Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Shark Werks Air Filter Removal Tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Ghalleck
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my tool from Shark Werks and changed filters in my Spyder yesterday. Sorry no video, but on the Spyder you lift up on the two plastic covers for the oil and antifreeze, then simply pull the carpet from under the lip of the rubber seal, folding it back into the trunk. There is an additional plastic cover the needs to be removed in order to get to one of the bolts for the computer mount. Other than the removal tool, I only needed a T25 Torx driver, a 10mm socket and ratchet, a vacuum and some petroleum jelly for the filter seals.

The tool worked great, possibly saving skin on several knuckles.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Dan,
Thanks for your thoughts. Next time I'll use your suggested method for reasons noted.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghalleck
I got my tool from Shark Werks and changed filters in my Spyder yesterday. Sorry no video, but on the Spyder you lift up on the two plastic covers for the oil and antifreeze, then simply pull the carpet from under the lip of the rubber seal, folding it back into the trunk. There is an additional plastic cover the needs to be removed in order to get to one of the bolts for the computer mount. Other than the removal tool, I only needed a T25 Torx driver, a 10mm socket and ratchet, a vacuum and some petroleum jelly for the filter seals.

The tool worked great, possibly saving skin on several knuckles.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! So glad to hear I don't have to remove the engine cover! Will tackle this today. Let us know if any difference in sound or performance.. doubt it but fun to hope
Old 09-02-2017, 06:01 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed the air filters today. The tool works great. I would add a few extra things that may help first timers--The filter housing has "fins" which align with slots in the car. They will press and "snap" in place when seated. I used silicone grease on the housing green gaskets (after quickly wiping clean) and the filters outer orange ring. Seating the screws in the filter can be a PITA. I solved the problem by seating a couple of turns with the screws first by themselves , then unscrew and then attach the housing. 13,786 miles.

Last edited by fishing; 09-02-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
I changed the air filters today. The tool works great. I would add a few extra things that may help first timers--The filter housing has "fins" which align with slots in the car. They will press and "snap" in place when seated. I used silicone grease on the housing green gaskets (after quickly wiping clean) and the filters outer orange ring. Seating the screws in the filter can be a PITA. I solved the problem by seating a couple of turns with the screws first by themselves , then unscrew and then attach the housing. 13,786 miles.

Wow. That looks dirty good to see you out mileage!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
Thanks for the DIY tip!
To be honest, those filters dont look all THAT bad for 13,786 miles.
Am ordering the Sharkwerks tool today!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Tool is excellent
Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Tool is excellent
Just got mine in the mail today!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

I did my filters last week and the tool made the removal super easy. Wouldn't want to do the job without it............Phil
Old 06-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Wish I knew you guys had a sale for BMC. I already paid for the tool, you'll charge me for the price difference on the filters and shipping?

GT4 air filters get filthy pretty quick due to the ram air box and placement. Below is mine with under 6k miles, easily removed with the Sharkwerks tool. OEM filters are $90 / pair. Replacing the filters every 6k miles, the ROI on these BMC are at 12k miles.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:27 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jnosol
GT4 air filters get filthy pretty quick due to the ram air box and placement. Below is mine with under 6k miles, easily removed with the Sharkwerks tool. OEM filters are $90 / pair.
Southcoast Porsche Parts has the OEM filters for $69.94
This is a no-brainer.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Checked mine today. I'm at 9K miles wise. Was more curious than anything. I'll replace with new filters before the end of the summer.

Straight out of the car. 'Before'

After vacuuming and cleaning.

After vacuuming and cleaning - 2

Both sides before vacuuming out. Pretty dirty with a lot of rocks.

Quick Reply: Shark Werks Air Filter Removal Tool