that a Nissan that gets pushed by about 2/3 of the way through?
Thanks... I try to take things slowly... so to me that means that I start with ensuring that I am parking correctly before worrying about anything on-track.... baby steps.

And that was actually a Lotus Exige that ran out of gas that we were pushing to the pumps.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Thanks... I try to take things slowly... so to me that means that I start with ensuring that I am parking correctly before worrying about anything on-track.... baby steps.
Now that we've dispatched Dr PITA Bread, I'd like commend jgrant for showing some very HWFMR characteristics. First a video showing his car actually not moving at all, now this. Keep it up jg, and you might make the team!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Ok folks, here is installment #2 for me. This was shot at TWS last weekend. At Bull's suggestion, I used round tires this time. It REALLY helped. Good thinking Bob! Much better video, more current music, and a little faster droving... up until we get the black flag cause someone went off between turns 9 & 10.

Flame away!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

MUCH better not needing to find the exact speed with which to shake one's head in order to smooth out the video. I actually thought I saw some elevation change on that track, but I think you just ran over a hunk of dirt.

From a droving standpoint, I must ask if you are a sailor or bobsled runner? If not, where did you learn all of that leaning into the turns???? What kind of restraints are you using (belts, not court Orders)?

Looked smooth with only minor corrections at the apex early on, and it appeared that you were gaining on some until that damn FE Water Pumper quit when he saw you coming!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Bob. The whole leaning thing.... I have only three point belts on standard Porsche seats, so that doesn't help, but it's partly a REALLY bad habit that I'm having a hard time getting rid of. This was not too bad of a lap for me. Close to some of the apex's, and pretty smoot. I actually looked into new seats this week. Thought about going to the GT3 shells, but I think I've decided against it, as this is my daily drover.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the input Bob. The whole leaning thing.... I have only three point belts on standard Porsche seats, so that doesn't help, but it's partly a REALLY bad habit that I'm having a hard time getting rid of. This was not too bad of a lap for me. Close to some of the apex's, and pretty smoot. I actually looked into new seats this week. Thought about going to the GT3 shells, but I think I've decided against it, as this is my daily drover.
In all seriousness, it looks good....for a boy from Texas.

I have several friends who use GT3 seats for their daily drovers and they are very happy with them. Others use one of the reclining seats from Recaro, Sparco, etc., with harness guide holes in them. Look for one with a hole for the sub belt(s) if you go that route. I don't believe that you can really advance as far as you should with your droving until you get yourself tied down...and I don't mean by the Hot Lap Dancer.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:43 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
I have several friends who use GT3 seats for their daily drovers and they are very happy with them. Others use one of the reclining seats from Recaro, Sparco, etc., with harness guide holes in them. Look for one with a hole for the sub belt(s) if you go that route. I don't believe that you can really advance as far as you should with your droving until you get yourself tied down...and I don't mean by the Hot Lap Dancer.
I was afraid you'd say that. I got similar feedback at the track last weekend. So I started shopping for seats, almost pulled the trigger, then decided not to. Now I'm back to googling for seats... Sparco makes one that looks really good for the street, but I can't figure out if it can handle a five point. This is a very slippery slope here.......

HLD can tie me down any time she wants.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was afraid you'd say that. I got similar feedback at the track last weekend. So I started shopping for seats, almost pulled the trigger, then decided not to. Now I'm back to googling for seats... Sparco makes one that looks really good for the street, but I can't figure out if it can handle a five point. This is a very slippery slope here.......

HLD can tie me down any time she wants.
Slippery slope????? You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Slippery slope????? You ain't seen nothin' yet!
I'm not as dumb as I look (couldn't possibly be right?). I can see the race car, tires, engine rebuilds, brakes, suspension, droving suit, trailer, tow vehicle, in-car video, data tracking, storage for all of above, travel costs, ... Ok, so I'm barely on the slope, but I can pretty much see what's ahead.

Quick Reply: The official HWFMR uninspired droving video thread