Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

4L X51 is IN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:02 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

But the RS makes 500hp more horsepower than the GT4 at 9000 rpms...anyway GT4s can rev higher?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty jealous of the options you guys have in the states, just awesome, I would however have a little concern about all that power on the 3rd gear, apparently getrag made them in a cheese mould
Old 06-25-2017, 11:27 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Awesome! Great work.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by O5C4R
Pretty jealous of the options you guys have in the states, just awesome, I would however have a little concern about all that power on the 3rd gear, apparently getrag made them in a cheese mould
But with this being a known issue it would be hard for Porsche to deny this under warranty even if they learned you enhanced the engine. This is when if you you have a good relation with your Dealer they could probably help you out
Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by O5C4R
I would have a little concern about all that power on the 3rd gear...
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
But with this being a known issue it would be hard for Porsche to deny this under warranty even if they learned you enhanced the engine. This is when if you you have a good relation with your Dealer they could probably help you out
Hmmm... Man I'd be very surprised if Porsche honored any part of the drivetrain warranty on a motor as wildly un-stock as that. Could be wrong, but it's my understanding dealers can sway manufacturers only on cases that are murky, where it's really unclear what caused the problem and it could go either way.

I don't believe any brand of dealer could get you a drivetrain warranty repair on a drivetrain that was subjected to 50 more hp than OEM. Personally, I'd file this sort of modification under the "completely voids powertrain warranty" file and just be prepared to be on my own. Cuz Porsche could make a very convincing case that every component in the engine's downline would be subjected to 15% greater stress than it was designed for, and therefore it's not their fault.

And PARTICULARLY with a "known fault" like 911SC airbox explosions, 964 clutches, 993 distributors 996/997 IMS, GT4 transmission and so forth, I'd see Porsche actually being less likely to add to the number of legitimate warranty claims they were having to finance by paying for an illegitimate one like this.

Which is not to say don't do this mod! It sounds like a wonderful upgrade. But there's nobody on this planet who can tell you with any certainty that the drivetrain would be covered -- in fact, the act of asking would put you on the radar screen. So you better be prepared for a likely worst-case scenario of no warranty. Pay to play, as they say.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

what better time than ever to also ship off the transmission for Sharkwerk's 3,4,5 gears while the motor is out of the car
Old 06-26-2017, 01:15 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Given that a GT4 with this mod can be had for less than HALF the price of an RS I would go this way everytime!
That dyno chart looks amazing, but I don't understand this sentence. If we're talking base MSRP to base MSRP, the GT4 started @ $85K and the RS started @ $177K -- so a GT4 is barely less than half the price of an RS to begin with. I'm assuming that this mod costs a lot more than the tiny margin there, but I also doubt that this mod just by itself would be half the price of an RS. So how does this math work?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:56 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
That dyno chart looks amazing, but I don't understand this sentence. If we're talking base MSRP to base MSRP, the GT4 started @ $85K and the RS started @ $177K -- so a GT4 is barely less than half the price of an RS to begin with. I'm assuming that this mod costs a lot more than the tiny margin there, but I also doubt that this mod just by itself would be half the price of an RS. So how does this math work?
I asked for an indicative cost earlier, but got no response. I dont really understand why vendors get all cagey on prices. For every one or two who might call to enquire, there will be 10-15 who dont bother assuming that the price wont be to their liking. Its not really a good way to generate sales...
Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
what better time than ever to also ship off the transmission for Sharkwerk's 3,4,5 gears while the motor is out of the car
again you lucky bastards 😝

That would be the ultimate, GT4.0 with sharkwerks gears
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bardman
I asked for an indicative cost earlier, but got no response. I dont really understand why vendors get all cagey on prices. For every one or two who might call to enquire, there will be 10-15 who dont bother assuming that the price wont be to their liking. Its not really a good way to generate sales...
Ha, I went so far as to request pricing by email -- even just a general idea of the 4.0 pricing by itself -- the first day of this thread. It appears to be a closely held secret as I haven't heard anything yet.

And Jphughan, you make a great point. It seems impossible it could cost so little that the car plus the mods are half the cost of an RS, nor does it seem likely to be so much that the mods themselves are half the price of an RS, given that BGB Racing in Daytona has a thread in 991 offering a new-in-box crate motor X51 3.8 installed for $28,000, which they say will probably be 25,000 as they are negotiating better pricing from a dealer on the motor itself.

I haven't tracked RS prices on the secondary market since they first came out -- perhaps they are actually costing much more than MSRP still? Saw an Ultraviolet one yesterday in Toronto. Whew! That's certainly a commitment!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmm... Man I'd be very surprised if Porsche honored any part of the drivetrain warranty on a motor as wildly un-stock as that.
Sad that Porsche is apparently okay with crappy shipping costing them tons of money in reworking their own trannies, but would not cover a 3rd gear on a modded motor. I would say it is 50/50 - they might cover it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Once you begin to mod the internals of the motor, which will increase power, stress, wear, all bets are off with regards to warranty.. Expecting porsche to warranty the tranny after you've increased power output, is silly..
When you mod you PAY to play the game..
Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by aryork
...Porsche is apparently okay with [NOTHING IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE] costing them tons of money...
I took the liberty of modifying your statement for accuracy.

I would say it is 50/50 - they might cover it.
Wow, that's a high guess. We'll likely never know, of course, given how small the sample size is of 4.0 and 4.0 + X51 users, but I sure wouldn't apply 50/50 odds if I was doing financial planning for myself, OR if say I was calculating the likely costs of underwriting an insurance policy (i.e. aftermarket warranty) that would specifically cover someone with a 4.0 if the dealer or PCNA turned them down.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Just remove the headers aor exhaust before bringing it in, and they don't see the internals nor the intake.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Just remove the headers aor exhaust before bringing it in, and they don't see the internals nor the intake.
My Dealer installed my headers and exhaust. They have no problem with any of this. All they said is that remove the tune if you have to bring in for any warranty work.

Quick Reply: 4L X51 is IN!