A question on handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Stu
Ok, so here's the prognosis...
Alignment was totally out of whack. Both front and rear, toe and camber! Not sure how this happened other than stresses on the suspension on track (as mentioned above) since I haven't hit anything on the road that would cause such an "adjustment".
I'll post the printout of the settings pre and post new alignment when I get the car back tomorrow or Thursday. Stay tuned...

That's what I suspected. sounded like you were describing a more "serious" issue like a rear toe out problem.

Could the OEM rear toe links also not hold there setting under enough load?

Keep us posted..
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Will do.
There definitely was a toe out issue but I am unsure to what degree... in addition to the camber.
I also question why the settings didn't hold but didn't get a really good answer other than the suspension being stressed on the track... doesn't really make sense to me since its a trackable car. Of course I will be inquiring again
Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
Something else to check regarding allignment issues too - especially if you are using tarret end links..

I got an alignment with some tarett parts:
-Tarett Front Tie Rod
-Tarett Rear Toe Link
-Tarett Thrust Arm Bushing

allignment was where i wanted and 1st day was great. middle of 2nd day I had a Super uncomfortable feeling under braking at Summit Point. I finished the weekend running a few tenths slower but definitely felt like driving a boat braking into turn 1.

So, I came home. Visually I could see my right rear toe was out by 1 inch out compared to other. Allignment shop confirmed "outa-wack".

Turned out the Rear Toe can adjust under high stress (at least with Tarett). So, I got this:
-Locking Plate Kit, For Adjustable Rear Toe Link

If you felt more extreme tail wiggle under braking - you may be dealing with a rear toe out issue. And you may want to see if the stock rear toe links can accidentally adjust under load too..

Good luck and let us know if you determined a cause...
The manufacturer of the toe link has nothing to due with the possibility of them slipping. If the adjustment is not properly tightened it can move. The stock link has no adjustment and relies on the built in eccentric adjustment. Most aftermarket links, being based on a turnbuckle principle, have adjustment. You use locking plates to eliminate the factory adjustment. Rear camber change can also affect toe.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM
GT4Stu
Advanced

So as promised, here is the printout of my alignment specs both before and after. So the car was definitely out of whack across the board. Still not sure if this is a normal occurrence after a few track days. Also not sure why the front left caster is still slightly off even after the alignment... any thoughts?
As a follow on... how often do you guys check your alignment or have the cars aligned?
Thanks again for the feedback, its really helpful.
Stu
Old 07-20-2017, 04:07 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Default Sorry this may not have posted earlier

Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

I have experienced this in my GT4 with stock suspension with track alignment. Mainly on the front straight into turn 1 at VIR. Speeds are 120-130 mph-ish. Also going uphill braking into Oak Tree where speeds are about 100 mph.

I sat with a very experienced instructor at one event who was driving a pure stock GT4 and putting up fast times (like 2:02 - 2:05). We talked about this and he insisted it happens only when you start braking while the car is not going exactly straight or is otherwise unsettled.

I experimented several times and it seemed to me he was right. It has never felt like I was going out of control during the braking sequence so I have not thought much about it since then except for knowing what it is when it happens.

Quick Reply: A question on handling