Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Potential GT4 Purchase.....(Lots of questions)

Old 05-25-2017, 01:06 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Potential GT4 Purchase.....(Lots of questions)

Ok. So, by now you've probably read about my inquiries regarding the GT4's clutch, and based on the responses, it sounds like I would 100% delighted with the transmission. I've been reading all reviews, posts on this forum, videos, etc, and it seems pretty unanimous that the car is a bonafide HIT! I'm still on the wait list for a 991.2 GT3 and I have a deposit down. If I get the GT4, this would strictly be a temporary hold over until my name is called for the GT3.

With that in mind, what is the max I should pay for one? Also, which color is the safest color in terms of max resale value? I assume white but I don't want to assume. Is Guards Red too risky? I am looking for a non-bucket seat version because my **** don't like buckets, lol. There are two on Cars.com, one white and one red (both certified), and currently priced at $100K and both have less than 5K miles. I want to be able to resale the car within 12 months for MAX value. Should I consider a non-certified one?

Lastly, can someone recommend a company for a out-of-state Pre Purchase Inspection? Both cars are out of state and I don't know if I would be able to make the trip out to inspect myself. Lastly, I need an affordable, but fantastic and closed transport vehicle shipping company. Can you also recommend?

This would be my first Porsche and I'm deviating from my plan of just waiting out for the GT3 potential allocation (25% of my gut still thinks I should just wait it out).

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:36 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

The price of GT4 at the moment is trending downwards. You will not loose an arm and a leg just because this is a highly desired car but if anyone comes and tells you the exact resale value trust me they don't know what they are talking about.

i personally would pay no more than 1K for a certified car all else being equal.. that's mostly because I've been spinning my own wrenches for a decade and GT4 is a surprisingly simple car for a modern unit. (That's why I like it so much).

Best of luck to you, and I am hoping to be an owner in about a year... who knows maybe I'll be buying YOUR car .. so please get a Carmine Red with buckets and PCCB... cheers!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a GT3 go put cash money down on one with whatever local dealer you like. VW needs $$$ and they will make a GT3 for everyone that is serious about buying one. I am a nobody, turned down my 1st GT4 allocation and still got to spec my second GT4 allocation for MSRP. Depending on Re-Sale seems way too risky to me. If this is a must don't do it. I do not see GT4 holding 100% value moving forward.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:58 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Originally Posted by drwuss
If you want a GT3 go put cash money down on one with whatever local dealer you like. VW needs $$$ and they will make a GT3 for everyone that is serious about buying one.
I already have a $2500 deposit down with a local stealer for their next allocation (I'm first on the list for that).
Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 PM
drwuss
Racer

Originally Posted by VAUROS
I already have a $2500 deposit down with a local stealer for their next allocation (I'm first on the list for that).

I think your chances are good. I say keep only that deposit and let the dealer know you are committed to getting the car through them. GT4 is rad but if you know you want something else just go for that.

Were you a GTR guy by chance?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Buying a car for a few months isn't the best financial deal out there. Now, if you can trade it and save on sales tax when the GT3 arrives, that may help a little. It's still a losing proposition. The max I'd pay is MSRP.

For max resale, I'd go with the full bucket seats. And the fewest options possible other than that. CPO may help with a private sale later, but otherwise is useless for your needs.

Any local (to the car) Porsche dealer or independent shop should be able to do a PPI. I've used Intercity Lines a few times for transport and been very happy. The best is to fly & drive home of course.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:48 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't think you have to worry about color too much re resale, get the one you like.

If you are not going to get buckets, then I would avoid a car with a super high MSRP, such as one over $100k. Even though my car does not have buckets, I don't believe it will be as hard to sell as some predict because the MSRP was only $92k. I saw a sofa seat car with an MSRP of $110k and that car is certainly not worth almost $20k more than mine. To some extent that is true even with cars with buckets. A $115k MSRP GT4 has more room to drop than a $95k MSRP GT4.

Identify which options you want. The main leather option, whether buckets or not, and PCCB or iron brakes. Those are the three options to make a decision on. Everything else is fluff.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Originally Posted by drwuss
Were you a GTR guy by chance?
Yes, I've had two GTRs in the past. My car ownership history in a nutshell has consisted of a bunch of M3s, GTRs, Nismo Z, and a one-off horrible decision, Pontiac GTO .
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Slightly off-topic, how do you guys feel about GT cars with multiple owners? How many owners is too many?

Last edited by VAUROS; 05-25-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

The condition of the car matters more than the # of owners. There are some who need the latest and greatest or who get bored easily and change cars often. For some reason, this affects high-end cars the most.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:41 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Agreed. These are still relatively low mileage and new cars so unless abused, they will pretty much drive as new and there is less need for a through PPI if not tracked frequently.

Contrast that with a ten year old car that was tracked frequently and had many owners / modifications. Can be hard to track down the history of the car. I know on my Lotus forum, many people buy cars and don't know what kind of shocks / brakes / etc are even on the car because it has had so many owners over the years.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM
drwuss
Racer

If you have a cool car now I still say hold out for gt3. Other option may be find a used gt3 once the new ones start to land. I am guessing those values will start to drop if they haven't already.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Roadster08
Advanced

One of Porsche you may consider if you plan to sell in a year is a Cayman R. It's a good intro into the Porsche line up, and with most being out of the main part of the depreciation curve means you won't lose too much. Just a thought.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^I like the Cayman R idea, because there is a lot less risk from a depreciation standpoint. They are fantastic cars.

Regarding the GT4, there have been a number of transmission failures. I would get the CPI.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by VAUROS
Slightly off-topic, how do you guys feel about GT cars with multiple owners? How many owners is too many?
Depends if they came inside.

Please tell me your question is not serious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential GT4 Purchase.....(Lots of questions)