Notices

re: Question for the Instructors and CIs out there.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We might not be talking about the same person. I was referring to J. G. who few years ago left BMWCCA in SF.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, John or Jim or something, Frank. He was certainly conservative, but I applaud his efforts. Some of T.E.A.M. Racing's background for our instruction program comes from his teachings.

BW
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

A for safety effort, D for being so stiff and not adaptable to accommodate different student/instructor skill levels. Getting black flagged because the tire makes noise = lame. "you are going too fast we are afraid you are going to crash". WHAT?!?! the car never even stepped out a few inches. not even at all.... LAME.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
A for safety effort, D for being so stiff and not adaptable to accommodate different student/instructor skill levels. Getting black flagged because the tire makes noise = lame. "you are going too fast we are afraid you are going to crash". WHAT?!?! the car never even stepped out a few inches. not even at all.... LAME.
This pathetic little boy actually thinks that we believe any of his delusional rantings! Mr. Excuse just never changes..."my car wasn't prepared"..."my tires did it".....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Has anyone else noticed that Fank's fixations have a very limiting effect on his descriptive vocabulary?

That is the only way he can communicate to his "um-friend with benefits" Ryan...
Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonster
I instruct for the BMW CCA. I know of the guy you are speaking of. He's not ****, he's safety-concsious. Not a bad thing when you consider the average bimmer costs about $40k.

BW
"Safety conscious" is a phrase that is poison to Frankie' ears.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I never heard him say anything about squeeling tires, and there were plenty noisy street tires there. I have heard folks telling you not to squeel tires during lunchtime parade laps when pretty much anybody can go out, no helmets required. I once got warned about that with a black flag. I came in, talked to the fellow who told me I was driving too fast, to which I said something stupid like, "Oh. I thought you meant 40 mph max in the CORNERS." He chuckled and told me I knew better than that. Darn. So I just went back paddock. Parade laps that slow are no fun at all.

BW
Old 03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bonster
I have heard folks telling you not to squeel tires during lunchtime parade laps when pretty much anybody can go out, no helmets required.

Reminds me of a guy who looped his Corvette in Turn 6 during the ALMS race at Road America. Lower visibility corner coming up the hill and at least 30 cars behind him were then going every which way hitting brakes, etc. It was amazing that noone made any contact.

I wonder if it was RyanZ06?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

He looped his Corvette on a parade lap? Woah, that takes real talent, or an overly-eager right foot. You gotta be careful with those Z06 models. The power is INSTANT when you put pressure on the gas pedal. I can see how an untrained driver can easily get loose in a Z06.

BW
Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

It was the lunch hour 30 bucks go take a lap, he wasn't really going that fast IIRC and didn't jump on it too hard either. Just got the car WAY outta shape in a bad spot with a bunch of never evers on the track.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Woah! That could have been an expensive mess. Pehaps even bigger than the "big one" at Talladega. Maybe he should consider NASCAR. Lol. Corvettes are touchy little beasts, though. I've had the honor of drivng several of them and the most touchy of them all is the new C6 Z06 with stock 505 hp (supposedly 501 at the rear wheels, according to its owner). You can get yourself in a lot of trouble in those things. I've had years of experience and I got it a little loose when I put on the power a little too much, a little too soon coming out of a turn. The owner didn't seem to notice it, but I sure did! I did NOT want to buy a Corvette that day. I don't think a newbie should start out in something like that, but what can you do? They didn't buy the car to sit around and collect dust.

BW
Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is amazing what new people show up at the track with these days. We had a guy in our PCA Region decide that he wanted to learn to drive on track, but he owned a 993 Stoesek(sp?) speedster and didn't want to make the mods to make it track legal. So, he went out and bought a car suitable for the track........he bought the Orbit Racing GT3R that was 4th at Daytona about 4-5 years ago, then showed up in the Green Group! There was a mad scramble of volunteer Instructors to show him how to drive it! He turned out to be agreat guy and is now a good friend, but we convinced him after a few events that he wasn't learning to drive in that car (couldn't hear etc.), so he bought a "sensible" track car (kept the GT3R for later)....a 964 Cup Car and has done very well in that, advancing to the Black run group. Just so his cars aren't lonely, last month he bought the White Lightening LeMans class winning GT3RSR from a couple of years ago.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

There is major horsepower inflation in DE's these days, and it makes students FEEL fast even though they drive poorly (like Frankie). See the thread in the Racing section on this topic.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

People who show up at the track with an expensive, high-hp car as novices always worry me a little bit. Most are under the deception that because they are good street drivers that they will have no trouble running on a racetrack. I always keep a very short leash when instructing those folks. The only difference between instructing a student in a Miata versus a Cup Car, etc., is that things can go wrong a whole lot faster in the latter. This is truly a case where you DO NOT tell your student to speed up -- you might be biting of more than you can chew! ACK!

BW
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Bull
It is amazing what new people show up at the track with these days. We had a guy in our PCA Region decide that he wanted to learn to drive on track, but he owned a 993 Stoesek(sp?) speedster and didn't want to make the mods to make it track legal. So, he went out and bought a car suitable for the track........he bought the Orbit Racing GT3R that was 4th at Daytona about 4-5 years ago, then showed up in the Green Group! There was a mad scramble of volunteer Instructors to show him how to drive it! He turned out to be agreat guy and is now a good friend, but we convinced him after a few events that he wasn't learning to drive in that car (couldn't hear etc.), so he bought a "sensible" track car (kept the GT3R for later)....a 964 Cup Car and has done very well in that, advancing to the Black run group. Just so his cars aren't lonely, last month he bought the White Lightening LeMans class winning GT3RSR from a couple of years ago.
Duh, all these ppl, just like GR, loves to DROVING other ppl's nice cars. There are lot of RICH ppl out there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: re: Question for the Instructors and CIs out there.