Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

What next after gt4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I hired a new C4S Cab in Germany last year for a week's driving in the Black Forest, Swiss Alps and some parts of Northern France. I thought the 3L turbo motor was smok'n good and sounds genuinely authentic with the top down and doing 200+ on the autobahns; also handled a treat in the alpine passes. They've done a very good job and a GTS would be a very tempting road car.

For my own part, I have a few cars and will probably keep the GT4 until later 2018 when I hope to get my .2 GT3 (past the kids stage of life). I also have 996.1 1999 build GT3 which is undergoing a ground up resto and I'll probably keep her. Also have a supercharged Gallardo LP550-2 (760bhp 600lb/ft) which is the best fast back country road car I have owned and a Reiter Lambo GT3 car for competition which makes the rest seem a bit tame on the track. The new GT3 just sounds too good to pass up but I've told my dealer I'd like to wait till towards the end of the production run so I can enjoy my GT4 for a decent period of time (got it last September). The GT4 is a fantastic car; just a bit short in the engine compartment.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
" while the best combo is a car that feels exciting without putting your license (or worse) at ridiculous risk."

pete, just suck it up and drive the 914.
my 72 is currently my favorite car. i swear i was going warp speed, look down... oh, ok.... 65mph....
So you caught the old-car bug bad now. I've been driving the same old Porsche for 28 years, and still like it in small doses & occasional longer ones. So, yes, the 914 with a small six and a big voice may soon take over for GT4 for blowing out cobwebs on LVR and elsewhere...

If I didn't need back seats, I don't think I'd let go of the GT4. It's my first new Porsche, and has been a really fun daily. Makes every drive special, and is both loop and track capable. The chassis and brakes are sublime, as are the looks. But if I keep it, I'd be sorely tempted to mod it with a few key upgrades—all of them related to the powertrain & none of them cheap or warranty friendly.

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I thought the 3L turbo motor was smok'n good and sounds genuinely authentic with the top down and doing 200+ on the autobahns; also handled a treat in the alpine passes. They've done a very good job and a GTS would be a very tempting road car.
Yep.

And, given your stable, strong words.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
" while the best combo is a car that feels exciting without putting your license (or worse) at ridiculous risk."

pete, just suck it up and drive the 914.
my 72 is currently my favorite car. i swear i was going warp speed, look down... oh, ok.... 65mph....
Same thing with my Elise with top down. Floor it for what feels like 15 seconds. Engine hits the 8k redline in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then near top of 4th gear. Only 105 mph.

I tend to use the GT4 as an all arounder though. Grand touring, track, back roads, groceries, you name it.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:33 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GT 350

Traded my GT4 for a Shelby GT350. Helps that I have a 991 GT3 for track use. The sound of the Voodoo is intoxicating and worth the $60k admission. It's my daily driver and it's perfect. Has rear seats. I DD the GT4 and it just wasn't fun for a daily. Wasn't really fun driving to work every day compared to the Shelby. They are holding their values well. I'll dump it in a year but have really enjoyed the car. Have had multiple Mcars and Pcars. Puts a smile on my face every time start her up, more so than all of my other cars (although I loved the exhaust note on my E92 and C63 as well.). Ford is by far the best bang for $.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Only one choice really - 991.2 GT3.
Waiting until late November. . .
Old 05-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by p997s123
Puts a smile on my face every time start her up, more so than all of my other cars (although I loved the exhaust note on my E92 and C63 as well.). Ford is by far the best bang for $.
Out of curiosity, what does the Shelby 350 have over the E92 you used to own?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Yep - hopefully in about a year.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

But not for the OP, unless they do go ahead and add back seats as an option in the .2 GT3.

I'm hopeful, but not overly so…
Old 05-26-2017, 03:32 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
But not for the OP, unless they do go ahead and add back seats as an option in the .2 GT3.

I'm hopeful, but not overly so…
Oops. Back seats? I thought he was looking for a sports car.
Never mind.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Oops. Back seats? I thought he was looking for a sports car.
Never mind.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:07 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

My thought is as long as there's empty space in the GT3, until they put the engine there like the RSR, why not make rear seats an option?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:19 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
My thought is as long as there's empty space in the GT3, until they put the engine there like the RSR, why not make rear seats an option?
We discovered (the hard way) that the rear space is very difficult to access with the current LWB which does not fold.

The RS is our first 911, and we love a lot about it - but might opt to use the GT4 for road trips (it's also my track car).

The GT4 carrying capacity is impressive and easily accessed between front boot and rear hatch.

The RS boot is equal - but we must move one seat all the way forward (the other seat back) to access the rear from between the seats. Or move both seats forward to try and slide items behind the seats. This works for something relatively small - but we're not sure how easily we'll get soft duffle bags in, if we want to use the car for a road trip. And anything heavy must be lifted out with care - either from inbetween the seats, or between the seatback and door.

If they put back seats in there I have no idea how a person would climb in unless they were a child or extremely petite and nimble. The LWB not folding is a big deal, and it never occurred to us. We don't regret buying the car but I think next time (if there was a next time) we'd spec the 18 way comfy seats.

The only way I'd count on using rear seats in a 991 is if the seats fold or articulate in a way that makes getting into the back accessible.

And if they are LWB - even if I can get stuff in the back, Is the CF going to get badly scratched in the process because it's tough to access?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
We discovered (the hard way) that the rear space is very difficult to access with the current LWB which does not fold.

The RS is our first 911, and we love a lot about it - but might opt to use the GT4 for road trips (it's also my track car).

The GT4 carrying capacity is impressive and easily accessed between front boot and rear hatch.

The RS boot is equal - but we must move one seat all the way forward (the other seat back) to access the rear from between the seats. Or move both seats forward to try and slide items behind the seats. This works for something relatively small - but we're not sure how easily we'll get soft duffle bags in, if we want to use the car for a road trip. And anything heavy must be lifted out with care - either from inbetween the seats, or between the seatback and door.

If they put back seats in there I have no idea how a person would climb in unless they were a child or extremely petite and nimble. The LWB not folding is a big deal, and it never occurred to us. We don't regret buying the car but I think next time (if there was a next time) we'd spec the 18 way comfy seats.

The only way I'd count on using rear seats in a 991 is if the seats fold or articulate in a way that makes getting into the back accessible.

And if they are LWB - even if I can get stuff in the back, Is the CF going to get badly scratched in the process because it's tough to access?
Good to read you kept a GT4.
Was thinking about buying an RS, until my dealer inexplicably decided to not have a waiting list anymore and return deposits, but would order the 18 ways and buy a driver side halo Recaro if I decided to track it.
Not a fan of exposed CF, and it's more difficult to have it with the standard LWBs and find the 18 ways later.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:23 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

d00d - I agree.

We had 2 GT4's for about 6 mo and the yellow had the 18 way seats. They were fantastic and if we spec'd another 991 (even an RS) I think we'd go for comfy seats. You're right - I tried to find 18 way for the RS. Very difficult to source. Easier if we were willing to sell or swap LWB but we want to keep them so the car matches the build sheet (for when we sell).

We are enjoying it and no regrets but we learned a few things in case there's a next time.

I LUV the GT4. It's a keeper!
Old 05-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
Going back to dedicated track car, got allocation for one of fifty Shelby FP350s. Will miss the GT4 as it is a great car and so much fun.

Info. Link: https://performanceparts.ford.com/FP350S/
congrats on the allocation. Sexy race car & looks like it will be fun & challenging on track. Report back on experience & track times.

Quick Reply: What next after gt4?