Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Change Your Air Filters

Old 07-07-2017, 01:53 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
...Since I now have a second set of filters, I purchased the elbow housings from eb*y and will simplify the next change by just yanking and replacing and not having to deal with unscrewing the filters from the housings and replacing them. V6
Good idea. Went and looked those up...p/n 981 110 133 00 and 981 110 134 00. Porsche calls it a "Tube left" and "Tube right." I see two on ebay for $58 ea.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 PM
gac1077
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Just changed mines at 15k, using BMC. Love the Sharkwerks tool.
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The one thing I have seen from these photos and my car's filters is that they get dirty from the wider base to the narrow end. I guess the majority of the vacuum pulls the dirt to the closest to the engine until it becomes restrictive and then the air moves to the middle of the filter and then to the end.

V6
Old 09-10-2023, 12:51 PM
DomTheBomb
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Just changed my BMC filters. I bought a new set so I wouldn't be down a day for the water to dry out of the older BMC filters before oiling.

In tapping the filters to the ground to remove exterior dirt, i was surprised by how much dirt came off. It left a 5 inch circular pile about 1/16 inch thick. Didn't appear to be that bad before tapping them. The filters had about 8K miles on them with about 1400 miles of that from track time. Most of the dirt came from the bigger (housing) end of the filters. The interior ducts in the car had a mild dust coating of dirt that was easily wiped away. No big chunks due to Zunsport intake grills, I guess. I did see some small square black particles that might have been track rubber that was picked up.

The BMC regeneration videos say to oil both sides of pleats after cleaning and drying, but with the conical filter design, I recommend purchasing the recharge kit with oil spray rather than the squirt bottle as it is nearly impossible to squeeze the bottle and get good interior coverage. The kit with the spray on oil will likely do better coating the filter interior.

Since I now have a second set of filters, I purchased the elbow housings from eb*y and will simplify the next change by just yanking and replacing and not having to deal with unscrewing the filters from the housings and replacing them.

Also, the factory workshop manual recommends recoating the green seals on the housing with silicone grease (I suspect to make the next removal a bit easier and less likely to pull the seal out of the groove in the housing.

V6
So your filter is just sitting in the car not secured by the screw anymore? Are you afraid of it popping out on its own?
Old 09-11-2023, 02:02 PM
Milksteak
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DomTheBomb
So your filter is just sitting in the car not secured by the screw anymore? Are you afraid of it popping out on its own?
My read is that they have two sets of everything (filters and elbow connectors). Makes it quick and easy to swap one set of filters for another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change Your Air Filters