Sponsored by: APR

What next after gt4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What next after gt4?

Was wondering what next car people are buying after the Gt4?

I have a young daughter so it is starting to bug me that we can't take the good car anywhere we go as a family. So I've decided the next car needs to have rear seats. It also needs to be manual and NA which narrows the field quite a lot.

My first choice is the GT3 Touring (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-new-post.html) assuming that it actually happens and it has back seats.

If that doesn't work out, I'd consider a 991.1 gts if I can find a manual one, or failing that potentially an e92 M3 for that beautiful v8 sound. If I went the m3 route I'd consider supercharging it to give it a bit more punch (I know it's not NA then but it will keep that glorious exhaust note).

What next car are others looking at? Many going to roll into the next gt4?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Ordered 911 Carrera GTS. Just traded in the GT4 on Friday
Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just ordered a Ferarri 488, still gonna keep the GT4 though
Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm keeping the GT4---way too much fun per dollar.

But but I do have a 991.1 GTS that I think compliments the car very well. Outside of the Porsche brand I'd love a Ferrari 458 or an Aston Martin DB9 or Vantage.

If my GTS is bought back (dealer did not disclose a previous accident) then I am looking again at the 991.1 GTS or the Aston Martin Vantage V12 S...getting harder and harder to find a NA 12 cylinder and the Aston looks great. I'd go used of course, I see many with msrp over 215k at one or two year old close to 130-150.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:42 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a 991.2 GT3. Wish I could keep both but I can't. GT4 will be gone by the end of the year. Gonna squeeze a few more track days before I trade it in.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Going back to dedicated track car, got allocation for one of fifty Shelby FP350s. Will miss the GT4 as it is a great car and so much fun.

Info. Link: https://performanceparts.ford.com/FP350S/
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Was wondering what next car people are buying after the Gt4?

I have a young daughter so it is starting to bug me that we can't take the good car anywhere we go as a family. So I've decided the next car needs to have rear seats. It also needs to be manual and NA which narrows the field quite a lot.

My first choice is the GT3 Touring (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-new-post.html) assuming that it actually happens and it has back seats.

If that doesn't work out, I'd consider a 991.1 gts if I can find a manual one, or failing that potentially an e92 M3 for that beautiful v8 sound. If I went the m3 route I'd consider supercharging it to give it a bit more punch (I know it's not NA then but it will keep that glorious exhaust note).

What next car are others looking at? Many going to roll into the next gt4?
In same spot, and it's looking like a 991.2 Carrera MT with PCCB is on the horizon. I know, unicorn spec.

Having spent time in every 991.1 and 991.2 to date save the 991.2 GT3 (which doesn't have the back seats I'd like to have anyway), and having just returned from a trip to drive the 991.2 GTS, I've come to the conclusion a lot of serious drivers will skip over one of the best 911s of the last decade for two reasons: 1) They the power curve and noises will be like 996/997/991 Turbo (it isn't, and they aren't), and 2) it doesn't have a cool enough badge. Too bad, because the car is fast (!), complete, and somehow magical when it comes to the chassis tuning. It's a real sweet spot among 911s.

Sounds like you've got to have a NA engine, and I understand that but am not religious when it comes to power plants—so long as they're good. And the turbo 3.0 is one of Porsche's best engines to date. For real.

Of the choices ventured so far, 991.1 GTS is a great one. I actually like the 997.2 GTS a lot more than the 991.1 GTS, but finding a coupe in the right spec for me (MT with Achleitner's special GTS suspension instead of the optional—and carryover—Sport suspension) is nearly impossible. The 997 GTS was another sweet spot, arguably my second favorite 997 after the RS 4.0.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

911 is the obvious choice.

you only need to decide to buy pre-owned model or new.

I haul my 3 year old around in my manual 997.1 turbo as daily driver (wife uses macan)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll keep my GT4 for a bit. I have some cargraphic headers to put on it and a DSC Sport suspension module coming and will get an IPD plenum and 83mm TB to put on the car and then get it tuned. I'll trade it eventually on a new GT3 some time in the future. I was tempted to get a 991.2 GT3 but I'm in no rush to change.

But I have ordered an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, to use as my sensible daily car and to replace my A45 AMG. It's both turbo and auto so it doesn't meet Bardman's criteria, but as a daily it should be fun . Whether it's a good idea to buy it instead of an M3/M4 or C63 AMG (noting FCAs somewhat checkered reliability and service record) remains to be seen....
Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Buteo
I'm keeping the GT4---way too much fun per dollar.

But but I do have a 991.1 GTS that I think compliments the car very well. Outside of the Porsche brand I'd love a Ferrari 458 or an Aston Martin DB9 or Vantage.

If my GTS is bought back (dealer did not disclose a previous accident) then I am looking again at the 991.1 GTS or the Aston Martin Vantage V12 S...getting harder and harder to find a NA 12 cylinder and the Aston looks great. I'd go used of course, I see many with msrp over 215k at one or two year old close to 130-150.
The GT4 is definitely a lot of fun, and agree the V12 Vantage would be a nice car to have.

I am curious though, how does the engine in the 991.1 gts compare to the GT4 engine? The gear ratios on the 991.1 gts are more favourable for street driving also, no? Curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JRidge
Ordered a 991.2 GT3. Wish I could keep both but I can't. GT4 will be gone by the end of the year. Gonna squeeze a few more track days before I trade it in.
I'm sure you'll miss the GT4, but the GT3 will be some consolation prize!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stout
In same spot, and it's looking like a 991.2 Carrera MT with PCCB is on the horizon. I know, unicorn spec.

