Shark Werks Air Filter Removal Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a bump here - we will be including the tool for free with all BMC orders from our web site via Rennlist. Please make a note when ordering either "Rennlist" or "Free Tool" so we can see it.

This is a temporary offer but we have extended beyond the initial 10 units. Thanks!
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Couldnt let Tasman get a leg up on me. Just ordered a set.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:36 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Couldnt let Tasman get a leg up on me. Just ordered a set.
I think you are several legs up on me Alan. LOL
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default DIY video installation

hey folks, I caught Dan doing an installation this morning on a GT4 at the shop this morning so he made a quick video installation guide for DIY'ers. Use it for any filter change (stock too) we just happened to replace 'em with the BMCs. As you can see though with only 6k on the ODO these filters were pretty dirty indeed!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Great video. Very helpful. Looks like a pain to get to those air filters though.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video!! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by sharkster
https://youtu.be/NiDTRzxff_4
hey folks, I caught Dan doing an installation this morning on a GT4 at the shop this morning so he made a quick video installation guide for DIY'ers. Use it for any filter change (stock too) we just happened to replace 'em with the BMCs. As you can see though with only 6k on the ODO these filters were pretty dirty indeed!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Alex thanks for the video. Now you have removed my last excuse for installing mine. LOL

Have a great weekend
Old 06-19-2017, 01:07 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Great video. Very helpful. Looks like a pain to get to those air filters though.
They're not too bad to do with the tool but without it we were loosing skin & dusting up knuckles
Originally Posted by fishing
Great video!! Thanks!!
Best actor nominee for Dan
Originally Posted by tasman
Alex thanks for the video. Now you have removed my last excuse for installing mine. LOL

Have a great weekend
You too mate and get busy DIY'ing. Those things get super dirty with only a few miles on them.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

According to UPS mine are at the house.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Anyone have a spyder install video? I have the box in my hands but am reluctant to tackle the job at the moment without knowing what tools I'll need to even get into the engine
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the guidance of the excellent Shark Werks video and air filter tool, I just replaced my oem filters after 10,500 miles of mostly urban driving. Like the earlier posters, I was amazed at how dirty they were and by how much debris (leaves, grit, even some track tire rubber, etc) was in the intake path just OUTSIDE the filter. Because I've had bad experience with free flow filters and don't believe they filter as well, I stayed with paper.

Although it may seem difficult or intimidating, the air filter replacement was surprisingly easy: panel and carpet removal/installation was straight forward just as shown in the SW YouTube. I used a bit of silicon grease on the 2 sealing gaskets for each filter assembly to ease future removal and perhaps make a better seal. The factory assembly also used grease there.

A big thanks to Shark Werks for its video and for its tool which clearly made the job easier and faster - worth far more than the modest investment.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
With the guidance of the excellent Shark Werks video and air filter tool, I just replaced my oem filters after 10,500 miles of mostly urban driving. Like the earlier posters, I was amazed at how dirty they were and by how much debris (leaves, grit, even some track tire rubber, etc) was in the intake path just OUTSIDE the filter. Because I've had bad experience with free flow filters and don't believe they filter as well, I stayed with paper.

Although it may seem difficult or intimidating, the air filter replacement was surprisingly easy: panel and carpet removal/installation was straight forward just as shown in the SW YouTube. I used a bit of silicon grease on the 2 sealing gaskets for each filter assembly to ease future removal and perhaps make a better seal. The factory assembly also used grease there.

A big thanks to Shark Werks for its video and for its tool which clearly made the job easier and faster - worth far more than the modest investment.

What bad experience did you have? I've used everything down to nylons on my race bikes and have never had an issue in 20+years. The only side effect being the cleaning of MAF sensors.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I was able to change my filters with only removing the two rearward pop out pieces of carpet and the vertical piece of carpet that wraps between the two rear pieces. I pulled up and loosened the plastic piece across the top of the carpet. Using a flex head 10mm ratchet wrench and lifting up on the plastic molded trim above the DME box I was able to remove the two top bolts holding the DME in place. No problems putting it back together with this technique.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I was able to change my filters with only removing the two rearward pop out pieces of carpet and the vertical piece of carpet that wraps between the two rear pieces. I pulled up and loosened the plastic piece across the top of the carpet. Using a flex head 10mm ratchet wrench and lifting up on the plastic molded trim above the DME box I was able to remove the two top bolts holding the DME in place. No problems putting it back together with this technique.
I'll give this a shot next time I put some of these in. Thanks Alan

EDIT - Just gave this a shot because we have a GT4 here this morning for plenum/tb and tuning plus BMCs.

I can now see how it works now, but I wouldn't do it this way for a customer's car because I think it's faster for me to remove the other pieces (but I do have those interior pry tools on hand so it just takes a minute to remove them) and less risky for damaging anything.

Without removing the covers, I noticed the carpet has to be quite deformed to peel around the plastics, which is difficult and puts a lot of stress on them. I think it will damage the sharp edge of the center plastic cover if you pull too hard against it when peeling out the carpet. Check the lower/left/right edges and you can see what I mean.

Also since the center piece is locked in so securely by those side panels I would be worried about popping that piece up without damaging it. It might work, but as I peeled the carpet out from the side trims I just wasn't comfortable with the amount of stress it was putting on the different components and it seemed more difficult than just removing those covers using a pry tool. If you remove those pieces it's also easier to re-install the carpet when you're done.

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 06-28-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM
morjo02
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
https://youtu.be/NiDTRzxff_4
Nice video and thanks

Quick Reply: Shark Werks Air Filter Removal Tool