Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Clutch Feel...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Question GT4 Clutch Feel...

While I wait on the 991.2 GT3 list (killing me softly) I've been looking at the GT4 as something that could make the wait bearable. I haven't driven a manual in a few years but my last manual had a normal weighted clutch (not overly heavy). I don't like heavy or vague feeling clutches because I have joint issues in my knees. Also, I would primarily drive it on back roads and maybe track 1-2 times a year. Is it a waste for road driving based on the gear ratios?

Is the clutch easy to modulate, has good feel, good catch point, etc?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:38 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Personally I would say the clutch weight is great could be a hair heavier but much nicer then the squishy clutches they are putting in the M cars now. This is all personal opinion though. Car is not wasted at all for street driving and is a very fun car. I would recommend that everyone should have one at some point in there life if they can.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

GT4 will be more fun on the street than the GT3.

For me the clutch is great. It is personal - some think it's too heavy, others think it's too light. Nothing like the 997.2 GT3RS clutch!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by VAUROS
While I wait on the 991.2 GT3 list (killing me softly) I've been looking at the GT4 as something that could make the wait bearable. I haven't driven a manual in a few years but my last manual had a normal weighted clutch (not overly heavy). I don't like heavy or vague feeling clutches because I have joint issues in my knees. Also, I would primarily drive it on back roads and maybe track 1-2 times a year. Is it a waste for road driving based on the gear ratios?

Is the clutch easy to modulate, has good feel, good catch point, etc?
^yes to all 3, IMHO.
Great street car/DD!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Personally I would say the clutch weight is great could be a hair heavier but much nicer then the squishy clutches they are putting in the M cars now. This is all personal opinion though. Car is not wasted at all for street driving and is a very fun car. I would recommend that everyone should have one at some point in there life if they can.
Yea, my gut is telling me that a GT4 should be my first Porsche, not the GT3, lol. I use to have a Nismo Z years ago and the clutch catch point was very vague and it was easy to stall it out occasionally.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Car 6
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have a complicated relationship with clutches, and have spent the last year finding ways to get along with my GT4. I had a stick shift Corvette for 10 years with no problem, and assumed that the GT4 would not be any more physically demanding. But it turned out that the clutch was almost twice the effort of the Corvette (65 lbs vs. 35 lbs measured with a bathroom scale on the pedal). I had a weak thigh tendon that was OK with the Corvette, but took a week to recover from the GT4. Other than increased force, the whole shifting process in the GT4 is much better. The transmission is close to perfect, and the clutch motion and take-up are so much more linear than the Corvette that I now know why people pay Porsche prices. I've made a lot of modifications to my clutch and my leg to deal with all this, all of which would take many boring pages to describe. Fro the present I'd say try out the clutch and see how it works for you. And I'd emphasize that your should try a GT4 and not just a stick Cayman. This is because I think the stiff clutch may be the result of keeping the standard Cayman clutch assist spring (at the pedal) while switching to a clutch strong enough for the 3.8 engine. At significant expense, I had the stronger 911 assist spring installed and lowered the pedal effort to under 40 lbs.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:03 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 572 Posts

Smooth, precise, best shifting car I've ever owned . Downside is waiting to see if third gear goes away? Kind of feels like I'm playing Russian roulette with every 2-3 or 4-3 shift. Carl
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Car 6
I also have a complicated relationship with clutches, and have spent the last year finding ways to get along with my GT4. I had a stick shift Corvette for 10 years with no problem, and assumed that the GT4 would not be any more physically demanding. But it turned out that the clutch was almost twice the effort of the Corvette (65 lbs vs. 35 lbs measured with a bathroom scale on the pedal). I had a weak thigh tendon that was OK with the Corvette, but took a week to recover from the GT4. Other than increased force, the whole shifting process in the GT4 is much better. The transmission is close to perfect, and the clutch motion and take-up are so much more linear than the Corvette that I now know why people pay Porsche prices. I've made a lot of modifications to my clutch and my leg to deal with all this, all of which would take many boring pages to describe. Fro the present I'd say try out the clutch and see how it works for you. And I'd emphasize that your should try a GT4 and not just a stick Cayman. This is because I think the stiff clutch may be the result of keeping the standard Cayman clutch assist spring (at the pedal) while switching to a clutch strong enough for the 3.8 engine. At significant expense, I had the stronger 911 assist spring installed and lowered the pedal effort to under 40 lbs.
^ Great post.

To the OP: GT4 clutch is somewhere (33-66%?) between "consumer grade" Porsche sports cars (which have light clutches) and 997 GT3s (high effort or even too high effort in the eyes of some while others love it). One thing I didn't like in a recent drive in a 991.2 GTS was what seemed like not-quite-predictable clutch takeup. Another driver felt the same way. Have not noticed that in my GT4.

But: Yes, I'd strongly consider starting with a GT4 as a first Porsche over a GT3 as a first Porsche—it's a great street and occasional track-day car.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:12 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Originally Posted by stout
^ Great post.

To the OP: GT4 clutch is somewhere (33-66%?) between "consumer grade" Porsche sports cars (which have light clutches) and 997 GT3s (high effort or even too high effort in the eyes of some while others love it). One thing I didn't like in a recent drive in a 991.2 GTS was what seemed like not-quite-predictable clutch takeup. Another driver felt the same way. Have not noticed that in my GT4.

But: Yes, I'd strongly consider starting with a GT4 as a first Porsche over a GT3 as a first Porsche—it's a great street and occasional track-day car.
Yes, I HATE clutches with that "not-quite-predictable" feeling to it. The Nismo had this literal void of no feeling until right at the catch point, so it was basically muscle memory on when to engage throttle versus being able to "feel" when to do it. I would rate myself as an average manual driver (no heel/toe skill, yet) so I have to be able to feel everything in regards to the clutch and it has to be linear and progressive end-to-end.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:28 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

GT4 clutch is very predictable and not overly heavy all for my tastes. Regular 911s are like marshmallows.

But if have a physical ailment or prior injury, I can understand not wanting to stress it.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 PM
4carl
Race Car

i had a 996 GT3 &996GT2 they were really heavy the GT4 is heavier than a 981 but not bad .
Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

The best "modern" clutch I've driven, still think it hard to find anything that has as much feel as some of the older cars. One of the things that amazed me when I picked up the car was how easy it was to get used to the clutch, zero learning curve and immediately felt comfortable with it. It is sports car heavy but nothing like the older cars...
Old 05-24-2017, 08:54 PM
4carl
Race Car

i grew up with 60s era mussel cars ..a whole different thing no assist of any kind just brute force.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT 4 is much nicer even with hill hold feature. My 07 911 GT3 was a workout with gridlock traffic and if you did not drive it regularly. My 2015 911 GT3 caused calf atrophy.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

GT4 clutch is much better than 987.2
Does not slip, the takeup position is more defined and shorter. Yes its a little heavier.
It also has a spring plate which makes lauches so damn perfect, which IMO is better than PDK, although PDK is better/faster for a 1-2 shift.
The best of any car I've driven.

Quick Reply: GT4 Clutch Feel...