Having spent time in every 991.1 and 991.2 to date save the 991.2 GT3 (which doesn't have the back seats I'd like to have anyway), and having just returned from a trip to drive the 991.2 GTS, I've come to the conclusion a lot of serious drivers will skip over one of the best 911s of the last decade for two reasons: 1) They the power curve and noises will be like 996/997/991 Turbo (it isn't, and they aren't), and 2) it doesn't have a cool enough badge. Too bad, because the car is fast (!), complete, and somehow magical when it comes to the chassis tuning. It's a real sweet spot among 911s.

Sounds like you've got to have a NA engine, and I understand that but am not religious when it comes to power plants—so long as they're good. And the turbo 3.0 is one of Porsche's best engines to date. For real.

Of the choices ventured so far, 991.1 GTS is a great one. I actually like the 997.2 GTS a lot more than the 991.1 GTS, but finding a coupe in the right spec for me (MT with Achleitner's special GTS suspension instead of the optional—and carryover—Sport suspension) is nearly impossible. The 997 GTS was another sweet spot, arguably my second favorite 997 after the RS 4.0.
The NA thing is not so much religious, but how a car sounds is a really important part of the experience to me, and to date I have not heard a turbo motor that I like the sound of. There is also the emotional draw of an engine spinning up high in the rev range which is hard to beat. Finally, NA engines have an organic 'feel' to the way they deliver power which I would definitely miss in a turbo car.

I had not considered a 997 GTS, I guess I would be worried that the power would feel a bit underdone, particularly as I already feel the GT4 could use a few more horses. I will widen my search, however, and get behind the wheel of one for a test drive if I can, thanks.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
911 is the obvious choice.

you only need to decide to buy pre-owned model or new.

I haul my 3 year old around in my manual 997.1 turbo as daily driver (wife uses macan)
As the new 911's are turbo it needs to be pre-owned. Its very hard to find manual pre-owned cars, however, it seems everyone specs them with PDK. Since January of this year, not a single 991.1 GTS manual has appeared for sale anywhere in Australia.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quack
I'll keep my GT4 for a bit. I have some cargraphic headers to put on it and a DSC Sport suspension module coming and will get an IPD plenum and 83mm TB to put on the car and then get it tuned. I'll trade it eventually on a new GT3 some time in the future. I was tempted to get a 991.2 GT3 but I'm in no rush to change.

But I have ordered an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, to use as my sensible daily car and to replace my A45 AMG. It's both turbo and auto so it doesn't meet Bardman's criteria, but as a daily it should be fun . Whether it's a good idea to buy it instead of an M3/M4 or C63 AMG (noting FCAs somewhat checkered reliability and service record) remains to be seen....
Between the Alfa and an M3/M4 or C63 I think the Alfa is the most interesting. No manual gearbox (in Australia) so not for me, but it looks like a return to a focus on the driving experience, something which BMW seem to have forgotten and which AMG has never really delivered (possibly new AMG GTR is an exception here).
Old 05-23-2017, 12:34 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

The NA thing is not so much religious, but how a car sounds is a really important part of the experience to me, and to date I have not heard a turbo motor that I like the sound of. There is also the emotional draw of an engine spinning up high in the rev range which is hard to beat. Finally, NA engines have an organic 'feel' to the way they deliver power which I would definitely miss in a turbo car.
Ruf CTR would change your mind—sounds like a 3.0 RSR, but no one believes it until they're in it. The modern Abarth is another turbo car not lacking in terms of voice. The 991.2 isn't as good as either of those, unfortunately. The standard exhaust is sure to disappoint you, and I find Porsche's sport exhaust overdone, with all of the pops and backfires...and wonder what the aftermarket might do for a 991.2. If Fister worked its magic, you might not be bummed.

Also, the new 3.0 isn't like the old 6850 rpm Turbo engines, which make peak torque at 10 rpm and then hold it exactly there for 3000-4000 rpm. The 3.0 revs to 7500 rpm, so only 300 less than the outgoing NA engine and, more importantly, it revs like it wants to go up there and has a compelling powerband. They tuned it to feel NA in the way it delivers its power—and the vast majority of the time, it does.

One word of advice when it comes to 991.2s, however: Try to test drive one that is as simple as possible. Skip all the RWS, PDCC, etc. You don't need it. The simple car is really good for road work.

I had not considered a 997 GTS, I guess I would be worried that the power would feel a bit underdone, particularly as I already feel the GT4 could use a few more horses. I will widen my search, however, and get behind the wheel of one for a test drive if I can, thanks.
First Powerkit 9A1 was a really nice engine, too. While not as powerful as the one in the 991.1 GTS, it isn't lacking at all, and no soft spots as in GT4 engine. More importantly, the 997 is just a nice size and the special GTS chassis is REALLY keen. A better car for back roads than any GT3 save the first RS 4.0, imo, and probably even then.

As the new 911's are turbo it needs to be pre-owned. Its very hard to find manual pre-owned cars, however, it seems everyone specs them with PDK. Since January of this year, not a single 991.1 GTS manual has appeared for sale anywhere in Australia.
At the 991.2 GTS launch, PCNA mentioned that 37% of 911 GTS customers spec a manual transmission. My bet is those cars have higher retention rates...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:52 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree that not being able to take the fam/kids out with the car is a drag... decided to keep the GT4 and picked up an M3 for those family get aways.

Quick Reply: What next after gt4?