4L X51 is IN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy-D,
I thought you were big time.

And I am in the same boat, though I would probably start with a PDK GTS and put this motor in it.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by calvinchan
Pictures & videos, please!
Hah, I assume the engine is in the car the car under all that carpeting.....

View this post on Instagram

If anyone is in Boston this week and wants to take a test drive and or do a side by side high pull for some video I'm game!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:47 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Once you go down this road with this conversion there is not turning back. That engine goes and it's on you. Also - selling the car may also be very difficult with this conversion. If i had money to blow and did not care this would certainly be the route
Totally. I got to see the 4L conversion over a year ago when Deman had an open house for GT4 owners but I didn't pull the trigger until after I got comfortable with some of the points you mentioned above. It helped my decision making a lot that Deman had already done a number of 4L engines that are out in the wild, Porsche already offers an oem stroked 3.8 to 4L in the R/RS, the X51 kit is completely oem, and BGB had already posted dynos of their X51 GT4 with all the tuning sorted. I didn't want to feel like a guinea pig or beta tester and it felt like at this point things were mature enough that I (hopefully) wouldn't be.

All that said, if anything does go wrong, there is no explicit warranty... unless Rick forgot to tell me about it. Deman is close by though and they have a reputation to maintain so I feel good (perhaps naively) that if the engine popped tomorrow through no fault of my own, they would be there to help.

One nuance though is that I don't have money to blow and I do care and still decided to pull the trigger. I won't argue that it's a completely rational decision, but it's not a thoughtless one.... One thought for example was that my wife would ask more questions if my car suddenly had round headlights, a huge empty space behind the seats, no trunk, and apple carplay than if it just felt way faster
Old 06-21-2017, 02:36 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Man....this upgrade I'm sure feels awesome on the GT4! You guys are lucky you can drop your car at places like DeMan, TPC and BGB. My options are either fly their crew and parts here or buy an engine, ship them the engine, do the mods and then swap it here. As you can imagine both options will skyrocket the cost of upgrading to a 4L/X51....
Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Man....this upgrade I'm sure feels awesome on the GT4! You guys are lucky you can drop your car at places like DeMan, TPC and BGB. My options are either fly their crew and parts here or buy an engine, ship them the engine, do the mods and then swap it here. As you can imagine both options will skyrocket the cost of upgrading to a 4L/X51....
Wouldn't you want to just ship them your car? The last thing I'd want is for one group to build the engine and someone else to install and test it. Talk about potential finger-pointing. Cost would be $1500 - $2000 roundtrip from the farthest places in the country, I'd think. Say the job is $25k*; if it became $27k but they provided free shipping from you to them and back to you, would that make it a no-deal?

Or, what I'd do is ship it to Deman, then fly out and drive it home.

But that's just me.

Actually, I'd drive it both ways, now that I think about it.

*I'm sure the combo X51 and stroker is more than this, since Porsche got $15k for the X51 adder on Carreras as an OEM option. But I'm just giving an illustration.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:23 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Wouldn't you want to just ship them your car? The last thing I'd want is for one group to build the engine and someone else to install and test it. Talk about potential finger-pointing. Cost would be $1500 - $2000 roundtrip from the farthest places in the country, I'd think. Say the job is $25k*; if it became $27k but they provided free shipping from you to them and back to you, would that make it a no-deal?

Or, what I'd do is ship it to Deman, then fly out and drive it home.

But that's just me.

Actually, I'd drive it both ways, now that I think about it.

*I'm sure the combo X51 and stroker is more than this, since Porsche got $15k for the X51 adder on Carreras as an OEM option. But I'm just giving an illustration.

That would be great...only problem is I'm in Puerto Rico and the car is financed so I would have to pay for it (cancel the financing) and then ship the car.....probably $2000-$3000 USD each way. Please no PR Bonds or Government Bankruptcy jokes!!!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

That would be great...only problem is I'm in Puerto Rico and the car is financed so I would have to pay for it (cancel the financing) and then ship the car.....probably $2000-$3000 USD each way. Please no PR Bonds or Government Bankruptcy jokes!!!!!
Oh wow, changes everything! Then I suppose shipping the motor itself would be pretty difficult as well.

Oh well, at least you're not stuck with a POS car!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:17 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Oh wow, changes everything! Then I suppose shipping the motor itself would be pretty difficult as well.

Oh well, at least you're not stuck with a POS car!

I can't complaint.....I really love the GT4 with the few mods I have done to it. If it wasn't so complicated in terms of logistics, the 4L + X51 could be an option in the future.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

... Please no PR Bonds or Government Bankruptcy jokes!!!!!
The Spanish version of the 4.0L conversion is rumored to be a bit more spicy! (sorry, had to! )
Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aryork
The Spanish version of the 4.0L conversion is rumored to be a bit more spicy! (sorry, had to! )

Spicy is good.....not just on food and cars!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:31 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

This is certainly an interesting thread and makes one think.

Looking forward to updates from the OP
Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Likewise. What I'm wondering about is how much power a 4.0l conversion would add to a car that already had X51, like, just to pick a totally random example out of the air, my 911 GTS...
Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Likewise. What I'm wondering about is how much power a 4.0l conversion would add to a car that already had X51, like, just to pick a totally random example out of the air, my 911 GTS...
My guess is about 20 HP based off of BGB site.
http://www.teambgb.com/category-s/133.htm

I would love to pull the trigger on a 4.0 conversion but I am a chicken. Maybe with time my stance will change.

OP please keep updates coming so I can live vicariously through you.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:08 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Peak power is one thing, but power / torque under the curve is another benefit.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:10 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

I'm supposed to stop in London next week. Crank and pistons should fit fine in my carry on.....

Quick Reply: 4L X51 is IN!