Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 646 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Is the shop open during race season?

Maybe it's time for another open house gathering there for the GT4 owners...
Anytime Pete!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Is the shop open during race season?

Maybe it's time for another open house gathering there for the GT4 owners...
It will have to be like a celebrity interview though, where the publicist screens the questions that you can ask, and tells you which topics are 'verboten'.

"Yeah, that question is ok, but no-one, and I mean no-one, can ask how much it costs".

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
ajw45 - you mentioned offering a meetup where you could roll on a stock GT4. Has anyone taken you up on this? I'm on the wrong coast, otherwise I would, but I'd love to see the measurable difference.
Yes! There are a couple of local Boston RLers up for meeting when schedules line up. I'm not sure we're going to actually get any side by side runs since finding any empty road around Boston that is not covered in traffic, staties, pot holes and decaying asphalt is a challenge but who knows...
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Hahahahahahaha! New engine is so ridiculous and so much fun! I finally got the car out for a couple days at Tremblant and can't stop smiling.

I totally did not appreciated what the 4L X51 engine could do until now. Between the long gearing and the powerkit doing most of it's thing at the top end, short bursts on public roads were just little glimpses of the beast. I knew the power was there and I could taste it but I hadn't really enjoyed it... until now. Unleashed on the track where the engine could live above 5k rpm for a couple days and wow, I'm in love.

Between wailing down the straights with the engine revving out to 8k rpm and the additional ease of adjusting the line through corners with the throttle, the engine made the same track a whole new experience. Engine temps were good all weekend, no noticeable oil usage in the now 2k miles, and everything has been running tip top. Unfortunately the combo of DMS race headers, high rpms, and a sneaky af sound guy meant a shortened day 2 after back to back db violations. Also a new experience.... <sigh>

One thing I noticed is that even with the extra power, the long gearing is still annoying for street driving, maybe more so. Sure the engine rips through those last 2k rpm way harder and faster than before in a way that's totally addicting but with gearing this long there's not a lot of opportunities to enjoy it. Even less so with the extra headroom from the increased redline (8100 rpm) which makes second gear is good for over 85 mph now.

Also still have mixed feelings about the lightened flywheel/clutch combo. When the clutch is cold, its as friendly as stock, at the track it's great, but when it's hot from a few hours of driving and I'm trying to crawl the car uphill in traffic it is a massive grabby pita. If/when that shorter final drive ratio becomes a thing I might consider leaving the lightened flywheel but looking at more street friendly clutch options. The hard part will be telling Rick I'm not race car enough for the clutch....
Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default re map

Am I reading this correctly? You remapped Rick's engine work? I think that's a no no.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:52 PM
rflavell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of God, video please!!!

Originally Posted by ajw45
Hahahahahahaha! New engine is so ridiculous and so much fun! I finally got the car out for a couple days at Tremblant and can't stop smiling.

I totally did not appreciated what the 4L X51 engine could do until now. Between the long gearing and the powerkit doing most of it's thing at the top end, short bursts on public roads were just little glimpses of the beast. I knew the power was there and I could taste it but I hadn't really enjoyed it... until now. Unleashed on the track where the engine could live above 5k rpm for a couple days and wow, I'm in love.

Between wailing down the straights with the engine revving out to 8k rpm and the additional ease of adjusting the line through corners with the throttle, the engine made the same track a whole new experience. Engine temps were good all weekend, no noticeable oil usage in the now 2k miles, and everything has been running tip top. Unfortunately the combo of DMS race headers, high rpms, and a sneaky af sound guy meant a shortened day 2 after back to back db violations. Also a new experience.... <sigh>

One thing I noticed is that even with the extra power, the long gearing is still annoying for street driving, maybe more so. Sure the engine rips through those last 2k rpm way harder and faster than before in a way that's totally addicting but with gearing this long there's not a lot of opportunities to enjoy it. Even less so with the extra headroom from the increased redline (8100 rpm) which makes second gear is good for over 85 mph now.

Also still have mixed feelings about the lightened flywheel/clutch combo. When the clutch is cold, its as friendly as stock, at the track it's great, but when it's hot from a few hours of driving and I'm trying to crawl the car uphill in traffic it is a massive grabby pita. If/when that shorter final drive ratio becomes a thing I might consider leaving the lightened flywheel but looking at more street friendly clutch options. The hard part will be telling Rick I'm not race car enough for the clutch....
Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Am I reading this correctly? You remapped Rick's engine work? I think that's a no no.
Sorry if that was misleading, nope, that is Rick's map!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:03 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 266 Posts

You are a role model to me ajw
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Any new impressions to share now that you have more miles on your new package?

Seems to me to be the ultimate set up for the GT4 and what a GT4 RS would have been!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L X51 is IN!