Sponsored by: APR

current market on gt4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:25 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
My dealer recently "verbally" offered me MSRP (what I paid) for my GT4, on a trade in if I go for a 991.2 GT3. It's a year old, with 7000 miles, a new 3rd gear and a bunch of track days. To me, this means that I should be able to get even more on the open market, but probably smarter to trade her in.

I'm on the 991.2 6mt, PTS list, supposedly, and may go that route if the 918 owners don't scoop 'em all up first.
I'd pre-trade that before he changes his mind! Particularly if you get sales tax credit!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's an ebay listing for a 96K msrp car.

1st time finished at 95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Porsche...53.m1438.l2649

2nd time finished at 90
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Porsche...53.m1438.l2649

If I had one, and someone offered my MSRP and I was interested in selling it for real I'd let it go.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Looking into trading mine. MSRP $117k, CPO, full front Expel and 12k miles. Current offers $100-$105k on trade.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Looking into trading mine. MSRP $117k, CPO, full front Expel and 12k miles. Current offers $100-$105k on trade.
Probably a reasonable trade offer. Mileage higher than most. Some people get scared with mods & track use. They don't know why the car was made.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:12 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Some people get scared with mods & track use. They don't know why the car was made.
To be fair, such people may well know why it was made, and intend to use it that way ourselves, but not want to buy somebody else's track-day sloppy seconds.

I love Wranglers and Porsches, know how they're supposed to be used, and enjoy modding and racing/off-roading them. But I generally don't like to buy somebody else's modded/tracked car unless the price makes it a winning proposition.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

For me it would depend on mods and how was used. If someone had one with upgraded headers and an exhaust and they would provide the stock items on the side I would have no problem with the Mod and would choose that over a stock car. Actually, only a tracked car would bother me a little not the actual Mods. To me the Mods are money in my pocket.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
For me it would depend on mods and how was used. If someone had one with upgraded headers and an exhaust and they would provide the stock items on the side I would have no problem with the Mod and would choose that over a stock car. Actually, only a tracked car would bother me a little not the actual Mods. To me the Mods are money in my pocket.
At least some track days should shake the gremlins out of the car that are going to fail prematurely while it's still under warranty. 3rd gear issues as an example: those that broke it have hopefully gotten a revised box.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:39 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
...Actually, only a tracked car would bother me a little not the actual Mods....
Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion, and you (Jimmy-D) are no waif to this community, but I heard recently from a Porsche Technician (not service advisor, but actual tech) that these cars--all Porsches--like to be driven. Referring to my 991.1 C4S, he said "You bought a race car and it likes to be driven hard...and not doing so is like buying a race horse and taking it only on pony rides--these cars like to stretch their legs."
Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what anyone could say to convince me that there's some magical engine out there that, unlike all other engines, likes to be pushed to its limit and run hard. It's a machine, and even a stout machine is going to break and wear out eventually of if you ask a lot from it.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:02 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

There is an extreme on either side of the spectrum. I consider a track rat as much of an abused car as a garage queen.

There is a guy at local C&C events that has a Turbo with center locks and PCCB. The car looks better than the one that rolled off of factory just now. He licks every inch of it and wipes it 17 times a day.. proceeds to tell me all the wonders of the PCCB (despite me having multiple track days and auto-x class victories under my belt). I feel so bad for that poor car.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

eh, whatever. It's his car, he can do whatever he wants with it... not our business to care what he does.

I agree, both ends of the spectrum can be issues, but why all this talk from the dealers telling people to beat on the car like you stole it because "that's what it wants"? I've literally been told by sales people at one of the local dealers if you drive it hard it will last longer.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
eh, whatever. It's his car, he can do whatever he wants with it... not our business to care what he does.

I agree, both ends of the spectrum can be issues, but why all this talk from the dealers telling people to beat on the car like you stole it because "that's what it wants"? I've literally been told by sales people at one of the local dealers if you drive it hard it will last longer.
Stems from the ims failure issues. Apparently those engines had a higher failure rate in garage queens.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:09 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78
I feel so bad for that poor car.
Don't. There are plenty of other things to worry about. If he loves the car and is happy, good on him. If I had to choose between a garage queen and a track *****, I would take the queen.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

^ True, Joe .

Cars are designed to be driven, and not just for our benefit/enjoyment. All seals, bearings, rings, tires, etc. need to be used or they go away. Seals dry out, tires time out, bearings and rings and coolant passages can get stuck/contaminated/rusty, etc. None of that stuff was designed to work sitting still.

Low or super low mileage isn't always better. Sometimes, it's actually worse. If I am going to buy, use, and enjoy a car, I'd rather have an exceptionally well cared for example with reasonable or even high miles and fastidious maintenance (and no over-revs or sketchy computer history) that was driven by an owner who doesn't hammer his or her cars when the oil is cold, etc. A pristine car neglected and left sitting for weeks if not months at a time can be a visual delight but a mechanical nightmare. Just ask a friend who bought a pristine 928 only to find that its cylinder heads were completely corroded and required big $$$ to repair. Yes, aluminum cylinder heads can go bad due to stagnant coolant.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Up, down, flat…who knows?

The only smart thing to do is add miles to a GT4—that's where the value is. As for price, it seems like the GT4 is following at least one time-worn trend: More options don't translate into more dollars in the second-hand market, with the exceptions of LWBS and PTS for some buyers. Just my take, but it seems like the North American market views the GT4 as a $100,000 car +/-5000—so that loaded GT4s may sell under MSRP and/or take longer to move while low-option cars may sell for more than MSRP and/or take less time to move. That leaves GT4s with middling MSRPs doing just fine. Suspect there are exceptions to both scenarios; mileage and color will have an impact too.

Will be interesting to watch what happens from here. With little else to choose from in the same sphere, with the GT3 line moving upward in $10,000+ leaps, and with the next GT4 expected to have a more exotic NA flat six but also be quite a bit more expensive (think 15-25k), it's a reasonable bet that 981 GT4 prices won't fall off a cliff. I see that as a huge bonus in a car that already offers plenty of value even if it followed typical depreciation curves.
+1, good take
Thx

Quick Reply: current market on gt4?